shape
carat
color
clarity

How much do settings weigh?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beginswithT

Rough_Rock
I am looking at fairly basic setting (scroll work band with basket pear sides and room for a peg head) that weighs 4.2 ounces? grams? I really don''t know! How much should settings weigh? What is considered a heavy setting and what is considered light?

Addlepated

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think you''d be able to wear a setting that measured in ounces. There are about 28 grams to the ounce; seems to me that I''ve seen settings range from around 4-8 grams or so. A 4.2 ounce setting would be like wearing a quarterpounder on one finger!

As far as what settings weigh, light and heavy, I don''t know but maybe someone will come along who does.
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It's more likely grams and not ounces as Addle said. I have a rather heavy and wide, platinum invisible set ring with 1.75 carats of diamonds that weighs 17 grams. That's a tad over a half an ounce and that ring weighs a ton on the finger. You really know it's there.

It could also be dram weight. Some Vendors use that terminology instead of grams. But at 4.2 drams, tho, the setting would be a narrow, thin band and very light weight.
20.gif

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/15/2005 12:50:37 AM
Author: pqcollectibles
I have a rather heavy and wide, platinum invisible set ring with 1.75 carats of diamonds that weighs 17 grams. That''s a tad over a half an ounce and that ring weighs a ton on the finger. You really know it''s there.

Wow, PQ, that''s a substantial ring at 17 g! Got a pic?

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
T,
There arer two standard weight measurements that are used in this trade. One is grams and the other is DWT or pennyweight. There are about 28.5 grams to the ounce and 20 DWT to the ounce. It just depends on the catalog that you are looking at, but most use grams since it looks bigger. The largest casting that I''ve ever made was a guy''s ring that I cast a large gold nugget into. The darn thing weighed nearly 20 DWT, (1 ounce), and was very much like carrying a hammer around on your finger. Most ladies rings average somewhere between 3 grams up to maybe 8 grams or so.

gemnut

Shiny_Rock
Most rings are in 3-5 gram settings. I have a MONSTER ring (40K topaz) in an 18.5 gr 18K YG setting. I am enclosing a pic of the setting so you can get an idea of the size.

Gemnut

topaz_side2.GIF

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results