shape
carat
color
clarity

How many prongs for a secure marquise setting??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was looking at settings and saw on that has a marquise set north-south on top of a bezel-type ring. The only things holding the stone are 2 v-points at top and bottom. I liked the setting but didn''t think the 2 v-points adequate, as in a good hit from the side could chip or dislodge the diamond. There should be also be prongs or a partial bezel wrapped up around the sides of a marquise, shouldn''t there?

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here.

v.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmmmm....i wouldn''t think only three would be enough!
40.gif

my marquise has six. two on each side and one at the top and the bottom.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
With some of those halo settings (as the one you posted above) I think some designers go minimalistic on the prongs...not sure why...aesthetic reasons? Certainly not for security. A halo-ish setting I saw in my jeweler''s store had 3 prongs holding a pear stone in, and I liked the look - almost had that done. cflutist brought up the point that a good thwack could send the pear flying. I decided to go with 5 prongs for the pear. I''ve only seen marquise stones with 6 prongs, or 4 prongs and 2 v-tips...either way, 6 total. I wouldn''t put a marquise in a ring with only 2 v-tips holding it in!!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a setting from DCD''s new pave line that I''ve been drooling over. Now I''m wondering about the stones security?

ewmarq.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if those v-tips are larger scale than normal v-tips? They seem to be larger in comparison to the diamond size. Might secure stone better, but I''m not sure ...

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable it also seems like that stone might have something holding it from underneath. But you are right to ask before buying.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The "prongs" on the first setting are very short (only needed to clamp the stone onto the bezel below, not to hold it high up in the air) - so they do not need to be either many or large to hold the stone.

The DCD version has the prongs both short and large - it looks super sturdy, IMO.

Ivy

Shiny_Rock
Hope this is viewable...

Date: 5/18/2005 9:56:26 AM
Author:AdaBeta27
I was looking at settings and saw on that has a marquise set north-south on top of a bezel-type ring. The only things holding the stone are 2 v-points at top and bottom. I liked the setting but didn''t think the 2 v-points adequate, as in a good hit from the side could chip or dislodge the diamond. There should be also be prongs or a partial bezel wrapped up around the sides of a marquise, shouldn''t there?
It looks like there are four prongs in addition to the v-tips. This particular ring is from White Flash.

Hmmm???...it almost looks like the pic you posted.

marquiseWFprong.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results