shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do you spend on handbags?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Not my thing- in fact, I rarely even carry a bag. Usually a just toss my credit cards in a Coach wristlet (gift haha).

The "nicer" bags that I own (Coach) were all gifts.

Sometimes I think about getting a nice bag. And then I realize that I rarely even carry one! Why bother? I''d rather save for bling, which I can enjoy forever.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I don''t own any designer bags. In general, I won''t spend more than $100 on a bag, though I might go a bit higher if I was in love with it. I guess my price range is similar to shoes ... I generally don''t spend more than $100 on those either.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:19:30 AM
Author: TravelingGal
I never spent much. I got yelled at by a few of my friends that I need to upgrade my purse. I was like, meh, whatever. I like practicality over designer names, generally speaking.

But then I had a kid and spent money on a DIAPER BAG.
20.gif
They sell for 700 at Barneys, but they do sample sales and I was able to get the one I wanted for 295, which is a lot of freaking money on a diaper bag. But I LOVE it. It is a practical bag (minus the fact that it''s leather, but I don''t find that an issue). I''ve tried a lot of diaper bags. Ju Ju Be, Fleurville, blah blah, but my not rational is the one I reach for the most.

Mine is similar the the one below - mine is more wine/burgundy and lighter colored. I love it!

That is a really beautiful and not diaper looking diaper bag
1.gif

I would spend anywhere from $30-$200 on a handbag - I like having a bag I won''t cry over if I get it dirty.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I like to keep it under €1000 any one item.

The problem is that I am hankering after a black Le Fab
30.gif
. Really badly but it is over 2.5k and I know that for that kind of cash Erica Grace would have something amazing with my name on it. I worry also about losing or damaging a bag that expensive. Ohh errrr.

I keep telling myself it is a phase; I loved the white MC speedy for years but now not so much - esp as it has gone up about €500 in that time!

Sigh...

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
My cap on handbags is around $500, but I usually spend between $300 - $400. For shoes, it''s around $100 for shoes, $200 for boots. I would like to get a pair of Louboutin D''Orsay pumps though, and they are around $500, so maybe I can put them on my Xmas list ;-)

soocool

Ideal_Rock
When I was in my 20s there was a handbag factory near me that had an outlet store. I bought a ton of Stone Mountain bags then for around $20.00 that sold for $50.- $75.00 in the late 70''s early 80s. I still have a few of them and they are in great condition. I guess you could practically call them vintage(ha ha)

A few years ago I worked part time at an Etienne Aigner outlet and stocked up on handbags with my employee discount. Twice a year we had an employee 50% off everything in the store appreciation day. I am thinking about working at the Coach outlet near me for the discount as well. I have to talk to someone there and find out how much it is.

My daughter is really into designer handbags, but she goes to the famous Rice''s Flea Market to buy the knock-offs. Believe it or not with the abuse they get they really hold up.

I guess if I had to I would probably spend up to $100 - $150 on a well made designer bag (probably find on sale or at ebags, etc.) knowing that if it were well made it .

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 7:42:35 AM
Author: sba771
I love designer bags, but I always look to get classic ones that will be timeless.

Ditto - I''m a big fan of classic designer bags. I do buy for my budget though - when we first got out of college, that meant $100-200 on Coach bags. Now that we''ve got a little more in the bank, I''m on to Rebecca Minkoffs, but I mostly buy them at a discount - my most expensive one was $500 for a vintage Eggplant matinee, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE that bag and will carry if for years.

I think when I have the budget I might do a few classic Chanel and/or Hermes, things I can carry for decades
1.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I usually spend a couple hundred on handbags, but I definitely would spend more if I had it

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As little as possible so as to have more money for BLING!

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I typically buy 2 every year. Usually Coach. I''ve never spent more than $500 so far, but I was headng in that directon until the market tanked. Usually buy on ebay.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/29/2009 12:48:04 PM
Author: AprilBaby

This is an interesting thread, indeed! A friend of mine-a very dear, old friend-just died. She always said that she was fascinated at the things on which people spent their money. It has given me thought over the years...and I have always thought of her when I thought of the topic. Some people want a home that is perfect and will always spend money working on it. Some people want to travel. Some people want jewelry. Some people want clothes. Some people want to spend it on their children or on going to cultural events or want to save it. It is fascinating.

Here on Pricescope, at least we do not sit in judgement of one another because whether we buy one thing or another, we all like material goods. We all, at least, appreciate diamonds! (Or other things that come out of the earth and are crafted into jewelry like gemstones or gold!)

AGBF
34.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 1:29:25 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
3/29/2009 12:48:04 PM
Author: AprilBaby

This is an interesting thread, indeed! A friend of mine-a very dear, old friend-just died. She always said that she was fascinated at the things on which people spent their money. It has given me thought over the years...and I have always thought of her when I thought of the topic. Some people want a home that is perfect and will always spend money working on it. Some people want to travel. Some people want jewelry. Some people want clothes. Some people want to spend it on their children or on going to cultural events or want to save it. It is fascinating.

Here on Pricescope, at least we do not sit in judgement of one another because whether we buy one thing or another, we all like material goods. We all, at least, appreciate diamonds! (Or other things that come out of the earth and are crafted into jewelry like gemstones or gold!)

AGBF
34.gif
This is so true. I am the only woman in my family who collects jewelry, and most of my aunts don''t even have diamond engagement rings. They sort of make fun of me (you should have heard them when they saw my Jewel Jet), and one aunt went so far as to chastise me for "wasting" money on something that really isn''t an investment.

However, that same aunt went bananas buying "shabby chic" homes in a "gentrifying" neighborhood when they were telling everyone to invest in real estate a few years back. She now owns 8 shacks in a dangerous neighborhood that she can''t rent, never mind sell. So, I don''t feel bad about spending money on "frivolous" jewelry - sometimes even "sound" investments like real estate will go bad.

Either way, the point is, people like what they like. As long as you don''t drive yourself into debt with your "hobby" spending, I don''t think there''s any harm in it.

Mrs.Guz

Shiny_Rock
The most I will spend is around $300.00.
emteeth.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately I have spent thousands of dollars on LV bags and wallets. I used to have lots of Coach bags too. I used to carry a Coach bag for a month or two and then give it to my mom. I''ve been through a lot of them! One day it hit me that I have spent way too much money on bags, so I quit buying them. I have been carrying the same LV for the past three years. When I replace it, it won''t be with another LV. I think I''ll head to the Coach outlet instead.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The most I''ve spent is €500 on a second hand Jimmy Choo bag. All the rest of my bags are about €50. I''m not a bag girl at all. Would rather spend my money on shoes.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
More or less, all of my bags are Coach. That said, I don't think I've ever bought a handbag that's full price (pouches and wristlets, yes, but not bags), and with the exception of two bags that were gifts, none of my bags cost more than $125 - I do feel a little uncomfortable when I'm carrying a bag that retailed for more than $600. That's crazy to me, because for the average person in my area, that's a month's rent or most of a mortgage payment, even though I know it's not a big deal in other parts of the country.

That's part of why I stick with Coach - I know it's one of the more inexpensive designers, and I really do love the design/feel/quality. I'd say I probably purchase two Coach items a year (so maybe a small bag and a wristlet), but last year I think I only bought one and it was on Ebay. I'm really slowing down now - not really because of the economy, but because I'm kinda at the point that to have a bag in every color/size/style that I want, and since I don't carry a handbag daily/take very good care of them, all are in like-new shape.

So - back to the OP, I kinda agree with both you and your husband. It's not at all bizarre to spend $100-200 on a nice bag, but it does seem a little frivolous to me if a person is buying a dozen bags in that price range or higher in the span of one year. I have plenty of friends who think I'm crazy because I only buy Coach bags, but these same friends will spend $30 on their handbags, and buy 4 in one year because they don't hold up, and then the bag will end up in the trash or at Salvation Army after a season - so in essence, spent the same as a Coach bag for something that didn't last. To me, that's much more wasteful!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
19.99 to 3,200.00

Just bought 2 Felix Ray little clutches at Target, 19.99 each
Earlier this year I bought a Chanel classic quilted bag and matching wallet.

Also found a brown Makowsky at T J Maxx that I loved, 160.00

I doubt I''ll be buying any more Chanel''s any time soon.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I would not spend over $200 on a bag...I use a bag every day...a backpack(I have 3) leather hard side or soft side briefcase(9 cases in blk,brown, or two-tone).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
My bags are mostly ''worth'' $300-600. I rarely purchase more than one in a year. I tend to buy at Sample Sales and on eBay, so I don''t usually pay full price. I have one Balenciaga bag which I regret purchasing (full price at their boutique
14.gif
) because I''m just not comfortable spending that much for a bag.

I do not purchase fake bags. I take issue with the industry. I''d rather keep using an authentic bag I already own, or buy something nice that''s not ''designer'' to begin with.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
My only expensive purse was about $600... an LV Speedy. I felt bad spending so much on a bag but I''m really picky and would rather not carry faux leather or a style that will quickly be out. I think the Speedy is a timeless design so I''ll have it forever.

anyname

Shiny_Rock
hmm...I don''t buy bags on a regular basis. But i do have a list of bags i would like to own. Like a classic Chanel flap, and i would like to get a Hermes for my mom. But i try to look for consignments and used bags.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Normally I will spend a couple hundred. I LOVE PURSES AND SHOES! I did splurge on a Gucci ($900) with my very first big girl career paycheck. I will spend around 1K if it is something that I will have for a LONG TIME. If I am spending a couple hundred, it needs to be something I will use quite a bit. I like to rotate my purses every few weeks or so and my poor Gucci is getting worn
8.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have carried Coach leather bags for years. My last one I got at an outlet and carred for about 10 years. My latest is a vintage all leather red bag which I got about two years ago from eBay and is going strong. I prefer the older leather styles. I was amazed that they show up on eBay in virtually new condition. Apparently there are a lot of women out there who buy purses, use them briefly, then throw them into the closet. Fifteen years later they clean out their closet, and sell them on eBay. I like to bid on the ones with the lousy, tiny pictures. You get the best deals then. It pains me to spend more than about $300 on a bag, but I love the old Coach quality.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually spend less than $500. The only exception was my Marc Jacobs Stam bag, but I had to have that one so I don''t care! I am not a bag switcher at all, and I''ll carry one bag for months before I switch to another one, so I think I get a lot of use out of them which makes the cost make more sense.

I only have around 10 pricier bags because I buy maybe 2-3 a year max and I just got into them a few years ago. I have a pretty solid collection of the different colors I want, so I doubt I''ll buy many more for a couple of years.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
i'' m currently looking at three different handbags with a view to buying all three; one fendi, one chloe and one valentino. total price about 4k. this also represents a 20% discount through bluefly. but i have a gut feeling that before i pull the trigger i''ll be sitting looking at them thinking ''hmmm - three handbags...or a few days on grand cayman island....hmmmmmm..."

and *then* i''ll think...

"3 nights on grand cayman island or....build 40 wells in africa and give 40 villages fresh water....hmmmmm...."

and that''ll be the end of the bags AND the island holiday. :)

i''m very easy on clothes - and bags especially, so i keep my things a long time, ergo the things i spent a lot of money on 10 years ago - i''ll still have 10 years from now. i have 3 favorite bags; one custom made for me by a very nice woman who makes bags for barneys in NYC - black suede with red velvet ribbon detail - about $600 5 years ago, a navy croc ferragamo which cost me about $500 12 years ago, and my all time favorite - a black sequoia shoulder bag, leather as soft as butter, i spent $1k for and bought as a sample straight off the showroom floor in paris in 2002.

i''m a bag addict, but my conscience gives me *some* degree of perspective.

and so it should. :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
3/29/2009 11:15:58 PM
Author: whitby_2773

i' m currently looking at three different handbags with a view to buying all three; one fendi, one chloe and one valentino. total price about 4k....

and *then* i'll think...

'3 nights on grand cayman island or....build 40 wells in africa and give 40 villages fresh water....hmmmmm....'

and that'll be the end of the bags AND the island holiday. :)

i'm a bag addict, but my conscience gives me *some* degree of perspective.

What a lovely woman you are, whitby!

Lawmax and I used to fight over this:
17.gif

I think you should have it. You can put it under your name when you sign your posts if you'd like. At least for today ;-).

AGBF
34.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2009 11:50:11 PM
Author: AGBF

Date:
3/29/2009 11:15:58 PM

Author: whitby_2773

i'' m currently looking at three different handbags with a view to buying all three; one fendi, one chloe and one valentino. total price about 4k....

and *then* i''ll think...

''3 nights on grand cayman island or....build 40 wells in africa and give 40 villages fresh water....hmmmmm....''

and that''ll be the end of the bags AND the island holiday. :)

i''m a bag addict, but my conscience gives me *some* degree of perspective.

What a lovely woman you are, whitby!

Lawmax and I used to fight over this:
17.gif

I think you should have it. You can put it under your name when you sign your posts if you''d like. At least for today ;-).

AGBF

34.gif

awww - thank you AGBF! as my signature says - i''m 3/4 of the way to ideal....in so many areas!

unfortunately, so much of my would-be idealness is kinda colored by the other 25%!

17.gif
38.gif
27.gif
31.gif
7.gif
29.gif
17.gif

Lynny0780

Rough_Rock
i have a 6 LV''s , 2 chanels, 1 versace, and 1 jimmy choo, and all with matching wallets.. My most expensive one is the LV Suhali Talenteux, i have a matching bracelet too wich i looove! and my versace one wich were both about $3,000. and i have to say that i havent used a purse in the past year so they are just sitting there in the closet!! i get lazy and never want to cary one, so i havent bought anymore... my favorite things now are the bracelets, my top 2 are my Hermes collier de chien bracelet (1000) and my suhali bracelet (500).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a small collection of coach bags and other more unmarked designers, but I''m not actively in the market for any new bags. Actually I take that back. I was carrying around a cheapo bag and the zipper broke this morning. I might use that as an excuse for a new one, but I don''t know what I want yet...I usually try to keep my handbag purchases to under $300, and I make use of the Outlets/Marshall''s/Filene''s Basement a lot.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/29/2009 2:13:30 AM
Author: simplysplendid
I love chanel handbags, will run between $2-3K each. I went crazy last year and bought 8 or 9. This year, I will try to be good and will purchase only one each season
9.gif
. I also like other brands which are slightly cheaper such as miu miu or rebecca minkoff, I think several hundred dollars for a bag is not too unreasonable.
Goodness, SS! I''d love to see your collection!
30.gif

I love Chanel too, but only own one bag and one pair of sunglasses. They''re fab, aren''t they?

My best friend loves Miu Miu and Prada, not jut handbags but also clothes, shoes, you know, the works.

Ok, thread-jack over!
3.gif
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results