shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of you have damanged your ring/diamond?

yfzcentral

Rough_Rock
And if you did...How'd it happen? What happened? Did you get it fixed?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I bought an estate 3 stone ring, with a marquis and ceylon sapphires. It was before I new anything about pricescope and I bought the ring without cert and using only my eyes and my heart. About 2 weeks after I brought it home I was looking across the table in the sunlight and noticed a huge scratch from one end to the other. Now, if I bumped or banged the ring, I don't remember doing so, and from what I understood at the time (remember before pricescope) I thought that you could not scratch or crack a diamond. So, I was upset and returned to the jeweler explaining what I found and that I was upset that he didn't point this out to me before I purchased it, and of course he told me that diamonds do in fact scratch, crack, break and that I must have caused the damage myself :rolleyes: . So whether I did or whether I didn't we decided to have the stone repolished. Under magnification I can still see a couple little skips across the table, but repolishing the stone actually ended up being a great idea anyway, because when it was returned to me it seemed to perform much better. So, needless to say I am much more careful with my rings and what I am doing while I'm wearing them. I still don't think that I scratched the stone though! ;))

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I put a crack 1/2 through my .94ct oval diamond with a knock on a metal filing cabinet at work. I'd only had the stone 6 months, and got scared to wear a big diamond after that. I had the stone mounted in a 1/2 bezel pendant and a diamond alternative put into the ring.

pinknblue

Rough_Rock
The first day I got my new ring (new setting), I took off the ring to examine the details, and the ring slipped out of my hands. It landed with a THWAP on the hard tile floor... I freaked out a little because it didn't sound too good. Turns out I chipped one of the melee on the halo (the exposed girdle hit the tile just right). But luckily, the center stone was fine. My awesome jeweler (Adam @ Sareen) took back the ring and fixed it for me no charge within a few days. I was so relieved the center stone was ok... Now I'm super careful now that I know I have butter fingers...

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I can think of was I bent a prong reaching into a file cabinet many years ago, thank goodness it didnt scratch or damage the diamond, but I did have to have the prong repaired...

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
This thread + the thread on dirty jewelry combined make me want to hide under the covers with my ering budget and just stay there till all the bad things go away.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1309405865|2958729 said:
This thread + the thread on dirty jewelry combined make me want to hide under the covers with my ering budget and just stay there till all the bad things go away.
:lol:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I made the mistake of substituting a steel band for my gold wedding band, and it scratch a line into the prongs of my e-ring. It bugged me a lot, so when I sent my ring back to Whiteflash for re-sizing, I asked that they fix it. I think all it took was some polishing to look good as new. I made sure that my new Danielle band wouldn't do anything bad to my e-ring, and Vera at WF assured me it wouldn't. :bigsmile:

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I bent a prong 2 or 3 times on my original e-ring, a .15ct marquis. That sucker had 6 huge prongs, so it wasn't going anywhere, but they would snag on stuff pretty easy.

I've also loosened prongs on my upgrade, but my "diamond alternative" stone is slightly too big for the setting, and it was a used mount to begin with, so I just accept it and get it fixed when it happens. I think 3 of the 4 double prongs have been re-tipped at this point. But I haven't lost the stone yet, and I haven't cracked it like the diamond!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1309405865|2958729 said:

No hiding, Tristan....two things...clean the ring and have insurance. Then you don't have to worry!

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
I found out that I put a chip in a facet of my e-ring diamond. Not sure when it happened but I probably did it at work as I am constantly moving patients and whack my hands on things all the time. I have not gotten anything done to the stone. I reset it in a bezel pendant and wear it everyday on my neck instead of my hand. I now wear my 3 band stack on my wedding finger daily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results