shape
carat
color
clarity

How long before your first upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
OK, so here''s the deal: Either I have been spending too much time on here or maybe it was seeing the other girls'' fabulous rings at the LA/OC GTG but I think I have been bitten by THE BUG. I contemplated getting a pear but I am far too much attached to my stone to change it, plus we would rather save for a house first before buying additional sparklies. So I thought about changing my setting for one that is not so plain (though it was I who suggested a solitaire). However, I am having guilt since I always thought I would be too sentimental to be bit by the upgrade bug, plus I''ve only had the ring for a year and we''re still newlyweds. How long was it before you upgraded your original ring? Would changing my setting be considered an upgrade? Am I being too fickle? Arrgh.
40.gif

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
well, its all personal taste/comfort level, etc.....

I got my upgarde for my 10 yr anniversary. I''ve been jonsin" for one for about the last yr or two......so I justified the big anni for it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
11.gif
Ummmm 1 year after getting the ring, 2 months before the wedding.
12.gif
But I know I don''t hold the ''soonest'' record !!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had my 1 ct. original e-ring for 29 years. I am getting a new set for our 30th anniversary!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 5:10:36 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I have had my 1 ct. original e-ring for 29 years. I am getting a new set for our 30th anniversary!

You have earned it! Congrats!

I had my first ring for ten years, the second for 5 and I think I am done (according to dh I AM!)

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I waited 10 years to finally get a diamond e-ring from my husband and then once I got it, wanted to upgrade to a 2 carat.
I got the first diamond in March, got the upgraded diamond in August, so 5 months for me!!!

By the way, I found a nice J SI1 ACA that is 2.57 carats that I was swooning over yesterday. The price is great on it as well, because if I trade in my 2 carat G VS1, they would actually owe me some money.

But , unfortunately, I think I would notice the color too much with a J, esp. with that size. Too bad, though, nice, big beautiful stone.
2.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Diamondfan! Now if I could only decide what I want!!!!

Butterfly, you have a 2 ct. G VS1??? What could be better than that (in a rb)!!!?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve had 4 upgrades. The last one I got after we were married for 15 years, and was an upgrade from Tiff''s. Same ring just bigger and was a total surprise!! Hubby did good on that one!!!
31.gif
My first upgrade, I just added round side stones to my ering. Maybe that doesn''t count as an upgrade, not sure.

Dodger Gurl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the tip, butterfly.
35.gif
But I think I am too attached to my stone to upgrade it. I am realizing that I do love my stone and am starting to think that it is my setting that is starting to look "upgradeable" to me.
11.gif

And thanks everyone for your input, keep ''em coming! Did y''all ever watch Short Circuit? Input . . . need INput . . .
5.gif

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Six years. [blush] (before buying a new stone, that is) My original diamond was in a simple solitaire, and I "upgraded" the setting to my current Tacori about 5 months into the engagement. Fast-forward about 6 years when DH agreed to buying a much larger stone...which I had put into a Lockes-ish custom solitaire. Which ended up being not-so-durable....so 5 months later I decided to broach the subject of a setting upgrade, this time a Leon with pear sidestones. [blushing again] Yes, I am a shameless diamond hussy. Compared to the venerable ladies above, I didn''t wait too terribly long before doing things like changing settings and buying a new stone....but circumstances allowed for it and DH was very understanding.

I think if you''re attached to your stone but want a change, look into different setting options. Nothing wrong with taking your stone out of its current simple setting and spending a little bit more for something blingier.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the pear! (Sorry, had to.)
2.gif

I upgraded from a 0.73 ct I SI1 rb to a 1.5 ct D VS2 pear for my first wedding anniversary. I''m not sentimental at all, at least, not when it comes to diamonds whatsoever.
9.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
older lady here! (Buzzer noise)unnnnnnh!

get yourself into a house first, any and all debt paid, and 6 months salary in the bank.

sorry to be a party pooper - necessities before luxuries

Savings will put a smile on your face. Debt free will keep you smiling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also keeping my original stone for sentimental reasons. This all came about because I was wearing almost all wg/silver jewelry and the original set was YG. At first we talked about resetting, but my husband thought that was kind of sad because the wedding ring is custom made with little diamonds, engraved, etc. So I dropped the idea of resetting and he told me just to choose a whole new set for our anniversary! We have two girls and that way I can leave a set to each. One will hold more sentimental value and the other will be much finer quality. That was a great solution!

I am having trouble deciding what I want because he will NOT give me a price limit. Of course, I am pretty conservative about spending money so he isn''t too worried! Most people in my daily world have diamonds of 1 ct. or less. Most family members have 1-1.2 cts. Yet I come on here and 2 cts. is common! So I feel a conflict about what size to target! I ordered an almost 1.5 and thought it was a little big, yet I look at 1.3 and think it''s too little of an upgrade! Grrr!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2006 6:08:51 PM
Author: ladykemma

get yourself into a house first, any and all debt paid, and 6 months salary in the bank.

From one older lady to another...we agree! Our home and cars are paid off and we save to pay cash for the future new cars. I wouldn''t have thought about a significant jewelry purchase (and I have gotten some nice pieces over time but not any over $10,000!) unless we had the extra money to do it.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 6:15:35 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

Date: 5/31/2006 6:08:51 PM
Author: ladykemma

From one older lady to another...we agree! Our home and cars are paid off and we save to pay cash for the future new cars. I wouldn''t have thought about a significant jewelry purchase (and I have gotten some nice pieces over time but not any over $10,000!) unless we had the extra money to do it.
Agreed! homes and cars paid fer, retirement is building, cash in hand for pending new toyota truck, no credit card debt, cash only all the way!!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
While I would never upgrade my ring for sentimental reasons, I don''t see any problem with upgrading the setting, or adding pear sidestones
31.gif
Honestly, you should follow your heart where your ring is concerned. If you''re not happy with it the way it is (which is crazy because it''s beautiful and classy!), I think you should discuss it with your hubby. See what his take is on it. Another option would be getting a pear shaped gemstone ring to wear on your right hand. As you know, while I would never trade in my ring there''s nothing stopping me from adding to my collection!
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how long before your first upgrade?...

the PS record is ....she got an upgrade before she said... "yes i''ll marry you"
9.gif

the PS record from one upgrade to the next is....6 weeks.
28.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF you are forgetting Jen...didn''t she upgrade from one to the next within like 4 days??? i thought she held the record!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
K, that is an AUGMENTATION not an upgrade, in my book...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Mine was at year eleven of marriage - from a .46 G SI1 RB to a 1.53 H VS1 RB.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2006 7:57:44 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think you''re right...using the generic term "upgrade" is really confusing in my case! "Addition" is probably more accurate, since I think of something altogether different when I hear "augmentation"!
9.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/31/2006 7:50:12 PM
Author: Mara
DF you are forgetting Jen...didn''t she upgrade from one to the next within like 4 days??? i thought she held the record!
Mara
that''s who i was referring to
31.gif
i thought it was 5 or 6 weeks.
20.gif
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/31/2006 8:16:16 PM
Author: KristyDarling

Date: 5/31/2006 7:57:44 PM
Author: diamondfan
I think you''re right...using the generic term ''upgrade'' is really confusing in my case! ''Addition'' is probably more accurate, since I think of something altogether different when I hear ''augmentation''!
9.gif
Ok so then I''ve had 3, now I don''t feel so bad!!! Augmentation, now that''s what I really need, LOL!!
31.gif

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
I have to agree with Fire Goddess here, I''m not so sentimental when it comes to diamonds. My love is attached to my husband, not to a stone. We upgraded 3 months after we got married (from a ~.50 ct heart-shaped diamond to a 1.51 pear). I wore it as a RHR for quite awhile before I started wearing it as an ering. I did make a change to my original ering setting too by replacing the head with a higher head. That little change kind of upset my husband because he felt it took away from the sentimentality of it. Now he understands my love of diamonds and doesn''t feel hurt anymore. And then I received a 1.58 ct. square emerald cut for our 3rd anniversary, then traded it in 9 months later for a 1.08 cushion with halo.

YIKES, I am starting to think I have a problem!
6.gif
7.gif
23.gif

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I upgraded almost 2 years to the day after I got the e-ring. We've been married about 1.5 years now. Hubby is totally supportive (asked why I didn't go bigger!)

I went from a well cut 1 ct J I1 to and AGS0 1.20 ct G SI1.
It seems very, very beautiful to me and I have no desire to upgrade that (now
2.gif
)

Last time I saw my jeweler, I said, "OK I hope I don't see you for a while".
Her response was, "Oh, you'll be back".

eta: i think getting a new setting is a swell way to get a whole new look. I just could NOT decide, so I got a simple solitaire.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
one thing to consider. is rather than upgrading, pears are a dime a dozen in pawn shops right now, why don''t you go get a used right hand ring, in a fresh setting if it needs one?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
NEva.. have the perfect stone... don;t need an upgrade.
28.gif

Perhaps a colored stone may help your obsession for some unique bling?
31.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2006 8:17:45 PM
Author: MINE!!
NEva.. have the perfect stone... don;t need an upgrade.
28.gif

Perhaps a colored stone may help your obsession for some unique bling?
31.gif

my thoughts exactly!
face6.gif

movie zombie

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
How about a halo? My upgrading has been "enabled" by the exchange policy where I got my original solitaire and I wanted it that way. Would you get full credit for your solitaire? If so, how much beyond that credit does the dealer require you to spend? The reason I''m saying this is because it might cost less to change out the rock rather than the setting right now. Just my 2 cents. You have been bitten by the bug and that''s OK! Don''t go into debt to make this change-but you can do it with baby steps. Have fun!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
12 years. Buying a house came first and then "upgrading" to a larger house came next when the first baby was on his way. Then came the new minivan that we needed when the next two babies came along. Next came the college funds getting started.

Finally, the upgrade came when my DH got a large bonus at work and I returned to work part time. Maybe when all our babies are out of college we''ll upgrade to my 2 carat pear. For now I''m perfectly content to wear my ring while I watch our babies grow up.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results