shape
carat
color
clarity

How much can a ring be resized?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been getting conflicting answers from many different jewellers when I ask this question. I have small fingers (2.75), and a lot of jewellers in Australia will flatly refuse to resize more than 3 sizes up or down, and insist the rings have to be custom made from scratch.
Yet when I buy jewellery from vendors in America, they can take size 6 rings down to my size with ease. I know certain settings like channel and tension settings can''t be resized too much or the ring loses its integrity, but what is the extent that other rings can be resized? The ring I am considering is a half-eternity shared-prong band which is currently a size 6. This ring is to be my wedding ring, so I would really like it to stand the test of time!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don''t think you can take it down.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think that much would compromise the ring, just like do not buy a size twelve and think it can be made a two. A ten or eight, maybe, but not a two...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolftress

Check the sizing charts for Australia, I know that in the United Kingdom 3 sizes here are different from 3 sizes in America.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been told by jewelers, generally speaking rings with stones can go up or down 2 sizes. But that really depends on the style of setting work on the stones. And there are some styles, as you mentioned that just cannot be sized much, if at all.

You might be better off to have a ring custom made for you. You''ll be assured of the quality of the structural integrity that way.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way....do I think you can take a 6 down to a 2.75. One store I bought a ring at last year would only go 3 sizes...ie. from 6 down to 4.5.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_size

Just re-read and you are using the actual sizes of 6 to 2.75 so my point is not relevant. I have put up a link to a chart anyway showing international ring sizes.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
it depends entirely on the setting. I''d bet the jeweler is afraid of marrying your ring. No one would want to be the one to knock all the stones out or god forbid break the stone.

it will be much easier to get what you want from a new ring, namely something that is not about to fall apart.

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
Hi Wolftress,

In a shared prong half eternity ring, it''s important that the prongs are lined up properly to securely hold the diamonds in place. I''m not a jeweler, but sounds like to size a 6 down to a 2.75 you''d basically have to remake the ring!

My ring finger is the same size as yours, I found it difficult to get rings that I liked in my size. So my fiance went custom and got Quest to make a full bead set eternity ring with millgrain for me. But instead of getting it in a 2.75, Pete made my w-band a size 3. He said the difference between a 2.75 and a 3 was the width of a line drawn from a ballpoint pen. I don''t mind the wiggle room a 3 gives me.
My eternity ring is a bit more high maintenance than other styles, but well worth it.
9.gif
Pete recommends we sent it back to him every six months to check the prongs.

Manmountain

Rough_Rock
hmmm...

Having built a number of shared prong bands and having sized my share of shared prong bands, I''d suggest that this shouldn''t be a problem for a good jeweler. These a very simple to make bands and shouldn''t cost any more to custom make than to buy out of the showcase if one is averse to sizing it.

Sparkles22

Brilliant_Rock
I would think it would depend on the ring, and in this case since it does have stones, I would wonder. Looking at the ring I think if the diamond area had to be bent around from more of a straight position to be sized. So like on a size 6 the diamonds go straight across, then you see some metal before it wraps aroung the finger, and sizing it you would see diamonds only across the front (so they now have to be more rounded, like the metal was in a 6). I would have them special make it. It may be possible to size down, but I wouldn''t want to risk the stones coming out from the pressure/tension it would cause on them. Also if it''s a half eternity, how/where it is rounded on the 6 is going to be alot different than a 2.75, in fact where the stone pressure is probably will change. And the fact that it''s a half eternity on a 6, probably means it will be more like a 3/4 eternity on a 2.75. I have small fingers too (3.75). So I order it in a 4 and then size it down for example. Usually it''s ordered in whole or 1/2 sizes. See if you can just have them make it in your size 2.75, or if not then see if you can order it in like a 3 and have them size it down.

Hope you can get your dream ring!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results