shape
carat
color
clarity

How long do Lindor Truffles last and how to store them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
So I bought a boatload of these at easter:
http://www.typetive.com/candyblog/item/lindt_lindor_truffle_eggs/

My stepbrother is getting married August 14th and they are using little birds for their invites. My friend and I are crafting very cute favors that involve using egg shaped truffles. I''ve read on some pages about not refridgerating them (they sweat!) and being careful of the old chocolate white film situation. I have a ''control'' group of chocolates, a couple of boxes, to test out when the time comes to put them in the favors in case I poison the guests or something.

I did read somewhere though that truffles don''t last long and are meant to be eaten right away. Summers get hot here so I''m not sure what the best way to store them is. Work remains relatvely cool but that doesn''t seem ''ideal'' to store them in my office.

Help!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d freeze one or two for a week and see how that works out for the filling. If all seems well, I''d go with that.

Don''t refrigerate them. And storing them in a cool dark place wouldn''t be a bad second choice!

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/13/2009 5:20:45 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I''d freeze one or two for a week and see how that works out for the filling. If all seems well, I''d go with that.

Don''t refrigerate them. And storing them in a cool dark place wouldn''t be a bad second choice!

If I freeze them though when they thaw wouldn''t that make them mooshy? I''m just concerned about where to put them to maintain the temperature. I read that one women said to put them in tupperware then put them in a wine fridge. Seems a bit extreme! :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you leave them out in a cool dark place they should be fine. Want me to go buy some and stick them in the freezer for a week so you don't have to waste any? I'm always melting down chocolate for some reason or another but mostly for experiments...so it's not like it would go to waste!

Chocolate is a funny thing. There are 4 different types of *crystals* that are in cocoa butter that solidify at different temperatures, and when they are all crystallizing at the same time, it's a stable mixture until its melted down again. The problem with "bloom" aka the white stuff on the outside, is when the temperatures change, it gets warmer and a type of the crystal in the cocoa butter melts away from the rest and that's the filmy stuff you see. It's all very complicated.

So the outside should be fine with freezing. I'm just not sure about the inside because I've never tried it. (Wondering what is on the ingredient list now...)

Seriously though. I can swing by the grocery store tomorrow. What type are they? Milk? Dark? Ultra dark or whatever?

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i bought a lot of the regular milk chocolate and the dark chocolate with mint after christmas. the price was very low and i use them in gift baskets. i used some for easter and sampled some myself. they were fine. hth.

eta: i stored them in a plastic storage tub in my basement.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Okay so last night I read on the Lindor site that truffles should not be frozen due to the filling in them. Instead it said keep them 60-68 degress. OR I was thinking airtight container in the fridge. I mean SUPER airtight. i put a small snaplock tupperware type container in the fridge last night with a couple of extra chocolates. I guess letting them get to room temp when removed is key to lot get condensation on them, then remove them from the container.

Freke, let me know if you put some in the fridge or freezer how the experiment works out. I''ve got my few in there.

I should at least be able to seal them in an airtight container for now right? Lindor says their choclates have a shelf life of a year or so. Summer gets mighty warm here though. I need them for August.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't put them in the refrigerator period. The problem with the fridge is that there is humidity and
water + chocolate = nastiness. So unless it's vacuum sealed, I wouldn't do it.

FI and I are going to the grocery store tomorrow, so I'll get some then and test out the freezer...

What temp do you keep your house at during the summer? 70s aren't optimal for it, but it's not that far off.

Airtight at room temperature for now should be fine.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never knew not to put them in the fridge. Pre-diet I bought lots of these and always placed them in the fridge. They stayed fine and tasted amazing.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bee, did you eat them right out of the fridge or did you wait for them to come back up to room temperature?

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I bought these for my wedding to put in gold boxes as part as my favor.. champagne and chocolate..

I saw them in the summer but was afraid to buy them due to the heat . Even though I have AC , my house still can get hot. I could of stored them in my husbands basement, but decided to wait because I wanted them "fresh". Well, when I went back to the store in the fall ( my wedding was in November ) they had raised the price a few more dollars a pound.. costing my a bit more. I think I bought 20 pounds.

Getting back to your situation, No refrigerator at all.. I would store in a cool dark place.

They are very yummy!!!!!!!!!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 1:05:10 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Bee, did you eat them right out of the fridge or did you wait for them to come back up to room temperature?

straight out of the fridge. Is it when they go back to room temp that they''re yucky? I love them when they''re nice and cold.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any basement type locales to store these in. I was thinking if we could maintain the temperature they may be ok but what about going ''bad''? Do they spoil after four months?

The Lindor site said to get them back up to room temperature. I read that you should do that BEFORE You even take them out of the container. Then you remove them.

Freke, with all that in mind AND an airtight or vacuum sealed container, would the fridge work?

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
I still would not refrigerate the chocolate. It leaves a white chalky look to the truffles.

violet02

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 4:51:22 PM
Author: crystalheart1
I still would not refrigerate the chocolate. It leaves a white chalky look to the truffles.

That''s just straight non-air tight container refrigeration though right?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I bought them before and they don''t last very long. There weren''t any the next day.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/14/2009 2:39:45 PM
Author: violet02
The Lindor site said to get them back up to room temperature. I read that you should do that BEFORE You even take them out of the container. Then you remove them.

Freke, with all that in mind AND an airtight or vacuum sealed container, would the fridge work?
I bought milk chocolate and the extra dark (and chocolate milk, chocolate pudding, applesauce, Reese's peanut butter cups, as well as a bunch of fruit and veggies--we must have looked like choco-holics) truffles and put two of each type in the freezer and two of each type in the fridge. I'll take them out next Wednesday, ok?

I've bought the milk chocolate ones before and eaten them straight of the fridge without any problems.

The problem arises when the chocolate goes from being cold to warmer and condensation forms. Just like on a water glass. Yuck-o!

If your house is normally under 80 during the summer, preferably 75, I'm thinking you'll be fine. Just keep them in a closet away from windows, doors and drafts.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i just gave in to a craving and went to my stash for some of the lindt truffles. the bag is clearly stamped with a date and the date was 10/31/09. i purchased them the last of december. they were fresh and very good. i don''t think you will have a problem keeping them until august unless your home is not air conditioned and you live in a very hot climate where they may melt.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At my house they would last five minutes and I would store them in my stomach.
11.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lol April!!!!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good news! I kept them in the fridge and the freezer (2 of the dark and 2 of the milk) for a week and a couple of days, and there is no discernible difference from the ones that have been out in room temp and the ones that were in the freezer or the fridge. I''d still stick with the freezer though.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Can''t answer the question, but I LOVE Lindor truffles! Yum!

honey22

Ideal_Rock
What a ridiculous question - everyone knows you have to eat them straight away cos they go off
11.gif
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results