shape
carat
color
clarity

How many carats are the engagement rings in your group of friends?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 3.02ct ering and a halo'ed 3.50ct pear (that faces up more like a 4ct, even without the halo, since it's shallower).

My late mom used to wear a 1ct, though when she was much younger she had a 2-3ct (can't remember exactly what she told me). Some of my sisters and nieces wear 2ct erings and larger earrings too, though they live in London, which I'm really surprised about and am constantly warning them to be careful about and not to get mugged. The rest of my sisters and nieces wear about 1ct or smaller, which seems to be the norm in the UK.

My sisters-in-law (on DH's side) wear HUGE erings, somewhere from 3ct+ and upwards. One of them (who lives in HK and who actually has a diamond business, amongst other things) is often seen sporting a huge RB (prob 4.50ct?) on her LH and a fancy diamond on her RH. Last time I saw her, she had on a LARGE fancy yellow ring. Man, this thing is HUGE, I'd guess somewhere around 7-8ct. Her own daugher who is in Uni also has some very pretty and larger diamond earrings. One interesting thing to note, the first time I noticed larger diamonds was in the US amongst my in-laws.

My friends vary. Some have smaller than 1ct, some don't even have an ering. Others have erings ranging from 2ct-3.5ct to 5ct (this last one has LOTS of bling, including 6ct+earrings and a bracelet made up of 80-90pointers and 3-stone ring with 2.75ct in the middle and 1.5ct on each side, and about a dozen or so high-end watches, most of which are diamond-encrusted
6.gif
). One friend has a very pretty Lucida, about 1.4-1.5ct which sparkles like crazy.

My ex-colleagues in Singapore wear smaller erings, somewhere from 0.5ct to 1ct.

I don't feel awkward amongst my family members or friends, but did feel slightly out of place amongst my ex-colleagues. If and when I ever go back to the corporate world, I'll probably tone down and wear something smaller, like a 1ct-1.5ct. No point in encouraging them to think I don't need a promotion or pay-rise!
2.gif

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm....my sister has a 1ct center diamond. Out of my closest friends, there is a 1ct EC with tapered baguettes, around a 1.2 ct asscher cut with trillions, and a 1.3 round with smaller rounds on each side.

My ering is a 2.3 ct eternity band, so no real comparisons between them. I''ve been so happy with my choice in erings since we chose it!

hihowareyou

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Mine is 0.63
My mum''s is very small but just perfect on her I think 2 stones around 0.05-0.1 each though I''ve never asked.

I only have a few female friends who are engaged. Most seem to be around the 0.20-0.5 range. When my ring was being made one friend asked "is it big?". I didn''t know how to reply so said its 0.63 and big to me, knowing that it is slightly above average for many people here but also small by many other people''s standards. She seemed to agree that 0.63 was quite large. It appears that in the US rings (like many things) are generally bigger.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
My mam''s original e-ring is about .4ct but she upgraded last year to a 1.2ct solitaire.
Most of my friends have roughly .5-.7ct.
I have a 1.23ct so it''s a bit bigger but not so much that I feel awkward.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
my friends all have .25 ct rings or smaller big diamonds are not the norm in Oz, mine is 1.27ct so it is bigger then what I see around but not massively big

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
My SIL has a 4.5 ct cushion and it''s the biggest of all of my friends. I think my best friends is a 2 ct princess. Everyone else is in the the 1 to 3 range.

I''m a guy, thus no diamonds for me. Of course that doesn''t mean I don''t want any, because trust me, I REALLY do.

SapphireLover

Brilliant_Rock
Good question. Where I live and work, average size seems to be about 0.2-0.5ct.

Back home, girls my age have about 1.5-2ish. Quite a few of our mum''s have 2.5+. A lot of people my mum''s age are either married to jewellers or have had a good stone passed through the family. My mum wears her mums which looks like an old OMC or OEC and looks about 2.5-3cts.

Mine is a 1ct emerald cut and where I live it is considered huge- people are quite taken aback with it. I was back home for Jewish holidays and was looking at the rings in the synagogue and loads of them were HUGE and I had an inferiority complex about mine!

Lilac

Brilliant_Rock
My friends are mostly around 1.25 carats. Mine is a 1.7 RB with pear sidestones so it''s a little bigger than theirs (and a lot of them have solitaires so the sidestones add some finger coverage), but then again I do have one or two friends who have 2 carat RBs so mine is really somewhere in the range. I love my ring for what it is and I don''t really find myself comparing it to other rings often. My mom wears a 2+ carat pear which I always loved, but it took her years to get that
3.gif
Her first ring was about a carat and I have that stone set in a necklace. I''m trying to think about the rest of my family, and now that I think about it, I don''t think ANY of my aunts actually wear their engagement rings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results