shape
carat
color
clarity

How many carats are the engagement rings in your group of friends?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your mom, your sister(s), your girlfriends, etc...what would you say is the average size of their diamonds? Just curious!

I'd say most of my girlfriends sport about 1.25 carats. My current diamond is .98, so a bit smaller.

How about you? And do you wear something larger or smaller than they do?
10.gif
If you wear something significantly larger or smaller, do you ever feel awkward?

35.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Immediate family (mom and siblings): .5 carats or smaller
Extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins): around 1 carat
Friends: 1+ carats (average is probably around 2 carats?)
Coworkers: 2+ carats

I think among my family members, my stone is the heaviest (though it's a 1.5 carat asscher, so if faces up small), but among friends and coworkers, it's small.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
1 ct center or a little bigger, usually another half in side stones.

Mine is a .62. While I have no plans to ever upgrade my set (ie, I do not want to replace my center stone), DH and I are starting to talk about saving for an anniversary ring that is a bit bigger.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I doubt anybody I know has more than .75. Well...BF''s cousins are a bit better off, so their stones are bigger (including one 4+ cushion!), but my friends and coworkers are between .2 and .7 ct. There is one woman in my Weight Watchers meeetings that probably has 1.2, but that''s the biggest I''ve seen in my office. But then, I work for a conservative European company in the South. It''d be a different story if I was in DC or NYC.

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I have one close friend with less than a carat and all the others are 1+. I have a couple of friends who have around 1.25 carat RBs. The biggest any close friend of mine has gotten is a 1.6 princess cut stone.
Within my family there aren't many engagement rings. My mother does have an eternity band that has around 2.5 carats total weight in princess cut stones.
Where I work (grad student) the rings of the women (or fiancees of the men) in my grad student office are around the same carat weight as my stone (1.06). The women who work in the main office in my research center generally all have around .5-.75 carats (mostly engaged in the early 90s).

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Everyone around me hovers around the 1ct range. Mostly they are RB solitaires.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Depends.

Friends in the US? All average between 1-1.5 carats.
Friends in the UK? All average between 0.10-0.25 carats.

My current ring is about 0.5 carats. So, small compared to my US friends, but big compared to my UK friends.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ones in my family and friends are similar, all around 1.5 so I''m the baby of the group at just shy of 1ct. I don''t mind though, I have small fingers (sz 4.5) and the only colorless stone in the group, so the shine and sparkle hold its own. I think if anything, my friend that has the 1.8ct in a halo feels awkward since the rest of us mostly sport classic solitares.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Among friends, probably between 1.5 and 2.5 carats. Mine is 2 carats, so normal, but because it is a cushion it looks smaller than all the RBs.

I don''t have any female family members that wear diamonds besides my Mom and hers is .25 because that''s all my Dad could afford.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of my friends wears I *think* her a .6-.8, I''m not sure. She has a three stone, oval center diamond with oval sapphire sides, so pretty! Another wears a .3ish family stone. Those are the only friends that are engaged/married.

My mom wears a .7ish marquise, my cousin (who was my MOH) wore a .75 princess but lost her stone years ago and hasn''t replaced it
7.gif
, my aunt wears a round that looks just shy of a carat, and my grandmother wore a round that I guessed to be around .1-.15.

My center stone is 1.96ct (asscher, so smaller than most 2ct-ish shapes). I have major reverse shrinkage - even living in LA, I''ve felt more and more that it''s too big for me, and it''s not even all that large in the grand scheme of rings in this area.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
The average amongst my friends and family is .5 carat. There are a few that are slightly bigger or smaller, but most sit right at the half carat mark, and most are solitaires. Mine is a 3 stone with a .76 centre and half carat sides, so it''s significantly larger. I don''t usually feel awkward about it because jewelry is my thing. I think it all evens out in the end with my friends/family. I just choose to have diamonds as my luxury whereas they may put their money into TVs and computers and new cars and expensive vacations, etc...

I do feel kind of uncomfortable around my best friend though... I''ve had my upgrade for months and I haven''t told her about it or shown it to her because I don''t want to make her feel bad. Her diamond is a .25 and she''s never been happy with its size so I feel bad that I upgraded given that my original stone was already twice the size of hers. I don''t think she''s noticed my ring yet. She will at some point, but I don''t want to ''rub it in'' so I''ve said nothing.

trillionaire

Ideal_Rock
Most friends are .75-1ct, for the centers. Family is probably the same... I never really paid attention before...
28.gif

Mine is 1ct, but faces up a bit larger, so friends and family have reacted either to the percieved size or the unique shape and setting. Possibly both. My mom certainly thought it was big, and I wouldn''t want to go bigger, even on my size 7 finger!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My family members'' stones are probably all around one carat.
My friends'' stones are between 2 and 3 carats, but the average is probably in the low 2s. My stone is a 2 carat, I''ve never felt one way or the other about its size relative to everyone else''s stones. I''ve always just *loved* it for what it is.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Family is .5 or smaller. I have a couple cousins with 1 ct and one with 1.5 ish ct. I don't know anybody personally with more than 1.5ct. (98% are solitaires.)

Mine is .77ct cushion with .62 side stones.

MagsyMay

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 3:18:02 PM
Author: musey

My center stone is 1.96ct (asscher, so smaller than most 2ct-ish shapes). I have major reverse shrinkage - even living in LA, I''ve felt more and more that it''s too big for me, and it''s not even all that large in the grand scheme of rings in this area.

I could take that asscher off your hands if you want!!
2.gif
9.gif

Londongirl1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 1:29:45 PM
Author: gwendolyn
Depends.

Friends in the US? All average between 1-1.5 carats.
Friends in the UK? All average between 0.10-0.25 carats.

My current ring is about 0.5 carats. So, small compared to my US friends, but big compared to my UK friends.
The average size ering here in the UK is 0.25ct so my 1.01ct is huge by UK standards
9.gif
. It''s even more rare to have a GIA certified stone so I''m definitely in the minority. I use public transport to get to work and I get the ''where the heck did you get that from'' stares quite often

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
For family, most of the e-rings are around .50-.75 carat. Mine is the biggest at the moment at 1.00 cushion. Once my brother proposes, there will be a 1.00 carat RB in the family. My cousin plans on proposing as well and his future FI's will be around a carat as well. We may have the larger diamonds on our engagement rings, but the matrons in the family have larger diamonds on their rings that aren't e-rings. So I guess it evens out?

As for my friends, most of them have .75-1.5 carats so I fall in the middle and am quite happy about it! I have small fingers and and my diamond has a halo, so it's perceived as bigger than what it really is and that's good too!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
when I was getting married in the early 90''s everyone was hovering around 1/2 carat. 3/4 carat was huge, 1/4 carat was a little small and if you could top .50 you were lucky. My dream was a 3/4 carat oval but at that point in my life I would have been lucky to get a 10 pointer so I elected to wait... and wait and wait and wait... for 15 years lol

My peers now run the gambit, I think most really just wear plain bands. Plain bands are incredibly anonymous and while Portland has its extravagances, being blingy isn''t a big deal and yet seeing someone with 4 carats isn''t unheard of. Several have their old sets and a few have new ones around .75-2 carats.

Um, did I answer the question? lol

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm. My immediate family is from .33- 1.00. Sister''s is a 3 stone .74 cushion with 1.22 tcw and my Mom''s original ring was .33 ct. but her replacement ring is a 3 stone with .50 ct. center with 1.0 tcw.

Of my local group of friends, they range from .75 - 2 ct. +, but a few of those include PSers.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
The smallest in my immediate group is 1 ct, and the largest is 2 cts. Most fall from 1.5 - 2 cts.

wsu12

Brilliant_Rock
The ladies(aunts/cousins) in my family all have conservative diamonds, I would say 1 ct. max. I am originally from St.Louis and compared to Central Florida/South Florida where I live it is in general a much more conservative part of the country. My friends on the other hand...average is 2-3 ct. Huge for girls in their mid-late twenties.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''m older, so my married friends tend to be older as well. Most of the married ones have been married for 25 - 30 years at this point. When they got married, the trend wasn''t for bigger, flashier, blingier; in fact, most wedding rings/e-rings were quite ''unremarkable''. . . very ho-hum. And smaller. Much smaller. Someone with a 1ct. was considered to be livin'' large!

Then the years went by, and with them, styles and tastes changed. While I don''t especially advocate the ''more is more'' attitude that the Wedding Machine Created By The Media has fostered, I do appreciate the multitude of interesting ring choices available today.

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
Woo, my sisters is a .50 with a halo, my sister inlaws a 1.0 princess, my mother inlaws .50, grandmas a .50....most people around here are .50-1.0. If you see larger than that, it is like WOW!!! So, my rings seem huge!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting, thanks for your replies! I''ve enjoyed reading them.

We PSers are not the norm what with some of the massive rocks around here!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
My mother did not own any diamonds or colored stones.

My sister is a lesbian and wears a diamond band. Her partner will have a 1 ct diamond that was gifted from her grandmother (who is very wealthy, the diamond is from the clasp of a necklace! I want to see this necklace).

Most of my friends from work have stones that range in the 3/4 ct range to the 1.5 ct range.

My friends outside of work range from about 1/2 ct to just over 1 ct.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
I think among my girlfriends and coworkers the centrestone is between 0.5-0.75 ct. Mine is 0.59ct so average i suppose.

I''m very happy with it. If i want something bigger I will probably get a right hand ring (working on this project at the moment). FI is insisting that I not get anything over a carat... Could something be brewing in his pretty head about a future anniversary ring?
31.gif
27.gif
LOL

Sorry if I went on a tangent there for a bit.

Anyway, I am now seconded to a client''s office and the average e-ring size is somewhat bigger here. 1+ carat?

bebe

Ideal_Rock
My best friend has a 3ct EC - gorgeous

another friend has a 5ct pear, it''s freaking huge !!

then again another has a 1.5 ish RB

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My mom wears diamonds around 3 to 5 ct - she never received an engagement ring from my father. Her friends are all around the same range.

My friends range from 0.9 to 1.5 ct on average. There are bigger and smaller. We just purchased a 1.7 ct cushion.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m older, and most of my friends wear gold bands, no diamonds. One of my best friends wears what looks like a .75 pear. Funny, another really good friend who I''ve known for years had at least a one carat stone, and I haven''t seen her wear it in years. Strange...anyway, there aren''t any really big diamonds in my immediate family, my mom does have a nice size diamond, probably .75 carats in an illusion setting from the 40''s, I love it! My sister wears a diamond band, and my sil wears what looks to be about .5 carats. My bil''s wife loves jewelry and has some beautiful pieces, but interestingly she never had an engagement ring.

MissChi

Rough_Rock
I would say most of my friends have around 1 carat.

Mine is a 1.3 RB.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results