shape
carat
color
clarity

How many carats do you think this is?

oval regret

Rough_Rock
How many carats does this ring look without the halo setting?

A226899D-56E4-4235-A2BA-A6E86AFFC63C.jpeg

Attachments

• F299F3A0-7F4C-47E9-AD4B-50C27DB4B7B2.jpeg
    F299F3A0-7F4C-47E9-AD4B-50C27DB4B7B2.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 39

oval regret

Rough_Rock
My sincere apologies if I broken the rules. Just wondering if anyone here think this looks 3 carat proper because the ring was cut too deep causing the stone to appear smaller face up. Most of the carat weight is in the bottom like an iceberg.

Would a 8% overall appearance / ratio (length and width) make my stone significantly smaller? On diamond data base, my ring is 8% smaller face up compared to the standard.

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
Well I'm truly hopeless at guessing anything! But I think your ring is beautiful, looks lovely on you - are you not happy with it?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sincere apologies if I broken the rules. Just wondering if anyone here think this looks 3 carat proper because the ring was cut too deep causing the stone to appear smaller face up. Most of the carat weight is in the bottom like an iceberg.

Would a 8% overall appearance / ratio (length and width) make my stone significantly smaller? On diamond data base, my ring is 8% smaller face up compared to the standard.

No no, @oval regret - you haven't broken any rules. It's just that it's a lose-lose sort of game. We don't know your finger size for a start, and that makes ALL the difference. And your ring *does* have a halo, and it's impossible to see your oval without the halo, so the eye is always misled. As for depth, obviously we can't see that either - so, all in all, it's impossible to tell.

However, since it's a fancy cut, there's really no 'ideal' set of specs, so I'd be looking more at how much light it returns, is it nice and white and clean, and does it have a bowtie in the middle? As for size, it's clearly very substantial on your hand, so I'd put a check against that aspect of things and be more concerned with its overall performance.

oval regret

Rough_Rock
Well I'm truly hopeless at guessing anything! But I think your ring is beautiful, looks lovely on you - are you not happy with it?

After comparing other 3 carats and checking on diamond database, my diamond is actually cut too deep. I think that cause it to appear smaller face up (2.5 versus 3 carats) because the rest of the carat weight is at the tip of an iceberg in the bottom :(

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
But it looks lovely & a great size on you.

If it were me, I'd be really happy with it, unless having something that looks very big is your top priority.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Just from the pic I guessed between 2.5-3 cts. With fancy cuts esp pear/oval/marquise there’s a lot of variation in cut parameters and much of that is personal preference. I have a chubby pear cut for example but others love a more elongated cut. If it has good light return and minimal dark bow tie effect, and you love it, I would stop worrying about numbers. The size is great for your hand IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size? The perfect size. Looks to be a beautiful size on your hand. Perfectly proportioned. ❤️

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely looks like a 3 carat stone to me!

And ditto @missy , it looks amazing on you!

Edit... @oval regret

Super Ideal ovals (like the Elyque), are cut deep to achieve better light return.

The depth on this one is 67%

Most of these Astor Ideals are cut at 68%+

Last edited:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Each oval is unique and is cut for various reasons ; maximize weight, minimize a bow tie, avoid flaws or to mask inclusions. If you like it and the sparkle and brightness is there...enjoy. Three carats is an amazing size and if you are looking for textbook proportions -including high color - you may be paying a lot more for the difference that may not be that noticeable. I love ovals and never have regretted having one as my ER. IMHO, it looks like 3 ct. and looks huge on your finger.

LoveMeDo

Shiny_Rock
How many carats does this ring look without the halo setting?

A226899D-56E4-4235-A2BA-A6E86AFFC63C.jpeg

Awww your user name makes me sad! If that’s really how you feel, do you have any recourse? Can you return or exchange for something that will be more mind clean for you?

It looks like a very lovely size to me, but I also know that it doesn’t matter what we think - if it drives you crazy I hope you can do something about it!

ellekay

Rough_Rock
Honestly, it looks bigger than 3 ct to me. Unless your fingers are crazy tiny.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love me an elongated look! If it’s any consolation, it looks bigger than my 2.9 round! Enjoy it!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
After comparing other 3 carats and checking on diamond database, my diamond is actually cut too deep. I think that cause it to appear smaller face up (2.5 versus 3 carats) because the rest of the carat weight is at the tip of an iceberg in the bottom :(

Honestly @oval regret your diamond looks huge on you and so, so perfect for your hand, perfectly proportioned I'd say. Sometimes I think it's easy to get hung up on the numbers, after the fact, when in reality all that should matter is that you love your diamond. I'm positive that my diamonds aren't what others would consider ideal, but I truly don't care, they're sparkly and beautiful to my eye. You have to love your diamond and if the only thing you're unsure about is the size, then don't be, she is certainly very impressive and I bet you she grabs attention where ever she goes! =)2

Tayberry

Shiny_Rock
It doesn't matter how many carats, you're obviously unhappy with the ring so talk to your partner and change it. Also your photos in poor lighting don't allow us to see much of the cut or setting.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks huge to me! Very beautiful.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
It will look this and that carat carat size to some and this or that carat size to others. For most people it will just look really big without even having an idea what carat size it could possibly be.

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock

I guessed 3 ct before I read this post, just based on your photo. So, to me, this 3ct center stone looks 3ct.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have guessed 3-4 cats but it depends on your hand size. You don’t have knuckle room for a bigger oval.

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
From all your posts it’s clear you don’t like this diamond. Nothing anyone says will make you like this diamond. Everyone keeps telling you the facts - there are no ideal set of characteristics for ovals. You can’t compare them like you can with round diamonds. You seem to have a mental block with this diamond though and no matter how many people tell you it looks large and beautiful on your hand it won’t change that you don’t like it. So my best suggestion to you is to talk to the person that gave it to you and see if it’s possible to exchange it for something else that you have a hand in choosing. Otherwise I think you will be unhappy for a very long time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results