shape
carat
color
clarity

How many unfinished projects or unset stones do you have?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just done a little de-stash of a few smaller things, so I do feel a little better now, but (and this was a baaaad idea...) while I was at it, I counted how much unset melee, small diamonds, settings with pave or side stone diamonds but missing center stones, or diamonds in temp setting I have. It came to <politecough>over10ctw<politecough>.

I can't be the only person with this sort of lunacy going on - surely?

So - how about you? How many unfinished projects, unset stones, loose bits and pieces do you have lying around?

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Now I have to go count.... and I’ve just started buying and accumulating loose stones:lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TNTC as in Too Numerous To Count!

Most of them are inexpensive learning stones.

DK :))

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have two answers. Answer one is physically with me.

That consists of a pear tsavorite garnet, a pair of sapphires and fancy cut diamonds I intended to make an assymetrical stud earrings set, and a suite of aquamarines that are slated for a pendant and earrings for my mom, plus some diamond melee from a bracelet I scrapped.

With a vendor? Let's not discuss.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a fellow lunatic mrs_b!

I have 2 definite diamond projects for 2021, plus at least 4 definite CS projects.

If I count possible projects, there's potentially 3-4 more (!)

That said, in the next couple of weeks I plan to go through my entire loose stone collection, pull out the stones being set this year, put aside the keeper stones (which will never be set), and then make some hard decisions about the remaining stones. In the last 2 years I downsized my collection appreciably, but I still have quite a few beautiful stones in my catch-and-release category (bought because they appealed to me but duplicative of other stones already set etc) ... 2021 is the year I release them lol.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've just done a little de-stash of a few smaller things, so I do feel a little better now, but (and this was a baaaad idea...) while I was at it, I counted how much unset melee, small diamonds, settings with pave or side stone diamonds but missing center stones, or diamonds in temp setting I have. It came to <politecough>over10ctw<politecough>.

I can't be the only person with this sort of lunacy going on - surely?

So - how about you? How many unfinished projects, unset stones, loose bits and pieces do you have lying around?

I thought Marie Kondo had moved in with you

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just two projects for me right now, so fairly tame :bigsmile:

A pair of garnet studs that I will rehome in diamond halos, and a lab sapphire, whose future home is undecided! A big fat, cluster style halo maybe?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't even start to count the weight and stones but I have at least 7 projects lined up, it will be a few years to get them all done!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Happily none! Save a Tiffany chain for my "new" egg.

cheers--Sharon

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have some loose small citrine intended for a remembrance ring eventually. A couple of loose lab gems. But mostly I have my wedding day/bachelors degree celebration mined diamonds that really need resetting so I can wear them again. Gunna be a loooonnnnnggg while before any of them. But I'll probably do the diamond reset before any of the others because I tend to prefer neutrals I can wear every day and to my husband's events.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
On me or with a vendor/in mail? Eek.

Projectwise I have earrings which I need to decide if I am going to make into dangles or not.

Stones at least 2 that I have ring ideas for.
1 setting which I am searching for a perfect match. Or tear it apart and make 2 (eek)
Some melee and 2 stones in the post coming to me.
A handful of stones I have no idea what I am going to do with but feel like inspiration will eventually. And some "training wheel" stones that I keep for reference. I told myself those are educational. :rolleyes:

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Zero :dance:

I’ve spent the last two years rehoming things I didn’t wear and (largely thanks to your inspiration @mrs-b) perfecting my capsule/daily jewelry wardrobe.

I recently passed up a to-die-for stone because I just don’t have the energy to jump into a big design project right now. Part of me is kicking myself over missing out, but I know there will be other beautiful stones when I’m in the right headspace to take on a big project. It takes discipline!

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Half? I have a 0.5ct Lightbox pendant necklace that I got for 50% off and I'm considering resetting (into a sliding pendant or something else), but I'm also fine with it as is...the current setting I don't love though, since it's gold plated silver and the diamond is fixed in place and flips.

I'm considering other projects, but I definitely don't need anything and nothing has "spoken" to me yet.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
*shame* :( I have way too many. I’m like a magpie - can’t resist shiny things.

- a baby pink tourmaline that I want to make into a pendant
- two bluish green sapphires which are too dark and I’m not keen on
- a box of mixed size demantoid melee which I want made into a brooch (frog or lizard!)
- a pair of ruby cabochons which I keep meaning to set into earrings but can’t decide on a design
- a lot of brown and orange spess garnet cabs which I want to set with citrine into earrings and ring (or maybe bracelet... see I just can’t make up my mind on anything!) and some spess melee
- a set of three Mexican fire opals, which are a butter yellow
- a few tiny greenish blue tourmaline asschers
- a bunch of leftover emerald cabs from my bracelet project (at the bench) for matching earrings / ring
- a couple of larger but poorer quality emerald cabs which I want to make into a stick pin brooch with some old fashioned / Art Deco style diamond setting
- a box of 26 unheated multicolour Ceylon sapphires between 3 and 1ct each for my sapphire bracelet project
- two more sapphires in the post from Sri Lanka (a 2ct pink pear and a 3.5ct violet oval) which might join my bracelet box or which might be destined for other things depending on how I feel when I get them.
- a box of bixbite melee which I want to set with another rare stone - but unclear what yet.

I think I have some sort of problem... or I might need to open a jewellery shop.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewellery philosophy for the future is to limit purchases as much as possible, in fact, I’d also like to rationalise what I have. Who needs 4 or 5 RHRs?? I’ve realised that events and occasions for wearing the “nice” stuff will be limited now, due to age and the pandemic.

Having said that, I seem to have acquired some loose stones (all the fault of PS, I don’t know anyone in real life who does this sort of thing!!). So, my pinky-red spinel, going in a ring, a pair of unheated aquas, probably for dangles to wear with various studs, and a small, intense piece of lapis for a charm or pendant. These should keep me going for a bit.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My jewellery philosophy for the future is to limit purchases as much as possible, in fact, I’d also like to rationalise what I have. Who needs 4 or 5 RHRs?? I’ve realised that events and occasions for wearing the “nice” stuff will be limited now, due to age and the pandemic.

Having said that, I seem to have acquired some loose stones (all the fault of PS, I don’t know anyone in real life who does this sort of thing!!). So, my pinky-red spinel, going in a ring, a pair of unheated aquas, probably for dangles to wear with various studs, and a small, intense piece of lapis for a charm or pendant. These should keep me going for a bit.

@Snowdrop13, the bolded part above is right where I am at, too. I look forward particularly to seeing your Aqua earring charms and whatever you end up doing with the lapis (I adore lapis lazuli!).

I am actually enjoying the process of winnowing down to only what I will wear *and* what brings me joy.

Last year I re-set 2 rings that though beautiful and exactly what I requested, were just too large and cumbersome in design for me to comfortably wear on any regular basis ... This spring I plan to have DK re-cast a ring I had made last year in rose gold but now realize should be in yellow gold.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I have about 8 stones that were purchased for different things. I contemplated making many of them into a rhr projects but I've noticed I don't like to wear rhr's. They sit in my jewelry box now. Like @marymm and @Snowdrop13, I have been assessing my wants .vs my actual enjoyment. It also dawned on me recently that although I like pretty jewelry, not all jewelry likes me.

This may be tied into depression, which I believe may be in play right now. I hate to even write that...who isn't struggling right now?

So, right now, I am not doing much at all :) Not even in a jewelry mood, save recent pearl binges. I'm now saturated in pearls and don't think I will buy more this year :) I am here for my friends and to celebrate your new acquisitions.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a few, but two are lab stones I want to set inexpensively for my daughter in case she loses them.

The biggest one is my emerald from Inken. I need to save my pennies for that one and stop throwing impulsive purchases in front of it. I also have emerald melee I bought from her, so I’ll likely have her make me a band with them.

I also have a bunch of other melee I’m not sure what to do with— was thinking of using them for a brooch, but that is way down the line.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I know someone here I shall not name who has a horde of unset stones and I think it’s her personal shame lol.... (that is a joke as I don’t think she feels shame over it but it took a lot of coaxing for her to show it off to me).

you are definitely not the only one!!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL so I have 3 boxes of unset stones. this is why I'm not really buying too much these days.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I‘m not looking in my box but if I had to guess, I probably have around 10 natural gems, 2 lab gems, 1 little cadillac diamond pair, and a bunch of CS melee. I also have two settings just waiting for the right gems. A CvB solitaire and a VC halo. Not too bad, right? :lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have about 8 stones that were purchased for different things. I contemplated making many of them into a rhr projects but I've noticed I don't like to wear rhr's. They sit in my jewelry box now. Like @marymm and @Snowdrop13, I have been assessing my wants .vs my actual enjoyment. It also dawned on me recently that although I like pretty jewelry, not all jewelry likes me.

This may be tied into depression, which I believe may be in play right now. I hate to even write that...who isn't struggling right now?

So, right now, I am not doing much at all :) Not even in a jewelry mood, save recent pearl binges. I'm now saturated in pearls and don't think I will buy more this year :) I am here for my friends and to celebrate your new acquisitions.

EVERYBODY is struggling now, @MMtwo. Every single person. My husband currently has a blocked, runny nose. It looks for all the world like a cold. But to err on the side of caution - we're now living on different levels of our house. I haven't seen him in 2 days.

DO NOT feel badly for feeling badly! This situation is extraordinary and sucks the big one.

Hugs to you, my friend!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You ladies sure are making me feel better! Bless your little jewelry-loving hearts!

<3

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't have unfinished projects so much as un re-done projects, if that counts. I'm going through my jewelry and selling a few things, plus planning to have some pearl strands re-strung and etc.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In addition to the learner stones I mentioned earlier, I gave a bunch of stones I intended to set at the time to my regular contact of the bench that I use in China when I met up with him while I was in HK back in 2015. I have changed my mind about setting some of them, and they may never be set. :roll2:

I sent him another bunch of stones in Q4 last year, and some of them are being set and should be sent to me before they break up for Chinese New Year. Again, I have changed my mind about a handful of them already. :roll2:

I have more nicer stones that I definitely want to set to send him.

I am not going to buy anymore CS (she says)!!!

DK :lol-2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results