shape
carat
color
clarity

How Many Changes Did You Make When You Had A Piece of Jewelry Made?

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
So, am I the only one who has changed my mind several times about a ring I'm having made?

This is the first time I've tried to have something made and I am such an idiot. I'll think I have everything down just right, send an email, and then...

At least I've only received one CAD so far, so it's not very far into the process at least. But still... It's been much harder than I thought it would be.

Tell me I'm not the only one, please. Okay? :)

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No you are not alone.

Nearly all my jewellery projects involved more than one CAD or mock up.

I have given up on one project to date with Golden Bird for a custom ring with no other stone except for a centre heart cut Moissy.

The customisation was simple to me, for a thick bezel and a thick band, yet they could not appear to get it right after many message exchanges and with clear drawings from me.

In the end I gave up and was given the full refund for the stone (the silver ring was being made for free as a promotion).

The ring pendant project with my JW Rubellite is not going well, in that the second CAD did not wow me, and I have issues about the overall ring being too high, too grand and too impractical etc...

I may drop the idea of a ring pendant and go back to a simpler air gap flower design as a ring only, so that it gets a better cost per wear.

I am having a ring remade as the gallery is too plain and boring.

So no, you are not alone.

Have a look at the thread about a 5-stone bezel diamond ring, and it will make you feel better (I have stopped reading the updates some time ago).

DK :))

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re definitely not alone. CADs are not always easy to interpret but it gets better as you gain experience (usually :shock:).

I had one project where I changed the entire ring midway through because I hated how the CADs turned out. Right now, I’m working on a diamond ring with an emerald halo and that project has had so many freaking CAD revisions (and countess hours of frustration for both the jeweler and myself, I’m sure :eek-2:).

Most CAD projects go pretty smoothly. Just take your time and I’m sure it will turn out beautifully. I have one piece of advice: Look over the CAD and note your changes....then sleep on it. I’ve found that I almost always have that one extra thing I want to change.

If you’re looking for more CAD help, feel free to post them here and we can help. :mrgreen:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, ladies. "Sleeping on it" is an excellent idea. I did find that thread about the five-stone ring. Yikes!

The problem I've had starts with the fact that this ring will hold interchangeable stones. So its center bezel needs to be sturdy enough for that. I was afraid that a ring that was otherwise smaller would be dwarfed by the bezel, so went from a small halo setting to a large flower ring that would be too large to look good on my ring finger and would be worn on my middle finger.

Then I realized that I had drifted from what I really had wanted, which is an everyday ring to wear on my ring finger. So I switched back again.

I'm waiting on the second CAD and this should be it, aside from maybe a small adjustment or two on the details.

I appreciate knowing I'm not alone in the changes because I did feel like a fruit loop! I wonder if those CADs take a lot of time to put together?

@DK- A ringdant sounds so cool. I've seen a couple of them on here. I really like the gadgetry of interchangeable jewelry. But I also definitely agree with you about wanting to spend your money on something you'll wear a lot.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
@elle_71125 that is great advice. I struggle with CADS moreso because every vendor seems to use a different program so I have to start all over with my learning curve.

@seaurchin I think some CADs take longer than others to do, like starting from scratch versus adjusting a shoulder or measurement. And some vendors outsource their CAD work, which is fine but, that can add to complexity not to mention cost.

I got lulled into thinking I had it figured out with a few rings, the designer was really quick with changes and encouraged them and then had a project where it seemed like I was being difficult by asking for a single adjustment (that didn't need to be changed from the 1st CAD). I go back and further questioned if "custom is for me" but I do have some lovely pieces so I guess I'll plow ahead. Working with patient jewelers who want you to be happy makes all the difference. I sort of bristle at "you're gonna love it" vs " I want to make sure you love it"

FlashyFlamingo

Shiny_Rock
I just send a bunch of inspiration pics and go with whatever the jeweler comes up with. I just assume that they know what they’re doing more than I do and go with it. So far, I’ve been quite happy with everything I’ve had made. Especially anything made by David Klass. I think I could send him a stick figure drawing and he would come up with something beautiful. I think I’m definitely in the minority here.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@seaurchin I love interchangeable jewellery, and had many ideas for rings, pendants and bracelets.

When my mum finally gave me her 1.96ct MRB a few years ago, I considered having it set in a way so that it can be worn as a ring, pendant, brooch as well as bracelet, and was informed by different benches that the cost would be sky-high, so I gave up on that idea.

I also considered for the JW Rubellite to be worn as a brooch as well as a ring or pendant, and the bench said no it cannot be done, and I do not wish to pay through the nose to pursue the brooch idea further, as the chances of me wearing a nice brooch for a formal event is far and between nowadays.

The JW Rubellite was intended as the bail of an interchangeable pearl pendant project, along with a JW white Topaz. That project is now shelved, and I do not know what to do with the white Topaz yet, however, it is most likely to be as a pendant.

DK :))

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speak up and make the change. One time I was not given the chance ("I thought you already approved the wax...?") and was unhappy with the end result. I thought it would grow on me. It didn't.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am completely clueless when it comes to ring designs and completely in awe in seeing how others approach their projects with such vision and detail.

For me, custom projects usually starts with a an arrangement of stones I want to use and some loose thoughts to brainstorm around using words, scribbles or bunch of inspiration stones.

Then I look at a drawing or sketch and that's usually where I make changes.

Once we agree on a design, the formal CAD is produced. I lack the visual acumen required to read CADs.so seldom make changes unless it's something really obvious.

(My about to visualize designs and read drawings is so bad that I barely passed my drafting class in college).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results