shape
carat
color
clarity

How many loose stones do you have around waiting to be set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
How many loose stones do you have around waiting to be set (which you intend to set)? Either you are waiting to decide what to do with them or to get some money together.

Just wondering.

Me - just one, but there usually are two, about. Pink sapphire that I liked but still haven''t decided what to do with.

Thanks. Just wondering how "bad" I am.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I have a lot of loose stones but I don''t think I''ll set them all. I would really like to set my Dan Stair aqua though.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
can we see your pink sapphire?

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I have a couple white sapphires I want made into martini studs, my loose EC diamond, and a little aqua cushion I might have to find something for. I would buy TONS more if I could though - they are so much fun loose!

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking, IK. I don''t have a camera that does macro, though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tons to be set.
1. Haven't found the right setting
2. Some aren't nice (early learning buys) or too small to set (1 ct thereabouts)
3. Looking for sidestones for others
4. Some just can't be set because they are collector type gemstones.
5. I'm also looking to make a set of of some gemstones before I set them (earring, ring, pendant).

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all.

Oooo, I hear you on this. Even though I've set them, is there anywhere to sell stones you've misbought?

---

I do like Stuller for settings. They have tons of selections and good prices. Yes, they are not Tacori but quite useable.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
20.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Geez Louise Harriet 23 stones??? When are you going to do your Paraibas ????????

I have 4 stones. 3 Padparadschas and 1 Tanzanite. One of these days, I will make a 3 stone ring, with 2 of the Padparadschas. Diamond in the middle with two pads on either side.
18.gif
9.gif
36.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure, Pad Queen.
9.gif

I''ve been so busy and exhausted that I haven''t thought about jewellery. Can you believe it? I also have 7 more stones that are early buys, too inexpensive to warrant setting, or collectors'' items.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, Harriet, what else have you bought. BTW, how are you feeling??

Linda

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
1 round Barry tourmaline
1 supernova oval Barry Topaz
1 barion Dan Amethyst
1 cushion Dan Spinel
2 larger round dark rhodolites*
1 smaller pink rhodolite
1 tiny demantoid*
1 slightly bigger tsavorite*
1 octagon topaz from GemSelect*
1 funky teal indicolite*
1 Dan stone (in transit)

So, 11 with 1 on the way, and HOPEFULLY an ering stone on it's way soon too.

And reasons for not setting anything--not enough $ (that I'm willing to spend at the moment), and I want the ering situated and in motion before I even think about anything else...

ETA: (*) means that stone will likely not be set in the foreseeable future.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would want my engagement ring too Freke, asap.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let''s see...

Nicer stones (most are small, around 1ct, because I like small stones)
A very nice Russian demantoid (I recently set its Afeghani cousin)
A CWMNBN sphene for a pendant
A small Paraiba that must be recut and several very small stones that match it
2 trillion tanzanites for ear studs or sidestones (I just can''t make my mind up!)
Pink spinel

Fun but not particularly valuable (these will be set in silver for fun pieces)
Several emerald cut tourmalines of several colours (and a spess just because)
Peach tourmaline
Pink tourmaline (notice a trend here? It is hard living in tourmaline land!)
A set of yummy rhodocrosites, watermelon pink

A lot of inexpensive stones for setting practice

And now I''ve stopped buying stones for myself (well, ok, I''ve got 2 more planned but they are exceptional) until I lower that backlog.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/3/2008 11:22:48 PM
Author: Linda W
ok, Harriet, what else have you bought. BTW, how are you feeling??

Linda
Nothing else. I''ve used my budget for the year. I shouldn''t bust it, right? I''m better, thanks.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have quite a few, but most were early purchases and not really worthy of setting.

I have a lot of settings standing by, though.
4.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Lauren you are so funny with your settings! I''ve got my star sapphire waiting for a home, but I have to get my e-ring set first.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 10:43:09 AM
Author: geckodani
Lauren you are so funny with your settings! I''ve got my star sapphire waiting for a home, but I have to get my e-ring set first.
I just know I have to "get while the gettin''s good" . . . I have a horrible habit of not taking advantage of good deals when I find them . . . so, I''m taking advantage now.
3.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One, which is a bad beginner buy. I keep it around for laughs. I''m bad about keeping stones loose.......they must be set!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/4/2008 11:35:24 AM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Date: 9/4/2008 10:43:09 AM
Author: geckodani
I just know I have to ''get while the gettin''s good'' . . . I have a horrible habit of not taking advantage of good deals when I find them . . . so, I''m taking advantage now.
3.gif
Fair enough Lauren!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2008 10:06:43 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks all.

Oooo, I hear you on this. Even though I''ve set them, is there anywhere to sell stones you''ve misbought?

---

I do like Stuller for settings. They have tons of selections and good prices. Yes, they are not Tacori but quite useable.
How about giving them a good cleaning and polish and gifting it to some younger family members? That''s what I plan to do when my children grow up.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a tanzanite just setting in my jewelry box. I doubt I''ll ever set it but who knows.

I have two 5mm trillion melani mint garnets I am going to have made in to WG studs. I have a 5 x 7 melani mint oval garnet that I will get mounted in a pendant.

I have some 3 x 4 mm green sapphires that I am debating looking for a cheap bracelet to change out the stones.

I want to find a nice colored stone to have mounted in my original ering.

I always have some project going in my mind.
9.gif

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
"How about giving them a good cleaning and polish and gifting it to some younger family members? That's what I plan to do when my children grow up."

YES. Perfect. Chrono, you always have the answers. Thanks.

Although, some of them annoy me, as they are so
14.gif
and I'd prefer not to know that those are around anymore.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Hrm, I have about 18 or 19. I waffle too much on designs plus budget is a consideration since I generally tend towards to custom route rather than the stock setting route.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a collection so around 200 various stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results