shape
carat
color
clarity

how many vitamins do you take?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 2:49:27 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 1/28/2009 7:40:44 PM
Author: Miranda
I take a multi vitamin, calcium and occasionally extra iron. I have my blood tested for anemia every year. Sometimes I''m running low and need a bit of extra iron.

If I can encourage all of you ladies to take ONE supplement it would be calcium. Adding calcium has been a life saver for me. It cures PMS and makes cramps so much more mild.

This is essentially what I take--with the extra iron and extra calcium.

I space them out throughout the day, as some counteract. Taking C with iron helps absorption, but calcium inhibits iron, so I make sure I space those by 2 hours at least.
I do the same thing. I swear, my day consists of what time to take what supplement!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
1 multivitamin
1 fish oil pill

(I swear my hair looks healthier since I''ve started the fish oil pills)

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 2:36:19 PM
Author: MC
Usually I take:

2 grams of pure powder l-glutamine (not the weightlifter stuff, but the stuff without additives)
Probiotics
Milk Thistle

Also, I drink A LOT of herbal teas with various herbal concoctions for health and well-being.

Bia mentioned Life Extention - my MIL swears by that brand and takes numerous of their supplements. She's conducted quite a bit of research and says they're the best.

Pandora - is extra folic acid needed when on Lamictal?
YES - Lamictal is an anti-folate (it's the med that I take) . It's also worth having your vit B12 levels checked occasionally.

Good levels of folic acid can cut your risk for for heart disease, strokes, depression, protect against some cancers, Alzheimer’s and dementia.

Low levels will make you feel exhausted all the time (a bit like anaemia does) - I ended up with extremely low levels after a year on Tegretol and it took the doctors ages (and a load of tests) before they realised it was the Tegretol that had caused it as I'd been off it for 6 months at that point. A lot of doctors don't know about the anti-folate properties, I only found out because I had a problem because of it.

I also discovered about the 5mg for pregnancy/pre-conception through doing a load of research about getting pg on Lamictal. My GP only found out at the same time as me as he was researching for me as well. It's not commonly known and it really annoys me that they don't put it on the prescribing information as it can take a few months to get low levels back to normal - those months can be vital when it comes to NT defects which the baby is most at risk of in the first weeks of development.

Most people will get more than adequate levels from eating a normal diet - especially as bread etc has added folic acid in countries like the USA and the UK. However, if you are taking a med that is an anti-folate you won't be getting enough and so you need the supplement.

When I started TTC I started taking 5mg a day (I got it wrong above) - and I have been advised to take it for the whole pregnancy not just the first 12 weeks.

Otherwise you should be on 1mg a day for as long as you are on Lamictal. The normal RDA is 400 micrograms, so it's quite a hefty jump.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/29/2009 8:28:27 PM
Author: Miranda
I do the same thing. I swear, my day consists of what time to take what supplement!

haha me too!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Fish oil, multivitamin, and 1000 mg vitamin C.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Currently I take a Multi - Vit
&
B-12
&
Biotin (for hair and nails) it actually helped, or my hairdresser thought so.

Before this very simple routine, I was taking supplements in the form of powders that had to mixed with a small amt. of water. Lots of work. And then wait 30 minutes until you could eat. This worked for about 1 month. You know how hard it is to get up in the morning and wait 30 minutes for coffee, LOL !!

I see a doctor that specializes in Bio-Identical Hormone replacement Therapy. She wants me on sooo much, but honestly, it is too much for me to get my head around.
According to her (and the blood tests) I need Niacin, Calcium, B-Vit''s, Omega 3 and 6, and some more I am forgetting. It''s just too much, so for now, one Multi is enough.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 8:09:04 AM
Author: Pandora II

YES - Lamictal is an anti-folate (it''s the med that I take) . It''s also worth having your vit B12 levels checked occasionally.

Good levels of folic acid can cut your risk for for heart disease, strokes, depression, protect against some cancers, Alzheimer’s and dementia.
Thanks for the info, Pandora!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Late 20s, no known health issues, vegeterian. No vitamins. I''ve been mildy anemic before but it''s been years and I''m no longer checked for it.

I''m too lazy. I don''t use lotions and potions unless it suddenly occurs to me. I have more go bad before I can use them.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 5:31:02 PM
Author: Steel
Sorry I can't advise you. But you made my mind boggle! I take ZERO vitamins.

(Runs off to the chemist to buy lotions and potions)
Same goes here! NO vitamins..supplements..I figure if I eat a balanced meal, enough fruits/veggies every day..I'm fine! I drink ZERO milk, hate yogurt (pass me the ice cream). I asked my doc if I should be taking calcium tablets..she said no..so..I try to keep it as natural as possible. Besides..I tried taking vitamins and they made me feel real pukey!! Guess my body doesn't want them? lol. I did take the prenatal vitamins when I was pregnant..many moons ago!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I take a double dose of MaxGXL [glutathione accelerator], MaxWLX [balances leptin - very important hormone], Max N-Fuze and Life-Pak Nano [both antiaging nano-nutrients]. I also usually take a sublingual B-6, B-12, folate, biotin and a blend of dimethylglycene, lysene, coq10, cysteine, and some other stuff.

I have always come from the perspective that if there is a likelihood that something will benefit you then you should take/use it. If later it is found ineffective then I will have spent some money for naught. Oh well . . . But, OTOH, if I am correct in my assessment, then I will be ahead of the game.

In fact, this has been my philosophy with skin care. Ever since I was 16 [almost 40 years ago] I always sprung for the latest and greatest independent of the cost. Everybody told me I was wasting my money. I told them: "well, what if it does work?". All they could say was that I was wasting my money because the stuff might not work.

Well . . . guess what . . . the jury is in. I am 55 and I look waaaaay younger that my two sisters who are much younger than me and look younger than most people my age or even younger.

I urge you not to discount technologies that can help not only your looks but also your health as you get older. But don't go buy the commercial %^$# that is out there. Make sure you buy products that have the clinical results to back up the claims.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve been taking a multi-vitamin for years and started Vitamin D supplements in the last 6 months. I''ve really noticed a difference with the D. I live in a northern climate that doesn''t get much sun in the winter (or most of the rest of the year), and the Vitamin D has really helped me feel more resilient and, yes, happy this winter despite some serious family health issues. I don''t know if it''s just a placebo effect, but whatever it is, I''m quite grateful. I do know that medical folks are starting to focus more on the impact of Vitamin D deficiencies, which can be common in people who live in northern climates or spend most of their time working inside.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results