shape
carat
color
clarity

how much difference.......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
How much difference does .15 make in a stone. I just got a 1.15ct stone, and I also looked at a 1ct stone, not side by side, and I am just wondering if there is a big visual diff in that amount of weight. I know alot of things come in to play.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I guess the problem is that I have no info on the 1.15 and that kind of bugs me! I was told it was an ideal cut, although sometimes it looks alittle dead to me, the 1ct is GIA certified so I will call and get the #''s tomorrow, just out of curiosity! I''m sure the size diff isn''t that noticeable.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
on my ins estimate alls it says for the 1.15ct is
Max diameter: 6.11mm; Min Diameter 6.08mm ; depth 4.11mm
Depth % 67.4%
how do these #''s look?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know how to convert those #'s to the ones we work with here Min, i.e - depth 60%, table 56% etc...Maybe someone will know the formula to do this. Is it a done deal with the new diamond? If you could get the diameter measurements of both diamonds, we could do a better comparison of face up size.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Well it is a done deal with the 1.15ct but I think I could do "something"!!! I could buy the 1ct and then sell the 1.15ct privately, I am wearing the 1.15 and enjoying it, it just hatn''t grabbed me like I thought it would and I have this bug in my head (the 1ct) and I just wonder if I should have gone with that........Then I think I should just be happy I have a ring back on my finger

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
and it isn''t really the size that is an issue because both of these stones are double what i had it is more of a performance issue I guess.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
is there anything that makes a stone look oily? It has no flour...

avlis

Shiny_Rock
i am guessing that you arent talking about round cut diamonds.. what kind of cut?

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
yes it is a round brilliant

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You sound just like me!
9.gif
The only thing is it is so hard to sell jewellery yourself privately, maybe wait a few days and see if the 1.15 grows on you - if not then you could see if the vendor might be willing to take it back and you could come to an arrangement if you take the 1 ct....Might be worth a try, he would probably be your best bet.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could be the cut which is making the diamond dull or some muck - give it a good clean firstly.

avlis

Shiny_Rock
a 1 ct round shoud measure about 6.4-6.5mm diameter. your 1.15 will look smaller than a well cut 1 ct. it is about the size of a well cut 0.8-0.9ct diamond. the depth is too deep.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
there is a chance I could "trade"! The 1ct is not at a jewlery store and the 1.15ct is from Pearlmans. i want it to grow on me and it really is beautiful, I don''t know what my problem is! I am also attracted the cert. with the 1ct, I thought of sending the 1.15 to get certified eventually. I am just going to go look at the 1ct tomorrow and compare side by side and get the #''s and plug them in here!

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
wow avlis really.........

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/25/2007 11:58:03 AM
Author: Lorelei
It could be the cut which is making the diamond dull or some muck - give it a good clean firstly.

i agree, did the stone you just got not come with a cert? also, a depth % of 67% is very deep. a ideal cut 1 carat stone should have a diameter of around 6.5mm so a 1.15 should be a bit more although I doubt you could tell a difference b/t a true ideal cut 1 carat and a 1.15...

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
It is spotless! I just had it reset last week and I drop it in the cleaner everyday.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
No mrssalvo, it does not have a cert

avlis

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2007 12:04:17 PM
Author: mingagreen
wow avlis really.........
if your numbers are right.. go to good old gold or whiteflash and do a search for 1-1.15 ct RB''s and look at the diameters and depths...

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
well if it is too deep that would explain some of the lack of performance.............Yeah?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2007 12:05:18 PM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 3/25/2007 11:58:03 AM
Author: Lorelei

i agree, did the stone you just got not come with a cert? also, a depth % of 67% is very deep. a ideal cut 1 carat stone should have a diameter of around 6.5mm so a 1.15 should be a bit more although I doubt you could tell a difference b/t a true ideal cut 1 carat and a 1.15...
Ditto. Maybe it wouldn''t hurt to talk to the vendor if you haven''t had this ring very long, he might be agreeable to you changing it, no harm in asking! It doesn''t sound as if it is making your heart sing...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, also the crown and pavillion angles are crucial, but it really is your own eyes which judge performance more than anything. Bah - I missed your earlier post, that sounds like a plan, compare the two side by side and see where you go from there. Take note of the numbers of the other contender so you are easy in your mind if you do exchange etc.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
mmmmm hmmmm well I think she''s deep! I don''t think returning it is an option, which is fine, I could do something with it, I got an awesome deal so I wouldn''t feel like I last money at all, it might make a great pendant!!!!!!! I am just used to the fire of mega sparkle from my old .52 ct stone, this one is different

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand. All diamonds have different characters so if using it for something else is possible and you can get another tighter cut diamond for your e-ring, then that would work out fine!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
minga, if you loved the stone and paid a good price for what you got I''d say keep it and enjoy it. However, if you don''t love the stone you might at least talk to Pearlmans about a trade. I saw in your other thread where you had it sent to you and loved it at the time b/c you decided to keep it. So, maybe you can still find a way to love it, but if you don''t, I''d at least check and see what your options are, no since trying to live with something you''re not happy with.

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
I guess I am just being too wierd! I do really like this stone, it is beautiful, bigger than I ever thought I would get, and i got a really great deal. I shouldn''t be like this it is just one of those what if situations! I had looked at the 1ct a few times and then found this 1.15ct and you know when you get something that you have been dreaming about for a long time you get caught up in the excitement of it all.....

If the measurements are correct then I would like to find a tighter cut stone, I was under the impression this was an ideal cut stone, and with a depth like it is it can''t be an ideal, but for what I paid I don''t know if I could find anything better, except for this 1ct, I will get the measurements tomorrow.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
minga, there have been countless threads on the use of the word ideal. unfortunately, the PS definition of the tight specs, like an AGS000 or GiA ex/ex are not what many jewelers use as that term. you can do a search here and find a bunch of stones that will show up on vendors site's as ideal athough AGS wouldn't rate them that way and GIA doesn't use the term ideal on their certs. it's a slippery slope...that's what having a cert is so important b/c regardless of the label, you can know what the numbers are.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results