• 8+

Votes: 5 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am I the only surprised by the results?

I would have never guessed a solid two thirds of us would drink less than 1 drink a day.
I'm also surprised there are zero at 6 and 7 when there are four at 8+.
People sure vary but how they vary surprises me.

Maybe 82 is just too small of a sample.

Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 2.18.40 PM.png

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Now, I'm not saying that this is what's going on here, but one thing I know from working in clinics and substance misuse services in the past is that people really do underestimate both the quantity of alcohol they drink and the frequency with which they drink it.

All those just one glasses of wine can have considerably more than one unit of alcohol in them, depending on the size of the glass and the strength of the wine. My one glass tonight contained almost three units of alcohol. It wasn't obviously enormous looking, either.

When people keep journals of what they drink, measuring units accurately and being scrupulously honest about recording, they are often shocked at how many units of alcohol they drink in a week, particularly people who think they are virtually non drinkers (not all, obviously).

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Zero surprises me; less than one doesn't.

If I drink three nights a week, having two glasses of wine each time, that's less than one drink per day. Or 1 glass of wine, five nights a week. Or six drinks on Friday night.

Statistically, this question doesn't really tell us that much.

The (slightly) more interesting questions to me would be: (1) how many days of the week do you have an alcoholic beverage, crossed with (2) how many beverages do you have in any one occasion of drinking?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1304804985|2915060 said:
Now, I'm not saying that this is what's going on here, but one thing I know from working in clinics and substance misuse services in the past is that people really do underestimate both the quantity of alcohol they drink and the frequency with which they drink it.

All those just one glasses of wine can have considerably more than one unit of alcohol in them, depending on the size of the glass and the strength of the wine. My one glass tonight contained almost three units of alcohol. It wasn't obviously enormous looking, either.

When people keep journals of what they drink, measuring units accurately and being scrupulously honest about recording, they are often shocked at how many units of alcohol they drink in a week, particularly people who think they are virtually non drinkers (not all, obviously).
Ahhh, the results are totally suspicious. We need to add in a place for people to state they have no idea bc they usually pass out before able to count up all the wine glasses!

Lol

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kama_s|1304801839|2915038 said:
I probably drink between 0-2 drinks a week, so 1 on average. Depends on whether I decide to open a bottle of wine, and I generally don't have more than a glass a night.

Once every 2-3 months, I may have 2-3 drinks on a night socially and once every 4-6 months I drink 3-4 drinks on a night (i.e., relatively drunk!).

I just realized I answered the question incorrectly. I thought the Q asked for how many do you drink per WEEK, so I responded with '1'. Per day would be 'less than 1'.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine on special occasions, but we do not routinely keep it in the house. I have had relatives with drinking problems, and that influences my feelings on frequent drinking.

I hope the people who marked 8+ were thinking per week, because if one averages 8 drinks per day, I'd safely say they have a big problem!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
kama_s|1304801839|2915038 said:
I probably drink between 0-2 drinks a week, so 1 on average. Depends on whether I decide to open a bottle of wine, and I generally don't have more than a glass a night.

Once every 2-3 months, I may have 2-3 drinks on a night socially and once every 4-6 months I drink 3-4 drinks on a night (i.e., relatively drunk!).

This is me exactly!

ETA I actually did pick less than 1 a day for the poll, but this is exactly right as far as how much I drink and how often I do it.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'm sure that's true for a lot of people, but the results really don't seem that off to me, at least based on my circle of friends. Most of my friends drink 1-3 times a week, usually on the weekends. It leans more towards the 3 in the summer when we have porch parties at each others' houses. I actually don't know a lot of people (maybe not anyone, come to think of it!) who drink every day.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My parents drink every day, as did their parents (well, on my mother's side anyway). I don't think I've ever seen them eat dinner without a glass of red wine. It's just part of the table setting, like cutlery and condiments. They don't drink a lot of wine, but they do drink it with every dinner. I was raised that way, although I don't follow the same habit. I do like to drink, but actually tend not to do it very often these days. I'm becoming something of a light weight. :bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Didn't read all the posts, but here's my answer; I make chili about once ever 2 weeks, and put in half a can of beer. The other half I get to drink! :appl: Then we'll go out somewhere about 3 times a year, and I'll have a mixed drink. That's about it.

But I have a really good reason; every male member of my family is or was an alcoholic. The passing out in a snowbank kind. The kind that crashes the car into the tree Next to the garage. The kind of alcoholic that sets his bed on fire with a cigarette and burns to death because he's passed out. Epic, major drama alcoholics.

So, yeah. I don't like to drink because alcoholism is in my genes big time. I've warned my kids, but DS doesn't seem to get it. He and his new wife like to drink wine. That's fine, but I still worry. . . :blackeye:

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock

Most people have no idea what is considered a serving of alcohol.

brandy = 1.5 oz
liquor w/ mixer = 1.5 oz
liquor straight = 1.5 oz
beer = 12 oz
malt liquor = 7 oz
wine = 5 oz
wine cooler = 10 oz

binge drinking for women is 4 drinks and for men 5 drinks in one sitting.

ETA: heavy drinking is defined as drinking 5 or more drinks in one setting at least five times a week.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yup. Only thing I would add is that beer and wine may have more or less ABV than listed here - one of the reasons people do underestimate is that wine and beer are not standard strength. A glass of wine can contain between one and three units of alcohol and a half pint of beer can have as much as two units in it. So, two glasses of red wine at 15% or 2 pints of 'superlager' could qualify as a binge.

I notice that some of the (delicious) Californian red wines available where I live have between 14.5% and 15% alcohol by volume. They're good, but that's a lot of alcohol in a glass.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I take a few sips of champagne on New Year's and maybe one or two other days a year I take the same few sips of some drink or other and put it down.

Since you defined it as at least 1 drink and I don't drink 1 drink in a year, I voted 0.

I lost my tolerance for drinking sometime in my mid to late 20's. I can't finish a drink. I never even try because a) it's so unpleasant to me and b) I know I wouldn't be able to.

I used to drink in my early 20's and enjoyed it. I don't know why I don't like drinking anymore but I don't. I wish I could drink sometimes because I think it would be a fun and convenient way to relieve stress. I do feel badly for the people who suffer from alcoholism though as I've watched someone who was dying of that and it was almost unbelievably horrible.

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
I have a scotch and coke 3 or 4 nights a week. I don't usually have more than 1 a night because I had my gall bladder removed and my liver can't handle too much alcohol. It's probably a good thing. :cheeky:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
It's on my to do list to try to start drinking. :tongue:

I used to like drinking and my favorite mixed drink was gin and tonic.

I'm interested in high quality alcohol (cause I hear it might be smoother :cheeky: ) and I've read that Hendricks is good gin.

It's expensive so it's not pocket change. :o

I think I'd have a better chance if I tried it. I'd just like to be able to enjoy a drink. I really would be lucky if I could finish one.

I like champagne ok. I can drink literally three sips. But I like the glasses you put it in. I particularly like the old kind (the stem kind).

I've never been a wine drinker.

I can't drink beer anymore, unfortunately.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I voted 1 a day, during the week I usually have half a glass to a glass of wine 2-4 times a week with DH depending on our schedules, then on weekends usually 2 maybe 3 drinks.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I'm probably considered a wino.

I have a drink pretty much every day - usually a glass or two of wine with dinner. On the weekends it's usually a little more. Sometimes I'll have a beer instead (though I've been drinking less beer lately because it makes me feel full and bloated) or a margarita (fresh lime, tequila, triple sec, and maybe some pomegranate juice). I don't like any hard alcohol other than tequila, for some reason.

I only rarely eat desserts or sweets, so I guess I make up for it in booze. :lickout:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1304839496|2915323 said:
My parents drink every day, as did their parents (well, on my mother's side anyway). I don't think I've ever seen them eat dinner without a glass of red wine. It's just part of the table setting, like cutlery and condiments. They don't drink a lot of wine, but they do drink it with every dinner. I was raised that way, although I don't follow the same habit. I do like to drink, but actually tend not to do it very often these days. I'm becoming something of a light weight. :bigsmile:

I think a lot of it definitely has to do with how you were raised. My parents aren't teetotalers and aren't anti-alcohol at all, but they just aren't big drinkers. My dad has a glass of wine a few nights a week and my mom has a margarita or two maybe twice a year. Now that we're all grown up we'll sometimes have wine at our big family dinners for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Honestly, whenever I hear about people who have a few drinks a day, it seems like a ton to me! I actually just had a conversation about this with my sister because one of her friends will have a couple of beers after work most days, and it seems like too much booze to both of us.

I'm definitely a major lightweight...when I do drink I get a buzz off of one glass of wine, so I rarely have more than one or two at a time. If I have 3-4 drinks, even if I spread them out over several hours, I'm pretty solidly drunk.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1304941508|2916095 said:

Come over here-we'll train you well! :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1304709849|2914195 said:
Jennifer W|1304704813|2914100 said:
I'm Scottish, so I may skew your poll. ;)) I like to drink. Wine mostly, but I also enjoy a gin and tonic, whisky, bourbon, port, brandy, pimms, cocktails, champagne, beer, ale, mead, cider, vodka, spiced rum, liqueurs and calvados.

I don't really care for sherry, but obviously it's better than nothing.

Yeah, some of us have socialital expectations we must live up to. Microbrews are a huge hit in the Northwest so it's mandatory to enjoy the fruits of local culture. lol

I'm super picky about which types of beer I will drink, but do keep in check because my favorites are so expensive. Also, I have kids, so having one after they go to bed is fine but, I try to avoid drinking more than one except on the weekends or if we're with friends OR during the holidays.

I am SUPER picky about what I'll drink. One of my neighbors has a nasty coors light habit. Constantly filling the recyling with cans. It just grosses me out. I should stick a six pack of Redhook in front of his door. ;-)

Oh, and I don't drink liquor or wine. Just beer!

Have you been over to Mac N Jacks in Redmond? They're in the little warehouse/business area right next to Marymore Park and Whole Foods. I'm not a fan of all of their stuff, but some is quite good.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen|1304964780|2916443 said:

I have a drink pretty much every day - usually a glass or two of wine with dinner. On the weekends it's usually a little more. Sometimes I'll have a beer instead (though I've been drinking less beer lately because it makes me feel full and bloated) or a margarita (fresh lime, tequila, triple sec, and maybe some pomegranate juice). I don't like any hard alcohol other than tequila, for some reason.

I only rarely eat desserts or sweets, so I guess I make up for it in booze. :lickout:

Elrohwen, have you considered that Glasgow might be your spiritual home? :bigsmile: Now, if we could just get you onto hard liquor...

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1304972965|2916571 said:

Elrohwen, have you considered that Glasgow might be your spiritual home? :bigsmile: Now, if we could just get you onto hard liquor...

I'll be right there! I always knew I was meant to be a Brit and being a Glaswegian sounds perfect! I've already got the red hair (I hear Scotland has the highest percentage of red heads?) so I'd look right at home.

I used to drink any hard liquor in college, but now I make this face :knockout: every time I try even the fruitiest drinks - I'm weak. Unless it has tequila, then I make it nice and strong :lickout:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love wine/champagne. Full stop. But I don't like the after effects as much so I limit consumption to weekends, then all hell breaks loose. Just kidding ;)) --that said, between my husband and I we consume 2 bottles of red wine per weekend. I do drink a lot of water, coffee, juice, etc, as well in case anyone is interested.... :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen|1304973637|2916601 said:

I'll be right there! I always knew I was meant to be a Brit and being a Glaswegian sounds perfect! I've already got the red hair (I hear Scotland has the highest percentage of red heads?) so I'd look right at home.

I used to drink any hard liquor in college, but now I make this face :knockout: every time I try even the fruitiest drinks - I'm weak. Unless it has tequila, then I make it nice and strong :lickout:

Hmmm. Well, the red hair is a good start. Are you peely wally too? ;)) Ok, so we can work on the hard stuff - best you never order a fruity drink in Glasgow. :bigsmile: Question is, do you like Buckfast?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
bee*|1304969844|2916509 said:
Imdanny|1304941508|2916095 said:

Come over here-we'll train you well! :bigsmile:

/Hahaha! :bigsmile:

Seriously, you don't even know how much I admire your country! Thanks!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1304974463|2916616 said:

Hmmm. Well, the red hair is a good start. Are you peely wally too? ;)) Ok, so we can work on the hard stuff - best you never order a fruity drink in Glasgow. :bigsmile: Question is, do you like Buckfast?

What is Buckfast? All I could find online was "tonic wine" - sounds good to me!

Viola

Shiny_Rock
I voted "less than one", I drink wine 75% of the times I drink.

I don't drink on a daily basis, only on weekends or if it's a birthday party or some other social event, small or big.

I probably average on 5-6 glasses per month.

I drink 2-3 glasses per drinking occasion. So some months I attend 2-3 social events per month and have 2-3 glasses of wine per event, and some months I attend one social event and I have 1-3 glasses of wine. I usually attend more social events in the spring and summer or when I travel and I can end up having a drink every night for 3 weeks. But I can also go an entire month or two without having a sip in the winter though.

So my drinking habits entirely depend on my social calendar, I don't however drink alone, or at home with dinner on weekdays.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to have wine with dinner, until GERD screwed that up :(( So red wine is now off my list. However, my doc said I can have as much hard liquor as I want!

Seriously though since red wine is way off my list and I'm not much of a beer drinker I don't drink too often, and white wine is more of a treat for me these days. I drink in spurts which may be once a week, or not. It just depends on what I feel like. My max may be about 4-5 drinks in a normal sized glass... more than that, I'm ishtfaced :shock: .

I tend to like vodka based drinks as I don't get the gross feeling the next day. I do like tequila though, but keep that to mixed drinks.

-A

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Elrohwen|1305042368|2917388 said:
Jennifer W|1304974463|2916616 said:

What is Buckfast? All I could find online was "tonic wine" - sounds good to me!

It is tonic wine. You drink it outdoors somewhere the police can't see you, with the bottle partly-concealed in a brown paper bag. Heck, we've all done it... ;))

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
In light of my current job . . . maybe two Patron Silver Margaritas, instead of one, would be helpful in finding that Zen center for me.

Hmmmmm. . . .

:bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results