shape
carat
color
clarity

How long has your iPod lasted?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
So, I was in love with my iPod when I got it in January 2005... 40GB, top of the line.... and about $400. It''s continued to work well until the last couple months. It''s been freezing up and randomly not recognizing some of my songs. Tonight itunes wouldn''t recognize it at all, and then told me it was corrupted. I''ve spent the last FIVE HOURS trying to reinstall everything and fix it! I think I''m on the way to getting it working, but what a pain! So I was just wondering, is this normal for it to only last 2 years? I''ve been reading that some people''s last a year or less. I figured that as long as I didn''t drop it or get it wet, I didn''t have anything to worry about... but I guess they can just spontaneously die?! What has been your experience?

I think if I do end up replacing it, I''ll just get the cheapest one (the nano for $150) so that I won''t be so mad if it breaks down!

Have you guys seen the new ipod + nike product that helps you track your workout?! Super cool looking (only for nanos through) and only $29! So if I do have to replace mine, I''ll console myself with a cool new workout monitor!

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gail,

Most articles and reviews that I''ve read have said that IPods should only be expected to last about two years... their batteries are not intended to hold up beyond that, and unfortunately Apple does not make the batteries replaceable (well, without paying big $$!).

From personal experience, none of my friends or family have had an IPod last much beyond two years either... things slowly start to go haywire until they stop working altogether. I think it''s just one of those things we have to deal with if we''re going to choose an IPod instead of a non-Apple MP3 player.
40.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry you are having so much trouble. Its frustrating to spend that much and not have something last. I have a 3rd generation (buttons under the screen, not a click-wheel) and mine is 3.5 years old and the only real problems I have is the battery has gotten bad. It does fine while it is playing, but doesnt hold the charge long when its not in use. I just charge it a lot.

Companies do make battery replacements (Here is one) but I''ve never tried doing it.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for writing! Yeah, when I got it, I thought oh the battery might go bad, a newer hipper slicker model might come out, and I have to be careful not to drop it, etc. But that's why I bought the best one at the time so that I didn't run out of capacity, and I've been careful with it, and I don't care that newer hipper models have come out. It didn't occur to me that it might just go bad altogether. Blah! Well, it's holding together temporarily after last night's big ipod-fixing session, but who knows for how long
7.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have a warranty on it? Mine has one so if that happens you can send it back and they will fix or replace it... Might want to check, just in case!

*M*

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 12:08:24 PM
Author: poptart
Do you have a warranty on it? Mine has one so if that happens you can send it back and they will fix or replace it... Might want to check, just in case!

*M*
I didn''t buy the extended warranty (it was so expensive, didn''t seem worth it) and it is outside the standard 1 yr warranty. I usually don''t buy extended warranties because I find them to be a rip off. Oh well. I can afford to replace it if need be (not that an ipod is a "need" anyway) but I am just annoyed, b/c I had hoped to enjoy it for many years.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
How do you use it? Do you jog or exercise with it? The larger models are hard-drive based and can''t handle being jostled well, whereas the nano and shuffles are flash drive based and can handle almost anything you do to them. Kind of ironic that the more expensive models are more fragile, but it''s true. I''ve had my 60 gb video for a year and a half and it''s still going strong. The only freezing problem I had was right after I got it.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i just have a shuffle that i have had since dec 05 and it''s still going strong, knock on wood. plus if it breaks down it''s only $79 to replace it. hehee.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m on my 3rd Mini in 2 years. I kept having battery issues where it just wouldn''t hold the charge and would die after like one song. Happened on the first 2 I got. Fortunately, I had purchased Apple Care (I think that''s what it''s called--their warranty thing) so the 2 replacements have been for free! I''m keeping my fingers crossed that this one lasts a little longer but if not, I''ll probably follow Mara''s lead and just get the little shuffle so it won''t feel like a huge burden if I have to replace it.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Gail,

Did you by chance use master card to pay for your ipod? If you did, did you also know that master card doubles the original warranty, thus giving you 2 years? My original ipod lasted just shy of 2 years - the hard drive went. I had taken it to the Apple bar located within the Apple store in the mall and was told it was gone - dead gone! They printed me out a repair estimate, which was about the cost of a new ipod. I called master card and they gave me the requirements needed to honor the "doubled" warranty. After filing the paperwork with master card, they wrote me a check for the ipod repair charges. The Apple store also gave me, I believe it was 10% (don''t quote me here) off the price when I turned in the dead ipod toward the purchase of a new one. It''s worth checking into.

So, from now on - all my major purchases go on master card! (Sounds like a commercial, doesn''t it?)

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
My dad bought me my first iPod for X-Mas 2001 - it was the first model ever sold (my dad is obsessed with Macs so he always has to have the latest and greatest of everything Mac). It's funny because I remember using it on the subway and someone coming up to me asking me what it was - today you looking around the subway and EVERYONE has one.

Anyway, it still works (even after I dropped it down an entire flight of stairs) - I just have some trouble downloading new songs onto it.
20.gif
I also have a mini which is still going strong and a shuffle for the gym.

All iPods can be rebooted so, depending on your version, you'd have to look that up. But, I know on my mini, if you hold the center button and the menu button down at the same time you can reboot it if it freezes or crashes. Have tried rebooting?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have an iPod but use a Sony mp3 player instead. I''ve had it for a year and half and I am amazed at how well this little thing works. I use it to workout and I have dropped it on a number of occasions. No problem. The battery lasts for hours and hours and HOURS. And at the risk this sounding gross, I clip it to my workout pants with the clip out the outside and the device secured between the elastic and my skin. I did this because when I use to clip it on the correct way, it was dropped once too often. I used to try to put some kind of material or tissue to protect it from my skin but I ended up forgetting too often. So the moisture from my skin looks like it''s fogged up my player or something (I know...gross), but it STILL works great.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Oh, great ideas everyone! thanks! I may very well have put it on mastercard, but it''s been just over 2 years. Darn! Thanks for that good info though, I''ll remember to put future purchases on mastercard!
I think the problem is that I use it when running. At the gym, I put it in the treadmill''s compartment so it doesn''t jostle too much. I don''t use it when I run outside anymore because of the jostling, but before I knew that, I used to run with it sometimes and it would freeze up. I spent all of last night restoring it to factory settings, reinstalling itunes on my computer, and re-instating my music. what a pain!
Well, cross your fingers that it holds together for a while longer! I feel better to know that I am not the only one who has had problems with their ipod.

Rock Candy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2007 2:30:57 PM
Author: gailrmv
Oh, great ideas everyone! thanks! I may very well have put it on mastercard, but it''s been just over 2 years. Darn! Thanks for that good info though, I''ll remember to put future purchases on mastercard!

I think the problem is that I use it when running. At the gym, I put it in the treadmill''s compartment so it doesn''t jostle too much. I don''t use it when I run outside anymore because of the jostling, but before I knew that, I used to run with it sometimes and it would freeze up. I spent all of last night restoring it to factory settings, reinstalling itunes on my computer, and re-instating my music. what a pain!

Well, cross your fingers that it holds together for a while longer! I feel better to know that I am not the only one who has had problems with their ipod.

That is EXACTLY how my first one broke - it got jostled around too much when on the gym treadmill. I had it on a clip type holder and clipped it on the top of my shorts. When I purchased my second ipod, the Apple store told me to put it on an arm strap and never clip in on my shorts. Now mind you, I must "pound the pavement" pretty darn hard - I do 4 miles/day - six days/week. So I guess I abused it pretty bad.

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
Mine stopped once, froze, iTunes wouldn''t recognize it - but the reboot fixed, no problems since. It was a nano - solid state, no hard drive.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting about the jostling messing up the iPods. I have abused mine to no end, just short of dropping it. As a matter of fact, its been in the bottom of my work bag for the past week getting who knows what abuse. No problems using it today in my car. I''ve also used it at the gym... either in the holder on the treadmill or clipped to my shorts. Guess the older ones are more sterdy?

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
We have a Mini, and have had it just over two years. We only charge the batteries when they run down completely, which is prolly why they work better. rechargeable batteries are supposed to be run down before being charged, it makes them keep longer.

It holds a charge for about 7-8 hours of play. Closer to 7 with the radio transmitter.

My brother had one of the full sized iPods, when he had a recall on the battery Apple sent him a new one. I don''t know what Apple is doing now a days though.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it is called planned obsolescence. The internal battery eventually dies and cannot be recharged, or other things go wrong...and they just tell you you must have dropped it or something...

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''ve had my pink iPod mini since Sept 2004 and I still love it. It''s frozen up a couple of times and I''ve had to reset it the way Blushingbride mentioned. I use it almost every day, but never for more than about 90 minutes at a time. Battery life is definitely not what it used to be; probably about 3-4 hours max. This is the 1st generation mini, the 2nd gen has better battery life to start with. I just stick it in a charger when I''m not using it and that works fine. Lithium batteries do not need to be completely discharged before recharging. I''ve dropped it several times and it''s got the dings to prove it. I use it for working out and housework. But I use it while on the treadclimber which is a treadmill with "treadles" that go up and down. You don''t run on it; it''s more like hiking uphill so definitely not as much jostling as a runner would have.

I was thoroughly bummed when the first nanos came out because I thought they were so blah! But I like the 2nd gen nanos -- they look like tiny slim minis -- and will definitely consider getting one when my mini finally dies. Most people I know with other mp3 players (other brands) definitely complain even more about lack of longevity -- but they''re kids (students) so who knows what abuse the things take!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a nano and it is now starting to have issues after 1 and a few months. I guess that is the way it goes; I have gotten a lot of use out of it though!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results