shape
carat
color
clarity

How long to CADs take?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329702976|3129691 said:
Also I am not quite understanding why they need to have your rings in the first place? Can't they take measurement and send them back? If nothing else I would ask for them to be returned to you ASAP!

They mentioned that because I am asking for a custom eternity ring and because my own setting is very low, they want my rings on hand so that they can take pics of my own rings with a wax model of the proposed eternity band to see how it works/fits together together.

I wonder if they could just make wax models of my rings and then photograph wax with wax (I ask this knowing nothing about how easy or difficult it'd be to make wax models so please ignore me if I'm suggesting something that isn't as easy/straightforward as I think it is).

Now I've also got to thinking...if they haven't asked me for a deposit....what happens if I DON'T like the CADs they come up with? What if they then charge me? That woudln't be fair because they never told me that upfront. I hope they don't hol dmy own rings as ransom, lol.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329703263|3129697 said:
Honey I know you feel since you have no money involved that you need to have an excuse to contact them but honestly they should be answering your questions no matter what you are the customer you shouldn't be made to feel like a neusance.

Ha, when I complain to hubby about this situation one of the ways I try to explain this to myself is that I'm just a "small fry" compared to other clients and maybe that's why I'm on the back burner, lol. You're right....I NEED to contact them tomorrow.

chele162

Rough_Rock
In that case...I definitely think an assertive email, like Allie suggested is in order. That way, you can get everything in writing and hash out all the details. I know that if it were me, having all that, would make me worry less. It definitely seems like you need to give them a little push and to make sure that you and the vendor are both on the same page.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
If you don't like it then they need to keep working on it until it is done to your satisfaction or until you cut this project from this vendor.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329703625|3129706 said:
If you don't like it then they need to keep working on it until it is done to your satisfaction or until you cut this project from this vendor.

Sorry, what I meant was....say they show me the CADs (having never taken a deposit) and I don't like them and they cannot re-work it to be what I want so I have to abandon the project. I wonder if they'd back charge me for the CADs, since they never told me there was a deposit required in the first place?

See how the mind starts thinking of the worst sometimes?

I checked my client details on their website and it shows the last email I sent with no reply. I definately need to address this in writing tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Don't feel like a small fry :) and keep us posted! They definitely made me feel kind of like a small fry too. I had to harass them for a while eventually just gave up since I feel like I shouldn't have to work this hard to give them money!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329704225|3129714 said:
Don't feel like a small fry :) and keep us posted! They definitely made me feel kind of like a small fry too. I had to harass them for a while eventually just gave up since I feel like I shouldn't have to work this hard to give them money!

Really?? Did you have intentions of starting a project with them and then you dropped it and went elsewhere?

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
if you didn't sign any contract or pay them anything I would not expect them to ask you for a payment especially if you end up not happy with what they did for you.

Yes I was looking for a diamond with them. I looked and looked through their inventory asked like 3-4 times if they cold help me find something. Continued to have to harass them. When they eventually ran some of the inventory numbers for me and came up with nothing and said they were not sure if they can find something for me I just went somewhere else.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Doh! Today is a holiday in the USA. Its a holiday too in Ontario (different holiday). I was all ready to compose my email. Best I send it tomorrow I think so it doesn't get lost in all the other emails they may get today.

rsun

Rough_Rock
I recently had a custom ring done. After discussing what I wanted, I got 7 CAD images sent back to me about 5 days later. I wanted some minor modifications made and the next set of CADs came 2-3 days later. After I ok'ed those it took 3 weeks to actually finish making the ring. I should be receiving the completed ring tomorrow.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Finally got the CADs yestereday after emailing them yet again.

Got to speak to the jewller today to iron out any questions I had about the CADs. I've never really worked with CADs before so its funny for me to look at them an dpicture the final ring, lol.

Finally this ball is rolling a bit quicker now :) Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!

chele162

Rough_Rock
sirbenson|1329957235|3132046 said:

Got to speak to the jewller today to iron out any questions I had about the CADs. I've never really worked with CADs before so its funny for me to look at them an dpicture the final ring, lol.

Finally this ball is rolling a bit quicker now :) Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated!

Yay! I'm glad to hear that the project is moving along!

Did they mention anything about getting your rings back to you before your date?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
sirbenson said:

Yay!!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
chele162|1329957449|3132049 said:
sirbenson|1329957235|3132046 said:

Yay! I'm glad to hear that the project is moving along!

Did they mention anything about getting your rings back to you before your date?

Oh, yes, my original rings will be back to me on time :) I can wait longer for the eternity band though. Interestingly enough, the vendor mentioned that they are going to keep the design and add it to their stock designs now that the CAD is made so that people with a very low setting like mine would have an option for an eternity band.

Now I just need to decide if I should go FULL eternity or leave a few stones out for the sake of future re-sizing.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
I am so glad things are rolling!!!! Do you think it was the email you sent them?

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
AllieLuv83|1329958957|3132072 said:
I am so glad things are rolling!!!! Do you think it was the email you sent them?

Definately! Unless it was a HUGE coincidence that I got the CADs a few hours after my email.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
Well I am very happy for you! Would you mind sharing the cads?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm glad your project is underway.

Usually when I am contracting a custom project I ask for leadtime. CADS can be done overnight, but there are usually customer's ahead of me. So I ask the vendor when I can expect my CADs, and then of course once I have the first CAD, the process goes pretty quickly. And then you wait (and you ask for a timeline here) till the project is done and in hand.

I hope you love it when you get it in person!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1329965182|3132159 said:
I'm glad your project is underway.

Usually when I am contracting a custom project I ask for leadtime. CADS can be done overnight, but there are usually customer's ahead of me. So I ask the vendor when I can expect my CADs, and then of course once I have the first CAD, the process goes pretty quickly. And then you wait (and you ask for a timeline here) till the project is done and in hand.

I hope you love it when you get it in person!

I would have told them that had they even bothered to tell me that that they were starting the CAD process. The situation is that I sent my rings in for measurements and they were suposed to call me to let me know my options. I never got that call and then one day I called in and was told that CADs were underway.

Anyhoo, now its water under the bridge as I finally have the CADs and can't wait to see it in person.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Squeeeee!!!! Picked up my rings last night from FedEx and I'm so glad to have the rings in my hot little hands. I'm pleased with the way the eternity band turned out. Also, very glad I went with shared prong vs. other styles. I will post some pics in the SMTR forum later for all to see. Thanks to all who offered advice.!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOO HOO,!

Did the complete set make it back intime for your event? Looking forward to pictures!

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Enerchi|1330782379|3139888 said:
WOO HOO,!

Did the complete set make it back intime for your event? Looking forward to pictures!

Yep, they all made it back on time. Back in time for my birthday and two other events that I have to attend :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome news!! Yay!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results