shape
carat
color
clarity

How many of one colour is too many?

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
How many stones of one colour family is too many? Do you mainly stick to greens for pinks for example, or do you try to cover the whole rainbow spectrum in your collection?

I recently purchased a blue lab sapphire on the cornflower/violet side which I love, but I still want a royal blue sapphire and cobalt blue spinel, and an aquamarine and a swiss blue topaz... :lol: How many blues does one really need? How many in one colour family is too many?

My medium blue is "close enough" to royal blue and cobalt blue. I *have* a blue stone. Someone needs to shake me out of this nonsense!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
How many stones of one colour family is too many? Do you mainly stick to greens for pinks for example, or do you try to cover the whole rainbow spectrum in your collection?

I recently purchased a blue lab sapphire on the cornflower/violet side which I love, but I still want a royal blue sapphire and cobalt blue spinel, and an aquamarine and a swiss blue topaz... :lol: How many blues does one really need? How many in one colour family is too many?

My medium blue is "close enough" to royal blue and cobalt blue. I *have* a blue stone. Someone needs to shake me out of this nonsense!

Buy what you love and will enjoy wearing. If that means most of your stones are blue...there’s nothing wrong with that. We love pics...Please post some of your pretty blue stones!

voce

Ideal_Rock
You can think of blue as just one color.

Or you can think of blue as a whole spectrum of colors, not just one.

I certainly buy different shades of green, for instance. No two of my larger than melee size colored stones are exactly alike.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
20201015_221556.jpg

Here is my blue lab sapphire. The colour in the photo is not what I see with my eyes most of the time. It's more muted purpley violet, and sometimes soft cornflower blue. I love it but I still yearn for a royal blue or cobalt blue spinel that is punchy BLUE. But this one is really "close enough" that I ought to stop being silly. I think :roll::lol:

I buy what I’ll wear.

I think a good way of dealing with this question is to first envision your most minimal “ideal” collection (ideal here means a collection that encompasses both your tastes and your budget, minimising this collection means aiming for the fewest pieces needed to achieve this target) and working out how many/what kind of pieces you need of what stones/colours. Then going through your current collection to see how much you’ve achieved of your ideal. For example, if your ideal collection consists of the following ring types: 1 cocktail ring with single centre stone and diamond/mmd/moissy accents in following colours - red, blue, green, orange (total 4 rings), 1 solitaire ring in yellow, 1 toi et moi in pink and purple; it means your ideal collection needs 6 rings. So now you compare your current collection to your ideal and identify the gaps. If you find that you’ve bought 4 blue rings but none of other colours but you still want one of each colour, you should focus on the other colours first before buying more blues. However if you already possess your minimal ideal collection, then you should buy something you want and not feel constrained about not having certain colours if you don’t want them (with obvious wearability and budget caveats).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have multiples of reds, pink-reds, greens, turquoise-blues like aquamarine, electric blue, etc...

So I am not a good one to ask either!

DK :lol-2:

Yelena

Shiny_Rock

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CS is just another type of bling - I can never get enough of it.

Isn't that part of the prerequisite for joining PS, to have a bling obsession of some sort?

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
I am a bad one to ask as I love the combination of blue and white. I think @AllAboardTheBlingTrain is on the right track with figuring out what your most minimal ideal collection is and then filling the gaps in your current collection once you have figured out what your minimalist ‘ideal’ collection is. I am actually doing my best to figure out my ideal minimalist collection myself. It’s taking me a long, long time and is one of the reasons why I am on a bling ban. I just figure that I want to spend my jewellery money in a thoughtful way, rather than in an impulsive way.

I totally hear you on the blues. I want blue sapphires but I think I want an octagonal emerald cut blue sapphire, set in a halo of diamonds, then I want a cushion cut blue sapphire, most likely flanked by two diamonds, then I wouldn’t say no to a nice cabochon as well. After that, there is of course aquamarine and let’s not forget Paraiba type tourmaline. Indicolite tourmaline is pretty sweet too and well, then there are blue spinels to be had. I am a total sucker for different cuts too. It would be lovely to get a blue stone in an Asscher cut too, and perhaps an oval as well. An OEC diamond set in an Art Deco style target ring (but an octagonal one) surrounded by tapered blue sapphire baguettes is also something I wouldn’t say no to if the bling fairy came calling.

Yes I do have a problem. Maybe we should start a support group? Hang on, we’re already at the support group.... it’s called Pricescope :lol-2: I feel your pain, I really do. I can’t wait to see your collection as it grows.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Yelena PS is definitely a support group, as I do not know anyone else IRL who has a bling obsession except PSers.

I vividly remember the time when @mochiko42 and I met in person in HK, she showed me her ER at the time, and recognised it as an OEC right away, much to her delight.

Two friends IRL asked if my oval white Zircon from JD was real, as they thought it is a diamond, and I remarked I would not be working if I had a diamond that big! Bless them!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there is a support group within PS, pls tag me. I was just discussing with another Ps-er what type of blue sapphire we plan to target next... o_O:doh:

Gary has more lab Sapphire roughs!

DK :Up_to_something::lol-2:

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it is a different pantone color, a different shape, a different material, a different size, or even if it IS the EXACT same stone, but in a different setting... that's not redundant in my opinion. :lol:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I buy what I’ll wear.

I think a good way of dealing with this question is to first envision your most minimal “ideal” collection (ideal here means a collection that encompasses both your tastes and your budget, minimising this collection means aiming for the fewest pieces needed to achieve this target) and working out how many/what kind of pieces you need of what stones/colours. Then going through your current collection to see how much you’ve achieved of your ideal. For example, if your ideal collection consists of the following ring types: 1 cocktail ring with single centre stone and diamond/mmd/moissy accents in following colours - red, blue, green, orange (total 4 rings), 1 solitaire ring in yellow, 1 toi et moi in pink and purple; it means your ideal collection needs 6 rings. So now you compare your current collection to your ideal and identify the gaps. If you find that you’ve bought 4 blue rings but none of other colours but you still want one of each colour, you should focus on the other colours first before buying more blues. However if you already possess your minimal ideal collection, then you should buy something you want and not feel constrained about not having certain colours if you don’t want them (with obvious wearability and budget caveats).

This is brilliant advice! I think I may have to put myself on a ban until I work out my minimal ideal collection. I keep getting distracted by so many pretty shiny things on PS :lol:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I’m not a good person to ask...

956FE9A7-AF42-4630-AE5C-F4E8F0A74C02.jpeg

As @voce said, none of them are exactly alike. I’m partial to blues and greens like @Daisys and Diamonds and have a few of each. They are all quite different to me.

Hahahaha OMG I think I have died and gone to blue-heaven!! Amaaaaaaazing. I am definitely a blue and green girl at heart too. But I think I need a baby pink morganite on rose gold ring?! But then I see the royal blue colour from Finewater Gems and Stag and Finch and think I need that too :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
If it is a different pantone color, a different shape, a different material, a different size, or even if it IS the EXACT same stone, but in a different setting... that's not redundant in my opinion. :lol:

Omg exactly! Lol!! :lol-2:

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I have multiples of reds, pink-reds, greens, turquoise-blues like aquamarine, electric blue, etc...

So I am not a good one to ask either!

Haha I am eagerly waiting your new royal blue. Must. See. Photos.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
I am a bad one to ask as I love the combination of blue and white. I think @AllAboardTheBlingTrain is on the right track with figuring out what your most minimal ideal collection is and then filling the gaps in your current collection once you have figured out what your minimalist ‘ideal’ collection is. I am actually doing my best to figure out my ideal minimalist collection myself. It’s taking me a long, long time and is one of the reasons why I am on a bling ban. I just figure that I want to spend my jewellery money in a thoughtful way, rather than in an impulsive way.

I totally hear you on the blues. I want blue sapphires but I think I want an octagonal emerald cut blue sapphire, set in a halo of diamonds, then I want a cushion cut blue sapphire, most likely flanked by two diamonds, then I wouldn’t say no to a nice cabochon as well. After that, there is of course aquamarine and let’s not forget Paraiba type tourmaline. Indicolite tourmaline is pretty sweet too and well, then there are blue spinels to be had. I am a total sucker for different cuts too. It would be lovely to get a blue stone in an Asscher cut too, and perhaps an oval as well. An OEC diamond set in an Art Deco style target ring (but an octagonal one) surrounded by tapered blue sapphire baguettes is also something I wouldn’t say no to if the bling fairy came calling.

Yes I do have a problem. Maybe we should start a support group? Hang on, we’re already at the support group.... it’s called Pricescope :lol-2: I feel your pain, I really do. I can’t wait to see your collection as it grows.

Hahaha those all sound awesome! The wishlist sure is getting loooooooong.
I didn't know I needed a paraiba tourmaline before PS.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
So now you compare your current collection to your ideal and identify the gaps. If you find that you’ve bought 4 blue rings but none of other colours but you still want one of each colour, you should focus on the other colours first before buying more blues. However if you already possess your minimal ideal collection, then you should buy something you want and not feel constrained about not having certain colours if you don’t want them (with obvious wearability and budget caveats).

+1
I was focused on different colors earlier but definitely more relaxed about just getting whatever calls to me now so what @AllAboardTheBlingTrain said makes a lot of sense to me

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My two coppers: If that lab sapphire is really just not the color you wanted, you might be better off to return it or sell it and start over rather than put more money into having it set.

When I end up with multiples of close to the same thing, it's usually because the first (and maybe second and third haha) were not exactly right. Either what I really wanted was out of my budget at the time, the piece didn't look the same in person as online but I settled for it, or I learned more about it and wanted something better.

In the end, I'd wear the favorite and the others just sat in the jewelry box.

But if you truly WANT and will wear a few pieces that are similar to each other, that's different.

Another idea is to go for different types of jewelry. So if you already have a nice ring with a blue stone, next get blue stone earrings, pendant or bracelet.

We will of course expect to see all of it! :)

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Now I think I probably need a (natural or lab) gem of every color. Let's see, yellow, pink, red, green, blue, orange and purple. Did I miss any? :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results