shape
carat
color
clarity

how many vitamins do you take?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
i ask because i take a womens one a day, extra calcium because my gyno says i need extra since i am on a certain birth control, 2 fish oil and now someone told me that i also need B12 and folic acid. this seems excessive to me. i am taking 4 already. are folic acid and B12 that great? should i add them to my list? are there any others that i need?

im 27 and pretty healthy.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know about B12 but it wouldn''t hurt to take folic acid. Do you regularly drink milk?

Bia

Ideal_Rock
I take a lot, but only because my FI sets them out for me...otherwise I wouldn''t
11.gif

I take Multis, fish oils, spirulina tablets, milk thistle (couple times a week)...I think that''s it. But the multis (Life Extension, they are called) are really good from what I understand...pack pretty much everything I need.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Sorry I can''t advise you. But you made my mind boggle! I take ZERO vitamins.

(Runs off to the chemist to buy lotions and potions)

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 5:31:02 PM
Author: Steel
Ditto.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same here. No vitamins for me!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I do a multivitamin, vitamin C, Omega 3 (Fish Oil), Calcium and Vitamin D.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 5:31:02 PM
Author: Steel

(Runs off to the chemist to buy lotions and potions)

I''m the same. I don''t think vitamins are that big over here.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
I take a multi and liquid fish oil. My multi has folic acid and B12 in it.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I take one - a big fat prenatal vitamin.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I'm not a big believer in vitamins. I eat healthy though. I did take the prenatal vitamins when I was supposed to. Nowadays at my advanced age (cough), I am on so many daily prescribed pills I can't image taking non-prescription ones. I can never stick with it. I do get lots of bloodwork done every year though, so I guess if anything was amiss, I'd know.

My DH is the opposite. He's on a ton of supplements right now. Just tons of them!!! He went to a dietician and sports doctor, and this is the result.
40.gif

I think you're good with the women's daily alone. But that's just IMO. Gah! I meant to add as long as you are getting the other things in the foods you eat, which is fairly easy to do.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Folic acid - 1mg a day (that's because I'm pg and on anti-epileptics).

In the UK they don't even recommend pre-natals once you are pregnant as they can make morning sickness so much worse. Instead they check bloodwork to make sure that you're not lacking in iron or some other vitamin.

As long as you eat a balanced diet - and don't have any medical conditions that cause absorbtion problems - you shouldn't need extra vitamins.

In someways, it is better not to take them - being lacking in certain vitamins can be an indicator of some medical conditions. If you are taking them as a supplement it can mask these indicators.

lili

Ideal_Rock
I''m taking one generic brand prenatal and a calcium pill daily.
Prior to preggo and BFing, I just took one women''s one-a-day.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I take a multi vitamin, calcium and occasionally extra iron. I have my blood tested for anemia every year. Sometimes I''m running low and need a bit of extra iron.

If I can encourage all of you ladies to take ONE supplement it would be calcium. Adding calcium has been a life saver for me. It cures PMS and makes cramps so much more mild.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think folic acid and B12 should already be in your multi-vitamin.

I don't take anything. My mom takes a calcium, though she isn't a milk drinker.

April20

Ideal_Rock
I don''t take any! I remember taking some as a teenager and one morning of taking them without eating finished that. I''m over 30 now so maybe I should re-think my stance.

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Prenatal vitamin here, too. My OB recommended I take a prenatal even before we were even thinking about having kids. He said they have everything you need so I just buy a generic at target.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 6:09:39 PM
Author: *Lindsey*
I take a multi and liquid fish oil. My multi has folic acid and B12 in it.

Ditto Lindsey.
I also take liquid calcium magnesium (citrate) which is really easy to absorb.

so that is:

-Pre-natal multi (includes folic acid, B12 and iron etc)
-Omega 3 fish oil
-Liquid Calcium/Magnesium

the only other thing I would consider taking in the winter is Vit D because we get so little sun here in Canada

40.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I think vitamins depend on your individual needs. Currently I take one a day (which I have to get another bottle of as I think aloud online), Vitamin 1, Cranberry pills, Ginger, and Vitamin C. I''m going to add b12 and D for bones, as I don''t really get much for bone density as it is.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
When I''m in the mood I''ll buy the women''s one a day with calcium, but once I run out it''s generally months before I bother to buy another bottle. The only reason I bother at all is that my mom was told that she is high risk for bone density problems (at the age of 55, which is young I guess), so she bugs me constantly about taking calcium (even though I drink a lot of milk). My iron is also low (it''s almost never high enough to allow me to donate blood) so that makes me want to take a vitamin (even though I don''t really know what the side effects of low iron are). Other than being pregnant or having specific health issues/medications, I don''t really see the point in vitamins as long as you''re eating a generally healthy diet.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
So much of our diet is fortified with vitamins...cereal, breads, milk, cookies, prepared foods...in addition to the naturally occurring vitamins. If you are eating daily, and not subsisting on cheese doodles and soda, you are likely getting enough of these vitamins.

B-12 and Folic acid are very likely in your multi-vitamin as well. Unless you are a strict vegan, it is highly unlikely that you are deficient in these nutrients.

the RDA is 2 to 3 µg (micrograms) per day.

My multivitamin has 8! That''s 133%

One half chicken breast, provides some .3 µg per serving or 6.0% of your daily value, (DV) 3 ounces of beef, 2.4 µg, or 40% of your DV, one slice of liver 47.9 µg or 780% of your DV, and 3 ounces of Molluscs 84.1 µg, or 1,400 % of your DV, while one egg provides .6 µg or 10% of your DV.

Bottom line: Chances are, you don''t need the extra supplement.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually I take:

2 grams of pure powder l-glutamine (not the weightlifter stuff, but the stuff without additives)
Probiotics
Milk Thistle

Also, I drink A LOT of herbal teas with various herbal concoctions for health and well-being.

Bia mentioned Life Extention - my MIL swears by that brand and takes numerous of their supplements. She''s conducted quite a bit of research and says they''re the best.

Pandora - is extra folic acid needed when on Lamictal?

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2009 7:40:44 PM
Author: Miranda
I take a multi vitamin, calcium and occasionally extra iron. I have my blood tested for anemia every year. Sometimes I''m running low and need a bit of extra iron.

If I can encourage all of you ladies to take ONE supplement it would be calcium. Adding calcium has been a life saver for me. It cures PMS and makes cramps so much more mild.

This is essentially what I take--with the extra iron and extra calcium.

I space them out throughout the day, as some counteract. Taking C with iron helps absorption, but calcium inhibits iron, so I make sure I space those by 2 hours at least.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t take any vitamins. I used to take a daily women''s multivitamin, but after I ran out I didn''t re-purchase and got out of the habit. I''m in good health overall, not planning on getting pregnant anytime soon, and I eat a ton of fresh veggies and fruits as part of a very balanced diet. I feel like I''m doing ok as far as getting my RDA without supplementing at this point. Interesting to see what others are taking, though...

teapot

Shiny_Rock
I don''t take any unless DH sets them out for me. I would be careful of the folic acid since I hear many women have trouble ingesting it, talk to your doctor about that.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I take a single multi-vitamin per day, at the recommendation of my Dr.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don''t take any. I took folic acid when we were TTC-ing. Took prenatal while pregnant and for a little while postpartum. I stopped taking the prenatal for a month or so now.

IMO, you really don''t need to take all these vitamins if you are healthy and have a well balance diet.

DivaDiamond007

Brilliant_Rock
I take the Meijer brand prenatal vitamin (with the purple label) every day. When we were TTC I took the prenatal and a folic acid supplement.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
My dr recommends a daily multivitamin and so I take the Centrum chewable one. I can''t swallow the big ole horsey ones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results