shape
carat
color
clarity

How many unfinished projects or unset stones do you have?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many to count, I started collecting back in 1988. I have loads of boxes of lose gems in every shape and color

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
EVERYBODY is struggling now, @MMtwo. Every single person. My husband currently has a blocked, runny nose. It looks for all the world like a cold. But to err on the side of caution - we're now living on different levels of our house. I haven't seen him in 2 days.

DO NOT feel badly for feeling badly! This situation is extraordinary and sucks the big one.

Hugs to you, my friend!

What a kind reply, mrs-b. I am so sorry to hear you are apart right now. The year YOU have had is just so rough. Thank you for your friendship, it really means the world to me. A bright spot in a dark place. (hugs)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also let me just say something; I have no excuse to NOT set something. I have 7 settings. Yes, 7. I have enough stones to fit those but....:roll:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also let me just say something; I have no excuse to NOT set something. I have 7 settings. Yes, 7. I have enough stones to fit those but....:roll:

Lack of interest, @Arcadian? The Covid blahs?

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
*shame* :( I have way too many. I’m like a magpie - can’t resist shiny things.

- a baby pink tourmaline that I want to make into a pendant
- two bluish green sapphires which are too dark and I’m not keen on
- a box of mixed size demantoid melee which I want made into a brooch (frog or lizard!)
- a pair of ruby cabochons which I keep meaning to set into earrings but can’t decide on a design
- a lot of brown and orange spess garnet cabs which I want to set with citrine into earrings and ring (or maybe bracelet... see I just can’t make up my mind on anything!) and some spess melee
- a set of three Mexican fire opals, which are a butter yellow
- a few tiny greenish blue tourmaline asschers
- a bunch of leftover emerald cabs from my bracelet project (at the bench) for matching earrings / ring
- a couple of larger but poorer quality emerald cabs which I want to make into a stick pin brooch with some old fashioned / Art Deco style diamond setting
- a box of 26 unheated multicolour Ceylon sapphires between 3 and 1ct each for my sapphire bracelet project
- two more sapphires in the post from Sri Lanka (a 2ct pink pear and a 3.5ct violet oval) which might join my bracelet box or which might be destined for other things depending on how I feel when I get them.
- a box of bixbite melee which I want to set with another rare stone - but unclear what yet.

I think I have some sort of problem... or I might need to open a jewellery shop.

I can't wait to see a demantoid frog or lizard brooch! How fun and a project we never see.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
way too many. An embarrassing number of loose colored stones that I bought for various projects that never ended up happening or I changed my mind about.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lack of interest, @Arcadian? The Covid blahs?

I wish I could blame covid...lol I've had the settings for literally years. Sometimes I forget they even exist, then I go into the safe for something and they're in front of me.

Part of it is that I wear so little now that I kinda don't feel the itch or need especially when I have so much. I could just sell them but frankly I hated selling stuff. I'd do it if I HAD to, but I don't and, even though I don't wear them as much as I once did I loved all my pieces.

I think I'm waiting to get my groove back, seeing what the next year brings.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could blame covid...lol I've had the settings for literally years. Sometimes I forget they even exist, then I go into the safe for something and they're in front of me.

Part of it is that I wear so little now that I kinda don't feel the itch or need especially when I have so much. I could just sell them but frankly I hated selling stuff. I'd do it if I HAD to, but I don't and, even though I don't wear them as much as I once did I loved all my pieces.

I think I'm waiting to get my groove back, seeing what the next year brings.

I can completely relate to this. Since being unwell, I just don't care much about acquiring sparklies, y'know? And with Covid...well...who's going anywhere anyway? Unlike you, tho, beautiful tho I think they are, I will probably continue to de-stash. Possibly quite a bit. We'll see.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 unfinished projects.

One is a pair of earrings I got from JbEG when they were in business. 18K yellow gold drops split prong with Ashas. I want to replace the Asha stones with gemstones. It has to be (IIRC) 8mm (or was it 9?) round. I would love either Peridots (my birthstone) or perhaps aquamarines (but a more vivid blue than washed out blue) or maybe even opals? IDK yet. That has been a project waiting for a long time lol.

And my second (and last) project is to reset Bubbalah. Not in a rush and I am waiting for the right inspiration or genuine antique (my preference) setting. Not an easy feat.

ETA I cannot find a photo of the earrings but for this one.

jbegearrings.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can completely relate to this. Since being unwell, I just don't care much about acquiring sparklies, y'know? And with Covid...well...who's going anywhere anyway? Unlike you, tho, beautiful tho I think they are, I will probably continue to de-stash. Possibly quite a bit. We'll see.

I hope you start feeling much better very soon @mrs-b! And same as to not being in a rush. With the pandemic still raging I am reluctant to go anywhere and do anything at the moment. One day at a time. We shall get through this and to happier and healthier ( I hope and pray) times. Something to look forward to and wishing blingy joy and good health to you my sweet friend. XOXO.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I hijack for a sec since I just bought a blue zircon for no reason lol.

Is there any material you all use (like foam or soemthing) to play around with colored stones to get an idea on how to set things? (Like how Yssie has a bead board for her pearls)

@mrs-b I sure hope you and your husband feel better soon!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have some spinels, an amethyst, a spessie, a large andalusite, and a chrysoberyl that I honestly don't believe will do anything but languish in my jewelry box. Reselling the smaller stones seems too much like a hassle unless I sell them as a lot. Two large pink spinels are rare size and cut so I don't want to risk them getting chipped by setting them. I might put those up for sale in the spring.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
not many. I only have 4 unset diamonds and two are going into a ring that I'm working on now. So what will be left are just a small marquise and a small OEC. No plans for them but eventually I'll figure out something to do with them. I do have some older pieces that I will probably pull the stones out of and do redesigns, but I'm not in any rush for that either. I try to only buy stones when I actually have a project that I need them for.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a bunch of sleeping beauty turquoise. Nothing has fully inspired me yet...

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have three projects in mind with no timetable:
- a three stone red-pink spinel ring that I will be working with Yvonne with on at some point
- find a nice inexpensive setting for my cobalt lab spinel from Precision Gem
- maybe set my ering diamond in a pendant. It has a dreaded carbon spot (not his fault as I picked it out). Although I haven't worn it for decades, I can't get rid of it for sentimental reasons and figure it would get more wear as a pendant.

I have too many loose stones...mostly melee that I bought "just in case" and a lot of stones I will never set (many were inexpensive starter stones).

In recent years, I try to set stones fairly quickly (even if it's not in an ideal setting) because I've learned that if I don't, it will just keep getting pushed down on the list and sit in a box.

I also have a few preloved settings that are just waiting for me to happen across the right stone for.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results