shape
carat
color
clarity

how long did it take you to find your stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
just curious.................working on an upgrade and there isnt alot out there

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
How long... Six loooooong months of looking. Half of the search being pre-pricescope. My specs were tight on what I wanted but it was slim pickings. I found my stone the day after it was listed with the cert being graded only a few weeks before.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
thanks--was yours an upgrade? what size stone (if you dont mind me asking)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well i wasn't really ready to buy just yet, but it was about ~8 months before the stone i ended up with was available. nothing before then was really close to what i wanted. and there was just this one stone...slim pickins for sure!! my upgrade was with WF so i didn't have the ability to consider every purchase avenue like with a new stone, but thank goodness this stone came in and it was still doable even with the evil recent price hikes.

jasontb

Shiny_Rock
Didn''t take me long at all (maybe a week) once I figured out what I wanted (that took a month or two)...but I had some pretty open requirements. I didn''t care about anything except:

1) 0.8 - 0.99 ct.
2) H&A
3) Sparkliest diamond I could find
4) At least near-colorless
5) Eye clean

For instance GIA/AGS didn''t matter...price didn''t matter...exact color didn''t matter...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

My upgrade was supposed to be for my 20th anniversary, which was in Sept. 2005. Have seen a handful of stones (3-4 carat range) in person and a myraid of stats on databases, but have yet to "choose". First I kept changing my mind as to shape--went from rb, to oval to cushion and now back to rb. Now that I have decided on a RB again (I currently have one), I keep changing my clarity and color parameters. Actually, the whole process gives me no end of headaches and I really am on the verge of giving up as I feel I'll never actually decide on anything at all. My DH, although I am convinced he never really listens to me about my upgrade searches, has given to saying..."just buy SOMETHING, for chr-----sakes".......

cheers--Sharon

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 10:08:20 PM
Author: windowshopper
thanks--was yours an upgrade? what size stone (if you dont mind me asking)
Don''t mind at all. It was an upgrade and I purchased a 2.57ct F VS2 Round. I kept getting told it gets harder for Ideal specs the larger you go. Did find a 3ct G SI-1 with MB flourescence that was an Ideal but I couldn''t get over the color or clarity so I passed even though it was actually around the same price. It sure was pretty but I don''t have any regrets.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 10:24:07 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

My upgrade was supposed to be for my 20th anniversary, which was in Sept. 2005. Have seen a handful of stones (3-4 carat range) in person and a myraid of stats on databases, but have yet to ''choose''. First I kept changing my mind as to shape--went from rb, to oval to cushion and now back to rb. Now that I have decided on a RB again (I currently have one), I keep changing my clarity and color parameters. Actually, the whole process gives me no end of headaches and I really am on the verge of giving up as I feel I''ll never actually decide on anything at all. My DH, although I am convinced he never really listens to me about my upgrade searches, has given to saying...''just buy SOMETHING, for chr-----sakes''.......

cheers--Sharon
Would you like to join my support group for the hopelessly indecisive?

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
how about DAA (diamond addicts anonymous)

hello my name is windowshopper and i am a diamond addict

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone I have right now (for 30 days) is 1.44 cts.,H VS2, and I think I will have to move up to G VS1. Believe it or not, it is not easy to get a good selection in the 1.3-1.5 range in ideal cut, hearts and arrows. Part of my slowness is trying to narrow down exactly what I want, and then it''ll take awhile for a diamond with those specs to appear. I''ve been looking since January, but I have wavered on G-H color and VS1 and 2 clarity. I missed the perfect stone once at WF. It was posted and gone within a day or two. I thought about it a little too long!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
6 months for a 1 ct H VS2 asscher with storm worthy patterns
2.gif
... I thought it would never end!

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ok everyone.... close your eyes & repeat after me "I will find my Upgrade".... now repeat (lol)!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 10:35:46 PM
Author: windowshopper
how about DAA (diamond addicts anonymous)

hello my name is windowshopper and i am a diamond addict
That''ll work, too.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll volunteer to decide for you all.

I''ll be the PS personal shopper. Tell me your desires, your budget and let me loose!!! For a small fee I will make all your decisions then tell you how happy you are with my choices.
3.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 10:42:04 PM
Author: Diam100
Ok everyone.... close your eyes & repeat after me ''I will find my Upgrade''.... now repeat (lol)!
So you want to be our group leader?

sasquatch

Rough_Rock
It took us a minute or 2 to pick the diamond from a choice of 3. We were considering an under-a-carat diamond, but Nice Ice didn''t have too many so we ended up with a 0.52 ct F VS2 diamond.

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Ok Gypsy where were you 6 mths ago huh??? I swear I have a new grey patch on my head with my upgrade written all over it.

ETA: Group leader no waaaaaaay you all might make me crack up & admit myself to the nearest hospital.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 10:44:32 PM
Author: Diam100
Ok Gypsy where were you 6 mths ago huh??? I swear I have a new grey patch on my head with my upgrade written all over it.

I was... hmm... apparently not here, where I should have been. *Hangs head in shame* I''m sorry.
3.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Group.... cult. It''s all good. Just do as I say, and no one gets hurt.
23.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha gypsy i love that idea. personal diamond shopper!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah. *Sigh*

Too bad Tiffany thought of it first. No haggling. Priced to sell and perfectly picked to suit your budget and taste. Unless you can''t afford Tiffany... or *gasp* don''t like their stuff. That''s where I come in. With my cattle prod. *hides it behind back*... oh that? Nothing, I was just kidding about that.

Does anyone NOT like Tiffanys?
33.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2006 11:00:20 PM
Author: Gypsy
Does anyone NOT like Tiffanys?
33.gif
Oh my!

Just type Tiffany into the search tool and let the wind whisk you away into reading neverneverland....
11.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay... I know people have a problem with the snobbery and the premium pricing... but I mean if all things were equal... would folks still have a problem with it?

Heck! Why am I arguing! These are my customers. Hate Tiffany. Tiffany is evil.

Come to me. I''ll be your personal diamond shopper. Who needs Tiffany when you got Gypsy.
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s hard not to like their jewelry...it''s the prices, attitudes of some sales people, etc. that are the problems. I think I''d have some Tiffany rings if money was absolutely no object. But I''m too practical to buy there since I can practically get a new ring and earrings of equal quality for the same price as one equivalent ring at Tiffany.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GYpsy, we were thinking the same thing but I type 3 times slower than you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS
2.gif
Great minds think alike. As for the typing... well, I use it a lot.

Okay... SORRY FOR HIGHJACKING THE THREAD WINDOWSHOPPER!

Goodnight all.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/15/2006 10:34:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

HI:

I may have to!! But I have been close a couple of times: dependant on an appraisers assessment, I (locally) "bought" a certed 3.16, D, RB in Oct 2005--but the inclusion "scared" me as it was right under neath the table and the appraiser could not "reassure" me I would not have a chipping problem....just told me to make sure it was "insured". I deferred. But it was oh so beautiful otherwise...I became discouraged quite early in the process.

Then James Allen hunted down a GIX XXX J SI1, 3.06 and I almost signed on the dotted line two months ago, until I told my husband the diamond would be mailed to me and he exclaimed WHAT you bought a $$$$$$ diamond sight unseen???? Once again, I deferred. Should have just flown to the east coast and picked the dam thing up in person. (I am in Western Canada)

Most recently, again I (locally) "bought" a certed stone dependant on an independant appraisers assessment, but this time the color was " in question" and I once again, deferred. It was a 3.01, H , SI2 (eye clean).

Because I have been "spooked" once by clarity (Si2), and once by color (H), and once by shopping online, I have changed my parameters in color and clarity (both much higher) and now I feel my chances are diminished if I don''t have the guts to shop online. So it would seem nothing pleases me.

Something else I didn''t consider unitl recently, is that I am quite attached to my original RB 1.46 F VS1 stone and wonder if that is holding me back. Sentinmental perhaps????? Who''d a thunk it, as I change my diamond jewellery like I change my handbags.......

Psychological help? I think I am beyond hope......
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2006 1:14:57 PM

Date: 5/15/2006 10:34:14 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

HI:

I may have to!! But I have been close a couple of times: dependant on an appraisers assessment, I (locally) ''bought'' a certed 3.16, D, RB in Oct 2005--but the inclusion ''scared'' me as it was right under neath the table and the appraiser could not ''reassure'' me I would not have a chipping problem....just told me to make sure it was ''insured''. I deferred. But it was oh so beautiful otherwise...I became discouraged quite early in the process.

Then James Allen hunted down a GIX XXX J SI1, 3.06 and I almost signed on the dotted line two months ago, until I told my husband the diamond would be mailed to me and he exclaimed WHAT you bought a $$$$$$ diamond sight unseen???? Once again, I deferred. Should have just flown to the east coast and picked the dam thing up in person. (I am in Western Canada)

Most recently, again I (locally) ''bought'' a certed stone dependant on an independant appraisers assessment, but this time the color was '' in question'' and I once again, deferred. It was a 3.01, H , SI2 (eye clean).

Because I have been ''spooked'' once by clarity (Si2), and once by color (H), and once by shopping online, I have changed my parameters in color and clarity (both much higher) and now I feel my chances are diminished if I don''t have the guts to shop online. So it would seem nothing pleases me.

Something else I didn''t consider unitl recently, is that I am quite attached to my original RB 1.46 F VS1 stone and wonder if that is holding me back. Sentinmental perhaps????? Who''d a thunk it, as I change my diamond jewellery like I change my handbags.......

Psychological help? I think I am beyond hope......
11.gif

cheers--Sharon

How about a nice new fancy setting for the lovely RB you own? Something in a three stone or a halo perhaps? Or a designer setting by one of the fabulous drool worthy designers we''ve seen paraded through here?

Maybe it is fear of change. And really, if it is... perhaps a smaller change would be best. A new setting would do you wonders. I promise.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/16/2006 1:18:42 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 5/16/2006 1:14:57 PM

How about a nice new fancy setting for the lovely RB you own? Something in a three stone or a halo perhaps? Or a designer setting by one of the fabulous drool worthy designers we''ve seen paraded through here?

Maybe it is fear of change. And really, if it is... perhaps a smaller change would be best. A new setting would do you wonders. I promise.
2.gif
HI Gypsy:

You are very kind in your suggestion for a new setting--but I really am a solitaire girl for an ER (see, didn''t I tell you I was hard to please??
2.gif
). Thing is, I keep thinking something "better" will come around the corner and I might "regret" my purchase. Very prudently, my husband told me back in Oct to choose wisely, because he never wanted me to "look at my finger and continually realize why it was a bargain".

Also, this diamond shopping is very time consuming and most days I really don''t have the physical and mental energy to keep on top of such things. I just want something to fall into my lap or my husband step up to the plate, but i know that is unrealistic. Anyway. I should have my own blog on the subject
3.gif
!!

cheers--Sharon

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I looked for a month. That was waaayyy too early. Luckily I was pretty flexible. I knew nothing about diamonds, did my learnin'' on here, and went out to look at the stuff in real life. I didn''t have a size range in mind. I only knew it had to be a D color. Clarity, carat, cut was all open. That made it easier since I could look at a wide range of diamonds. Only problem with that is I went in expecting to spend about $10K and ended up going over 50% that budget simply cuz I got shown some big rocks and well, the bigger ones looked better obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results