shape
carat
color
clarity

How long should it take?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m having my local jeweler make me a pair of diamond drop leverback earrings ala piccolascimmia''s beautiful pair. I took the stones in on Feb. 12. I gave instructions that I want them handmade with wire so they show the back of the stone, just like hers does. They''re making them in platinum.

Well...... I''m still waiting! Here''s what I think they should have done: based on measurements of stones, make platinum wire O-ring, solder three wire prongs and one small loop to O. Polish. Order platinum lever-backs. Attach basket to lever-back and solder. Mount diamonds. What...... 3 weeks tops?

What they''re doing: take one week to make CAD of baskets, call me in to approve, send CAD out for casting, wait two weeks, order platinum lever-backs, wait a week for them to arrive, send to bench that did CAD for them to attach basket and mount stones, another week to week and a half. So.... a total of 5 and a half to 6 weeks?

I called them this week, and they have just ordered the levers, so I have another two weeks to wait!

I use this jeweler on many of my smaller projects because they are local (support your local economy) and the bench guy does a good job with all of the half mangled old pieces I drag into him to rehab. He would have been fully capable of this job!! Unless he doesn''t fabricate in platinum? I told the guy I''m working with that I would go wg, but the plat quote was only $150 more, so I figured why not upgrade? I know he''s practicing CAD, but this project didn''t need it!!

I''m a really good customer, so why would they "yank me around" like this?

my dangle earrings.JPG

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 9:32:00 AM
Author:Upgradable
I''m having my local jeweler make me a pair of diamond drop leverback earrings ala piccolascimmia''s beautiful pair. I took the stones in on Feb. 12. I gave instructions that I want them handmade with wire so they show the back of the stone, just like hers does. They''re making them in platinum.

Well...... I''m still waiting! Here''s what I think they should have done: based on measurements of stones, make platinum wire O-ring, solder three wire prongs and one small loop to O. Polish. Order platinum lever-backs. Attach basket to lever-back and solder. Mount diamonds. What...... 3 weeks tops?

What they''re doing: take one week to make CAD of baskets, call me in to approve, send CAD out for casting, wait two weeks, order platinum lever-backs, wait a week for them to arrive, send to bench that did CAD for them to attach basket and mount stones, another week to week and a half. So.... a total of 5 and a half to 6 weeks?

I called them this week, and they have just ordered the levers, so I have another two weeks to wait!

I use this jeweler on many of my smaller projects because they are local (support your local economy) and the bench guy does a good job with all of the half mangled old pieces I drag into him to rehab. He would have been fully capable of this job!! Unless he doesn''t fabricate in platinum? I told the guy I''m working with that I would go wg, but the plat quote was only $150 more, so I figured why not upgrade? I know he''s practicing CAD, but this project didn''t need it!!

I''m a really good customer, so why would they ''yank me around'' like this?
40.gif
This is why I stopped working with local jewelers. It doesn''t make sense though, the way they''re going about this is wonky. Not to mention the fact that they should have ordered the leverbacks when the project began! Sorry upgradalbe. That sucks.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I know! And I really feel strongly about supporting the local economy!!! This jeweler has been in business for over thirty years, but with so many non-local options I don''t understand why they don''t become more responsive to consumers who could quite easily go somewhere else?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
gees -

and in what parallel universe does it take a week for a platinum pair of lever back to arrive anyway??

i use my local guy for small stuff, and he''s terrific - think *fast*! when i had my earrings repaired (which had the thread in SMTR) they were snapped and needed a new diamond. i dropped them off at 1.30pm and picked them up at 4.30pm. now *that''s* service.

i''d be crawling out of my skin if i were you. no way this is necessary - ridiculous!

i''m really sorry Uppy
7.gif
i hope when they come that you Absolutely Love Them!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, whit! Me too. I''m just afraid that the basket will be bulky because of casting instead of wire fabrication. After waiting this long though, I''m going to be tough on them and not just take them if they''re not what I want. They damned well better be perfect after this long a wait!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
yes!

now is the time to be that frightening person who is the bane of all tawdry shop keepers...

SUPER Consumer!

(whoooooooooosh!)

(sound of cape being thrown over shoulder)

seriously - i wouldn''t be taking anything less than perfect at this point! and actually - why do we put up with ''less than perfect'' so often when we''re paying for it anyway??

go get em, girl!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a long time! I had a jeweller repair and remake an entire ring in less than 2 weeks. Simple baskets shouldn''t take 5 plus weeks. Is it a busy time of the year? Christmas has gone, Valentine''s has gone, and anyone who thinks about jewellery for Mother''s Day probably isn''t think about it yet.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Pssst. Any news?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Uppy is on vacation

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/1/2009 11:57:12 AM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Uppy is on vacation
Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local guy is swamped; for some reason, lots of people are getting engaged so he''s busy. It took him 3 weeks just to set my ring.
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results