shape
carat
color
clarity

How large can an "illusion" setting head be expanded to?

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Another strange question....

I've been told that this setting can take up to a 7mm diameter stone, but that would be the upper limit.

Of course I've been looking at some stones in the 7.25-7.30mm range.

Do you think this setting can handle a stone of that diameter?

The piece of glass in it now is 6.98mm...

PS - Please forgive the cell phone pic, the CZ and the ugly man-hand!

GG ring.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Honestly? It sort of depends on how good your bench is. I know a guy who I'd trust to rebuild my prongs by cutting them back a little and retipping the points ... but he contracts with HW and Cartier. So unless you have someone like that in close proximity (or unless the setting has no sentimental value and you can afford to play around a little), I think I'd try to stick to the 7mm mark if possible ....

seedslinger

Rough_Rock
Circe|1317141148|3026917 said:
Honestly? It sort of depends on how good your bench is. I know a guy who I'd trust to rebuild my prongs by cutting them back a little and retipping the points ... but he contracts with HW and Cartier. So unless you have someone like that in close proximity (or unless the setting has no sentimental value and you can afford to play around a little), I think I'd try to stick to the 7mm mark if possible ....

My options for a bench are David Clay in San Francisco or Fourtane in Carmel. From what I understand, they are pretty good benches.

I have to have 2 prongs redone anyway, so maybe that would make the project easier....problem is, there is some sentimental value with the setting....its was my Great-Grandmother's and I dont want to ruin it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results