shape
carat
color
clarity

How many diamonds have you bought since PS? 'Fess up!

how many diamonds have you bought since PS?

• a) None: I bought mine before PS. I'm only hanging round here for the lovely company of PS'ers; and

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • b) Only one: one ering is enough! There are more important things to spend my/ our money on!

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • c) 2: I need at least one alternate to my ering

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • d) 3 to 5: I need earrings/ pendants and other stones to adorn myself with.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • e) 5-10: I need at least several rings and several other pieces of jewellery. I love 'em all, moder

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • f) 10+: Good GOD! Don't you know PS is the best thing since sliced bread?!:-))

Votes: 10 11.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1316100896|3018210 said:
yennyfire|1316100244|3018205 said:
I also bought an eternity band with .20 pt stones (14 of them)
:lol:

ETA: Ah, the 0.20ct cut-off point again! Seems like a common theme here. Maybe I should email Admin and see if I can change that criterion to "GREATER than 0.20ct". Anyway, there's already an option for re-voting. So perhaps if that criterion is changed, if you could pls vote then or re-vote if you've already voted. Pls all those who have voted using this criterion stated above ("equal to or greater than 0.20ct"), including Circe and lbbaber, pls re-vote then, assuming it can be altered.

Silly Phoenix! :roll:

ETA: Okie, already sent a request to Admin. So, let's just wait and see if the criterion can be changed. I guess it'd be a lot more meaningful to count an eternity band or huggies of 0.20'cts as one item rather than 10 or 14 of them! Again :roll: !! lol!!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dragonfly411|1316101341|3018212 said:
I put 2. I haven't gotten my engagement yet though. I got a small .32 emerald cut that called to me for about a year. It's currently in a white gold setting but I'm toying with the idea of resetting it. The other is a small un-certed round brilliant set in a pendant that I got for a sickeningly low price. It's very white, eye clean and has mad fire.

Would have been more but I lost my toe ring. Go ahead, throw food at me now.

Poor thing! I'm sorry to hear that. No food-throwing on PS though! :))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I voted d. :bigsmile: for a total carat weight of 3!!!

my center stone is 1.5 carats via Whiteflash
2 side stones from Sol Bros
my earrings are 1.5 carats via Brian Gavin Diamonds

eta: I did buy something else but it wasn't via a PS vendor so I didn't count that in the carat total. If I would it would be 4.10 carats added to the 3.

I already had a diamond pendant prior to PS, and some other goodies.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy123|1316102020|3018216 said:
I voted d. :bigsmile: for a total carat weight of 3!!!

my center stone is 1.5 carats via Whiteflash
2 side stones from Sol Bros
my earrings are 1.5 carats via Brian Gavin Diamonds

eta: I did buy something else but it wasn't via a PS vendor so I didn't count that in the carat total. If I would it would be 4.10 carats added to the 3.

I already had a diamond pendant prior to PS, and some other goodies.

Oh no, pls count that too. The poll is *not* restricted only to PS vendors.

Also, the number relates to the number of diamonds (ie. pieces or stones), not carat weight. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

And btw, where is this delish sounding bling? Do you have a thread on it? :naughty: :))

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
PS had a different effect for us, we haven't bought more diamonds as a result of joining but it certainly upped our budget for my E-ring.
I wasn't given a budget per se but at the begining of the year I found a ring that was $3,500 on etsy and I was more than happy with it, but when I showed my SO he thought it was hideous and suggested we look together and we consequently found PS.
That resulted in a large increase in budget to around $23,000....
That said, I also discovered GOG via PS and I am saving for an AVC as a RHR and my plan is to upgrade it as a long term project. I also want one of Rhino's 5 stone AVC bands for my wedding band.
I'd say PS has had a significant impact on our diamond buying budget overall but in return I am thankful for all the education PS has given us so at least our purchases are educated ones!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought maybe 30 and returned about 10.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this would be a lot easier if we do ctw.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1316109134|3018289 said:

Good point.
Many settings have zillions of melee.

I've bought 9.07 ct, but size ain't everything because some diamonds are more $$$ for the weight.
The most expensive one was a tiny 0.10 ct Fancy Red. :kiss: :shock:

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
oMG, this sleep deprived momma did carat weight DOH :-o sorry phx
no your goodies are more exciting :naughty: I love your collection. :love: :love: :love: I have pics out there

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Only 3.

The rest were given to me so don't count.

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Phoenix|1316074984|3018052 said:
:))
- three pairs of super-ideal diamond studs with Brian (have since returned 2 pairs for upgrading)
- a 3.50ct pear-shaped diamond
- a 3-stone ring (middle stone is a "blue" and the sides are from JA)
- pear drops which have since been returned to JA for upgrading
- super-ideal RB pendant also from BGD
- an Octavia wt GOG which I am upgrading towards a bigger one

You have such gorgeous (and huge!) diamonds, Phoenix! Great poll!

As for me? Best thing since sliced bread. :saint:

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Eek, PS has been a blessing and a curse for me. :errrr: Since joining, my DH bought my e-ring in early 2008 from Whiteflash, and then I bought a spinel RHR in 2009 thanks to the help of the folks in the Colored Stones forum. Then this year, I got a band from WF for my b-day, and because I am a totally spoiled wife, second-hand BGD bezel earrings. :praise:

I'd say that being part of the forum has been good in that I've learned more about diamonds and now I refuse to even look at maul jeweler's wares so I'm not wasting money on less than quality items. It's also been good for demonstrating to my DH that I'm not the only person who loves jewelry. ;)) He has also learned to appreciate jewelry from the things I've shown him from here, and supports an upgrade purchase down the line when finances permit.

It's been bad in that's it's been quite enabling, thought I don't spend much on clothes/shoes/hair/nails/purses or other items that might be deemed frivolous, since my major hobbies are reading and working out. My sister does NOT understand my love of all things sparkly, and probably thinks (though hasn't said) that my spending on these things is utterly ridiculous. She's a clothes horse and a shoe fanatic, though, so I have said on more than one occasion, "Nobody wants to inherit GRANMA'S PANTS!!" :loopy:

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've only bought my ering since finding PS. As I'm a student, I don't have the money to buy any other diamonds yet. I will as soon as I finish college. I'd love a diamond pendant or tennis bracelet.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth|1316117633|3018368 said:
Eek, PS has been a blessing and a curse for me. :errrr: Since joining, my DH bought my e-ring in early 2008 from Whiteflash, and then I bought a spinel RHR in 2009 thanks to the help of the folks in the Colored Stones forum. Then this year, I got a band from WF for my b-day, and because I am a totally spoiled wife, second-hand BGD bezel earrings. :praise:

I'd say that being part of the forum has been good in that I've learned more about diamonds and now I refuse to even look at maul jeweler's wares so I'm not wasting money on less than quality items. It's also been good for demonstrating to my DH that I'm not the only person who loves jewelry. ;)) He has also learned to appreciate jewelry from the things I've shown him from here, and supports an upgrade purchase down the line when finances permit.

It's been bad in that's it's been quite enabling, thought I don't spend much on clothes/shoes/hair/nails/purses or other items that might be deemed frivolous, since my major hobbies are reading and working out. My sister does NOT understand my love of all things sparkly, and probably thinks (though hasn't said) that my spending on these things is utterly ridiculous. She's a clothes horse and a shoe fanatic, though, so I have said on more than one occasion, "Nobody wants to inherit GRANMA'S PANTS!![/b]" :loopy:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Three -- it's my 3 stone engagement ring.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since finding PS, I've reset my ering, from a classic yg solitaire, to a wg split shank solitaire. No new diamonds involved. :(sad :(sad

So, keeping in mind the over .20ct rule, I voted zero. However, I did buy a blue topaz/diamond eternity band, thanks to PS. I would never have known about IDJewelry without PS, so thank you! The total diamonds is .15, with about .35 topaz. Sparkly little things, though!

eta: PS has also given me a greater appeciation for the diamonds I already own. Gifted earrings that are beautiful quality, and heirloom ering (mine and GM) as well as two pendants, each and every one of them special. So, again, thanks!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
This should be good for me--make me realize how obsessed I am.

Came on here to buy an anniversary ring. .66 ct F SI1 AGS000 set in plat solitaire
then was gifted earrings .90, .91 HVS2 ACA's, that makes three
Then I bought a half eternity, .49 in plat, 5 stones, so I guess that counts as one thing
another half eternity, .17 18k white gold, 17 stones, so one thing
bracelet 2ctw, also counts as one. this makes 6 things...
ring with .70 heart shaped solitaire which I changed into a pendant
ring with 1.19 center stone, 78 points other diamonds but nothing over 8 points so counts as one thing
ring with .08 center stone--I guess that counts as nothing at all (good, lowers total)
at 8 now..
ring with .25 old mine/OEC transitional diamond (it's transitional between old mine and OEC, not between OEC and MRB)
right now buying a ring which JUST passes muster--.20 pear cut to make into another pendant
And I'm going to make a pendant at the same time of a .12 diamond that I have, half of a pair of earrings I bought but gave one to my son but since that one wasn't for me, I only have one .12 which doesn't count and makes a grand total of 10 diamonds bought since PS, which puts me on the borderline of crazy, not COMPLETELY crazy.
I've only bought the first three at PS vendors.
And actually, since the first three were all gifts from hubby, do I have to count them? Can't I just call it seven diamonds please please?

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1316109167|3018290 said:

Good point.
Many settings have zillions of melee.

I've bought 9.07 ct, but size ain't everything because some diamonds are more $$$ for the weight.
The most expensive one was a tiny 0.10 ct Fancy Red.
:kiss: :shock:

Right! Also, some PSers have bought smaller diamonds but each purchase, i'm sure, was equally exciting and somewhat nerve-wracking too. The spirit of this thread is to see how many times we've purchased bling since discovering PS, ie. how our behaviour has been driven by PS, how many times we've engaged in bling buying behaviour and our effort each time we bought yet another piece of diamond. So a person could buy say a 2.5ct stone vs. someone else who shopped 5 times and bought 0.50ct each time. The latter may be able to only afford 0.50ct each time but they keep going back and buying more because they see the bling on PS and thus their purchases get racked up/ become more numerous because they are prompted by all the beautiful bling on PS, inclg all the various cuts/ shapes that are not available/ not seen had they not come across PS.

Also, as stated before, any piece of jewellery comprised of melee is counted as ONE only. Pls note also that Admin has kindly changed the criterion for counting each diamond as GREATER than 0.20ct.

I coukld certainly do a poll based on carat weight but that would have a slightly different objective and meaning and I'm sure results. Even if you do a poll by carat weight, you'd still need to count any piece with melee as one, otherwise the total caratage would be skewed in a different fashion.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maplefemme|1316104242|3018250 said:
PS had a different effect for us, we haven't bought more diamonds as a result of joining but it certainly upped our budget for my E-ring.
I wasn't given a budget per se but at the begining of the year I found a ring that was $3,500 on etsy and I was more than happy with it, but when I showed my SO he thought it was hideous and suggested we look together and we consequently found PS.
That resulted in a large increase in budget to around $23,000....
That said, I also discovered GOG via PS and I am saving for an AVC as a RHR and my plan is to upgrade it as a long term project. I also want one of Rhino's 5 stone AVC bands for my wedding band.
I'd say PS has had a significant impact on our diamond buying budget overall but in return I am thankful for all the education PS has given us so at least our purchases are educated ones!

:o Wow! That's a huge increase in budget! Have you posted pics of this new beauty on PS by any chance? I'd love to see it.

I think Jonathan has got many of us hooked on those beautiful vintage cuts of his! Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing, certainly not for our wallet!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1316134129|3018560 said:
This should be good for me--make me realize how obsessed I am.

Came on here to buy an anniversary ring. .66 ct F SI1 AGS000 set in plat solitaire
then was gifted earrings .90, .91 HVS2 ACA's, that makes three
Then I bought a half eternity, .49 in plat, 5 stones, so I guess that counts as one thing
another half eternity, .17 18k white gold, 17 stones, so one thing
bracelet 2ctw, also counts as one. this makes 6 things...
ring with .70 heart shaped solitaire which I changed into a pendant
ring with 1.19 center stone, 78 points other diamonds but nothing over 8 points so counts as one thing
ring with .08 center stone--I guess that counts as nothing at all (good, lowers total)
at 8 now..
ring with .25 old mine/OEC transitional diamond (it's transitional between old mine and OEC, not between OEC and MRB)
right now buying a ring which JUST passes muster--.20 pear cut to make into another pendant
And I'm going to make a pendant at the same time of a .12 diamond that I have, half of a pair of earrings I bought but gave one to my son but since that one wasn't for me, I only have one .12 which doesn't count and makes a grand total of 10 diamonds bought since PS, which puts me on the borderline of crazy, not COMPLETELY crazy.
I've only bought the first three at PS vendors.
And actually, since the first three were all gifts from hubby, do I have to count them? Can't I just call it seven diamonds please please?

Nope! Have to count them, gifts or purchases for yourself! DEF count them! :devil:

It's ok, you're not the only bling-obsessed, carazy one here!! Come on over and join us! :wavey: :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
coatimundi|1316112820|3018326 said:
Phoenix|1316074984|3018052 said:
:))
- three pairs of super-ideal diamond studs with Brian (have since returned 2 pairs for upgrading)
- a 3.50ct pear-shaped diamond
- a 3-stone ring (middle stone is a "blue" and the sides are from JA)
- pear drops which have since been returned to JA for upgrading
- super-ideal RB pendant also from BGD
- an Octavia wt GOG which I am upgrading towards a bigger one

You have such gorgeous (and huge!) diamonds, Phoenix! Great poll!

As for me? Best thing since sliced bread. :saint:

Well, thank you, kind Ms! :)) The feeling is mutual. I absolutely adore your bling too. :love: , not to mention the valuable advice you've given all of us here on PS.

Yeah, def best thing since sliced bread, lol! :naughty: :))

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rosetta|1316112565|3018323 said:
Only 3.

The rest were given to me so don't count.[/quote]

Was any of them influenced by PS or has anything to do wt PS? If so, pls count them! :devil: :lol:

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Surprised so many people bought their engagement ring before PS!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1316117633|3018368 said:

It's been bad in that's it's been quite enabling, thought I don't spend much on clothes/shoes/hair/nails/purses or other items that might be deemed frivolous, since my major hobbies are reading and working out. My sister does NOT understand my love of all things sparkly, and probably thinks (though hasn't said) that my spending on these things is utterly ridiculous. She's a clothes horse and a shoe fanatic, though, so I have said on more than one occasion, "Nobody wants to inherit GRANMA'S PANTS!!" :loopy:

Ha ha, too funny! :bigsmile:

I agree that PS has been a blessing and a curse for me too. DH does support my bling habit and generally is supportive of my being on PS (PSers have been amazing and I love being here), but he does roll his eyes every time he sees new bling on me, even though he knows of them beforehand.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1316146210|3018679 said:
Surprised so many people bought their engagement ring before PS!

Me too. This is quite unexpected.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1316107739|3018276 said:
I've bought maybe 30 and returned about 10.

Care to share more, Kenny? didn't know you bought so many! That's got to be a record here on PS.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy123|1316112155|3018318 said:
oMG, this sleep deprived momma did carat weight DOH :-o sorry phx
no your goodies are more exciting :naughty: I love your collection. :love: :love: :love: I have pics out there

He he, all my new mother friends complain of the same thing! Sleep-deprived that is.

Off Phoenix goes to search for Skippy's bling. I dunno how I could've missed it. ALL bling is beautiful btw. :love:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
27. OMG. 5 ACAs, 1 AVC, and the rest are small setting stones.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh I have bought several things. Let's see

- Studs 0.25tcw, I have pretty small earlobes so this size looked quite nice. They were lost/stolen this summer ;( so it they do not count.
- Cluster ring with a 0.25 center surrounded by 8 0.05ct, so 0.65tcw. I have since sold it so it does not count.
- Engagement ring 1.07ct OMC with 0.56tcw melee in rounds and baguettes.
- Dainty 0.25ct transitional in a solitaire with "emerald" french cuts. I so want to make a big sister to this one someday.
- 0.8-0.9ct OEC solitaire, planning to sell this one since it is just too pretty.
- Loose 0.43ct transitional, planning to make a pendant with it. But it has a visible carbon inclusion so I don't really know what to do. What would you do?
-2 x 0.35ct OEC that are going to become my new stud earrings as soon as I decide which setting I want.
- Lovely vintage band with 9x 0.02ct single cuts.
- Emerald ring with 6 x 0.05-0.08ct OMC. Bought it planning to use he diamonds for another project but now I think I might sell it.

So several purchases but most are small sizes, but still big for where I live. I have still not seen a single person wearing something bigger than my e-ring.

For me at least, PS didn't create my need for spraklies. I have been in love with pretty tings since I can remember and have since I was 9ish hated everything to do with cubic and the like. However PS has given me the feeling that it is ok to get all these pretty baubles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results