shape
carat
color
clarity

how long should a custom setting take?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gia7700

Rough_Rock
I found the perfect solitaire bezel setting for my loose stone, but the designer said that it would take 10-14 days to make and set. Is this a normal amount of time? I guess I''m getting a bit paranoid about leaving my stone out of my sight for so long (after hearing all the stories of stones being switched). Should I have the designer make the setting while I hang onto the diamond until it is ready to be set? Is it even possible to make a bezel setting without having the stone right there? How long would it take to set a stone into a bezel setting and is it even something that I could wait around for? Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
This sounds reasonable - especially if they need to send it out. Before you turn over your stone make sure you have it in writing verifying all of the stones stats (i.e. VS1, G color, 65% depth, 38% crown angle etc...). Then and most important know where the diamond flaws are and have them map them together with you on the invoice. A gem print is even better if they do that. If your at a trustworthy place there should be no problem with these requests.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes it takes 10 - 14 days and other times it can take four to six weeks, it depends on the complexity of the project.

squirerad

Shiny_Rock
gia7700, your 10-14 days sounds pretty expedient compared to the "minimum 6 to 8 weeks" i was told to wait on my setting. i agree with poster above, keep your diamond as long as you can and make sure they have a 10x plus darkfield microscope so that you can examine your stone when it is set. it'll be best to memorize your stone's inclusions so that you can immediately identify it, which will be especially handy for the multiple trips to the jeweler for cleaning and polishing.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
If it is a design that involves a wax and casting, 10-14 days is fairly quick for a custom ring.

If it is a production bezel and shank, then it is average to longer than average.

Most good shops will under promise with regard to time in order to have a safety margin.

The purpose being, to not dissapoint the customer in case of a snafu.

When there is a problem with a casting, etc. , many times you will have to start again from scratch, carve a new wax, cast, etc.

Such is the case with custom jobs and the vagaries of custom making something.

The custom job is never finished until it is finished.

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
It also depends on the work load of the jeweler, and as stated above, in case of a problem. As with any sale or contract, do only what your comfortable with.
It also depends on the complexity of the project in relation to the expereince of the one doing the work. Our firm makes our own goods...all of them. Some projects take only 1 to 3 days to make and send, others 4 to 6 weeks. Then there is workload, Mainly the extra time is to cover ones own self in case of a problem, and likewise, its always nice to have a nice supprize for a customer rather than a nasty one time span wise.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 4/28/2004 1:15:23 AM Feydakin wrote:

Wow.. I wish we got 10 to 14 days to make things.. We got a job today that has to be done by Friday.. We carved today, cast tomorrow.. Try to finish it all Thursday..

----------------
We used to do that. Never more. I would rather tell a client up front that it will be six to eight weeks and deliver in three than promise three and have it take six to eight. Guess which one will make your client madder!

Rush jobs: Always elevate stress on both sides of the sale.
Rush jobs: Always seem to be problem magnets. (If it can go wrong, it will!)
Rush jobs: Always cost more to make but sell for the same as a normal job.
Rush jobs: Cost way more clients than they gain.

Just a suggestion, but if you are letting your clients dictate to you when your jobs have to be ready, then you are always going to be doing rush jobs that will cost you money and loose you clients over time. We have had a few clients go elsewhere if we were not able to meet their schedule, but we have also been able to do a better job and make more people happy since we quit doing them. It is hard the first time you have to say no, I can not put six other people's work back to take care of yours, but in the long run it will make you and your clients MUCH happier.

Wink

P.S. To the original question and about leaving your diamond with your jeweler. Ask your jeweler to look at your diamond under the scope with you and make a diagram of the visible inclusions under the microscope. Then when you pick it up, look at it again. Better yet, if the diamond is engraved on the girdle, mark that spot with a marker pen and ask that that spot not be under a prong. Of course this will not work with a bezel setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results