shape
carat
color
clarity

How long will you wait past your hair appointment time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been going to my stylist for a few years. I go every 3 weeks for color (grrr!)
This is one of those salons that has a spa and other services. It''s very nice, blah blah...
That said, if my stylist runs late, I am informed and they make sure I am comfortable.
Hand massage, tea ...
But I''ve never waited for longer than 15 minutes. I realize schedules are hard to keep.
Several times my stylist hasn''t been able to wash my hair, so an assistant will, and that''s ok. I realize she
can''t just wait around for 20/30 minutes while my color is on - she''s cutting or whatever another client.

But if I had to wait for my appt. every time I went in, I might be a little unhappy. And I''ve been
a little late a time or two. I''ll wait for her, cause I don''t want to change. It takes too long to find
someone good.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one of my closest friends is a hairstylist and she has talked to me about this... she never runs behind because she is lolligagging. sometimes clients come in for a their regular 'trim' but once in the chair decide they want a totally new hairstyle. sometimes they booked for a color touchup, and then want something different. if it is too much she will tell them they need to reschedule, but most of the time she just has to work it in (ETA because she has never been well enough established that she can turn away clients. if she doesn't do the new 'do, there is a good chance they will go elsewhere for the new cut and she will have lost a customer. she has to strike a balance). sometimes she gets an extremely finicky client who micromanages every move she makes.... anything can happen and she is working her tail off. many times she doesn't get to eat the entire time she is working!

knowing this, i wait patiently, personally. if i saw my stylist standing around chit chatting and she generally moved slow, then i would consider finding someone new.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 10:24:51 AM
Author: Elmorton
I''ve waited 30 mins before - but I was notified right away that it would be a 30 min wait, so I had the choice to cancel, stay, or run a quick errand and come back. That''s not a problem at all with me. I run late as a general rule, so I really don''t expect the rest of the world to be on time in the first place. I do appreciate it though when I''m notified right away that there will be a wait rather than sit there obsessing about what I should do with my hair, haha.
Yes, you know if a stylist is running late, they should at least inform the client so she does have the option of going and getting a coffee or whatever. FWIW, the salon I go to is right next to Nordstrom, so if I had known of the situation, I would have walked over to there and browsed during that time period and she wouldn''t have lost a client.

I''m VERY big on communication. I hate not knowing what is going on.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/23/2009 3:36:57 PM
Author:MC
Umm, a year?
3.gif

Oh wait, I thought you were asking how long we''d wait before FINALLY going back in for a haircut (even though they make you set up one six weeks in the future when you leave the salon - I always cancel that)
9.gif

It really depends on my day. I won''t leave just to make a point, but I''ll leave if I really don''t have the time to wait. I would probably get annoyed enough to give up after a half hour or so.

If it were a pattern and/or they kept telling me "5 more minutes!" (when they know it''s going to be longer, they just don''t want me to leave), then I''d find someone new. But I don''t get my hair cut regularly enough to maintain a steady stylist anyway, so I''m certainly not averse to finding someone new.

BeachRunner

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been going to the same stylist since I was little. He owns the salon, so if/when he''s running late (which he usually is, ~15-20 min), he''ll throw me in a tanning bed then have someone wash my hair. He''s usually ready by then
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 2:19:58 PM
Author: musey

Umm, a year?
3.gif

Oh wait, I thought you were asking how long we'd wait before FINALLY going back in for a haircut (even though they make you set up one six weeks in the future when you leave the salon - I always cancel that)
9.gif
hehehe I had the habit of waiting until split ends show up before getting a trim. Finally, I began marking the calender on the exact 12 week point (edited there - thanks for pointing that out Musey
1.gif
). (oh, but I am really go about shaving my legs every other day or so, at least I'm good about one thing. . .also trimming nails. I hate the feel of long nails!)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
For a stylist whose work I really loved, I''d wait a very long time. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt, and assume they aren''t running late because they are blowing me off/wasting time or anything similarly offensive.

I agree with you about the communication though MC - its important to try to let the client know what''s going on.

Unfortunately, I''ve only found a small # of stylists whose work I consistently loved. Two retired and one is in Boston, which isn''t really practical for me as I live in San Francisco.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gee, I pretty much never have to wait more than 5 minutes. My salon is great, and the stylist (who happens to be the owner) always greets each client *on time* and then assigns someone to begin the work. He supervises and does the actual highlights (no one does them better or faster), but has someone else do the washing. He does the cut, has someone else blow dry, then he finishes the cut/style. I''ve tried to keep track, and I think he juggles 3-4 clients at the same time. He also teaches techniques along the way and critiques the new stylists. Everyone in the salon follow this pattern. I''d shop around a bit if I were you. I wouldn''t wait 30 minutes each time.
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 3:05:13 PM
Author: MC
Date: 4/24/2009 2:19:58 PM
Umm, a year?
3.gif

Oh wait, I thought you were asking how long we''d wait before FINALLY going back in for a haircut (even though they make you set up one six weeks in the future when you leave the salon - I always cancel that)
9.gif
hehehe I had the habit of waiting until split ends show up before getting a trim. Finally, I began marking the calender on the exact 12 day point. (oh, but I am really go about shaving my legs every other day or so, at least I''m good about one thing. . .also trimming nails. I hate the feel of long nails!)
You get your hair trimmed every 12 days?? That is dedication.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 3:19:22 PM

Date: 4/24/2009 3:05:13 PM
Author: MC
hehehe I had the habit of waiting until split ends show up before getting a trim. Finally, I began marking the calender on the exact 12 day point. (oh, but I am really go about shaving my legs every other day or so, at least I''m good about one thing. . .also trimming nails. I hate the feel of long nails!)
You get your hair trimmed every 12 days?? That is dedication.
hahaha Totally. No wonder my hair dresser is always late. She must be sick of my neurosis and is trying to avoid me!
1.gif

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Ive never waited more then 15 minutes.More then a 15 minute wait becomes unprofessional and rude behavior.If the salon wants a rescedule then they should offer a discount to the client...the client who is late should be the one to be made to rescedule or be rushed through their cut so other arnt inconvienced.My parents owned businesses and when a customer was inconvienced or made to wait then they recieved discounts or free services to make up for the lack of service...I expect the same professionalism when Im inconvienced by a professional.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I would not mind to wait 30 minuts, If the person does a great job with my hair.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe twice in 4.5 years I''ve had to wait 10 minutes maybe. My lady is very prompt and I don''t mind waiting a few minutes for her. A couple of times she''s waited a few minutes for me. Poor timing or backed up schedules happen, but they shouldn''t happen every appointment.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve waited up to 20-25 minutes before... it is not unheard of, esp when i am a late appt. i find that often times just 5 minutes late for each client can add up come 3pm if the stylist started at 10am. most of the time though if she is late past 10-15 min she will have the receptionist call me and let me know so i don''t rush over and sit there...or when i get there she will tell me and i will do down to the bookstore or whatever and browse.

most of the time it''s ME that is late 5-10 min so i always figure when she is running late a few minutes it''s just karma catching up hahaha. plus i always use the same stylist so i would not ask to be transferred to anyone else because she was late..i am very picky about my hair.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I''d wait 15-20 min max for a stylist, dr. appt or whatever. Why? Because this is about how long they will wait for me without asking me to reschedule. I may make a one time exception, but if they are consistently later than this I will find a new service provider. I show them the same courtesy that they show me. Frankly, I have a very busy schedule and do not have time to sit around and wait for a service I am paying for. I pften schedule appts for my lunch hour, and if my 30 min appt. starts 30 min late it will through off my schedule. It is up to the stylist to manage their schedule and clientele. When I was an attorney in private practice, I would never have dreamed of leaving a client sitting for 30 min or more. If I had, I am certain a number of them would have found another attorney.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i want the person cutting my hair to give me undivided attention. i expect each client wants the same. if each client is 5 minutes late, i don''t want the stylist making up lost time on my cut! i''ll wait for a good cut. perhaps i shouldn''t be scheduling my appointments so close together..........

mz

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2009 11:37:59 AM
Author: Mara
i've waited up to 20-25 minutes before... it is not unheard of, esp when i am a late appt. i find that often times just 5 minutes late for each client can add up come 3pm if the stylist started at 10am. most of the time though if she is late past 10-15 min she will have the receptionist call me and let me know so i don't rush over and sit there...or when i get there she will tell me and i will do down to the bookstore or whatever and browse.

most of the time it's ME that is late 5-10 min so i always figure when she is running late a few minutes it's just karma catching up hahaha. plus i always use the same stylist so i would not ask to be transferred to anyone else because she was late..i am very picky about my hair.
Maybe that is why I was so annoyed. I'm always punctual! I'm neurotic about that and cannot stand when others keep me waiting.

Possibly I'm going to the wrong type of salon. It's a bigger one that offers color, cut, manicure/pedicures, waxing, etc., and it has nine salons exclusively here in WA. All of my relatives go to the same salon. I'll get a recommendation for a new stylist. The one who did cut my hair didn't do as good of a job, but I do not want to go back to the one who was late. Next time I'll get an 8:45 am appointment!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results