shape
carat
color
clarity

How much bigger to see difference?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lauraher

Rough_Rock
I have read that in order to see a visual difference in diamonds it has to be 20% bigger. For example if it''s a 1.5ctw, in order to see a size difference it has to 1.8ctw. Assuming they are ideal cuts, is this true?

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I think that is a reasonable guideline to use. I went from a 1.0 carat diamond to a 1.24 carat diamond. You can definately see a difference between them when they are compared up close, but from a distance it is much harder to tell.

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Appearance of size can be affected by a few things. The weight of a stone alone may not necessarily be what causes a stone to look bigger. A well cut, very sparkly stone will face up looking bigger than a poorly cut stone of the same weight. A stone on the "spready" side may look bigger than a decent cut of the same weight (but probably won''t sparkle as much). The shape of the stone can affect the apparent size too (an asscher and a cushion will have a lot of their weight in their pavillions, not in their crowns/tables, making them smaller in diameter mm''s). Also, what you set it in can have a huge impact. A round brilliant, ideally cut stone, set in a well made halo (Leon M., Daniel K., Ritani, etc.) will look gigantic next to the same stone in a solitaire setting.

Hope this helps a little,

Best,
LizzyD

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to PS
35.gif

Also the depth of the diamond can make a difference, if it is too deep this can make it face up smaller and a thick girdle can waste weight too. There are many variables to take into account as well as diameter measurements.

This might be useful to you.

MM to carat size conversion chart.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think small differences in size make a bigger difference in smaller diamonds.
Once you get over a ct or so and they arent side by side I think it takes a bigger difference to make it look any great amount bigger than say going up from a .15ct.
ct is the weight of the diamond not the size to compare you really have to look at the mm sizes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results