shape
carat
color
clarity

How large are clouds in VS1?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noy

Rough_Rock
All things equal (same size, color, and clarity at LEAST a VS1 or better), if Diamond #1 had a cloud in its table, whereas diamond 2 had one in the pavillion, is #2 the better diamond? (from the naked eye perspective)

I''m trying to distinguish whether VS1 Princess cuts with inclusions in the table will be "less eye-clean" than ones elsewhere/viewed from the pavillion, short of ordering multiple diamonds off the internet simultaneously and returning the bad ones (not enough $$$/credit for that!)
9.gif

Thanks!

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I wouldn't think a VS1 stone would have any eye visible incusions. A cloud that my be deeperin the stone may also reflect. Have to see them side by side to judge. Are the reports GIA or AGS? Cindy

Architect

Rough_Rock
Noy,
If you are considering two diamonds that are similiar and VS1 in clarity, there really is no way to distuinguish between them with your eye. A diamond with VS1 clarity means that all inclusions are too small to be seen with the naked eye, and are also very difficult to spot under with a 10x loupe. Incusions in a VS1 clarity diamond are extremely small, that is why the diamond was graded a VS1. The placement of incusions can affect a diamond slightly, but rarely in one with a clarity as high as VS1 due to the size of the inclusions. The diamond I bought for my finace's ring was a VS1 and it was almost impossible to spot the inclusions with a loupe. The type of inclusion can make a difference as to how hard it is to spot, but with a VS1 you really don't have to worry about it.

Noy

Rough_Rock
I had also thought that a VS1's inclusions would have no visibility to the naked eye, but I wondered whether that remained true for its effect on brilliance. I've spoken to some GIA GG's a local b&m stores and several have told me that you may be able to see the clouds on the table of princess cuts, specifically due to the nature of the cut (??)
confused.gif

Not sure if they just wanted to sell me their own VVSs or what...
tongue.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The definition of the VS grade is that you cannot see the inclusions in a stone without a 10x loupe at least....regardless of the cut of the stone. The clarity grading scale is for all diamonds across the board. If you could see an inclusion with a naked eye, it would be an SI1/2/3. Some people with hawk eyes could probably find an inclusion in a VS2...and a GG could MAYBE find the inclusion in a VS1 with their naked eye. But the average person cannot find an inclusion in a VS1..by definition that would not be a VS1--it would be at least a VS2 maybe SI borderline.

Wouldn't worry, regardless of what some jewelers are telling you. Clouds in VS stones are TINY. I am training my eyes to recognize inclusions in stones and we got my new diamond earrings yesterday. I was proud to find a small small inclusion off to the right of the table in one of them and a speck of black carbon in the other. These are VS earrings. You can't see anything with the naked eye, it was only after staring at them with the loupe for 10 minutes that I found the inclusions.

However if you are torn between the two stones and need a final decision marker...this could be it. Some people say they prefer the inclusion in the table or near it...the sparkle will most of the time hide it. But others say pavilion is better. It's really a preference thing.

optimized

Shiny_Rock
Hi Mara,

Far be it from me to disagree with my little sis with her new training materials (not ready to let that one go yet
1.gif
), but my understanding is that the human eye would be unable to pick out an inclusion in a VS1 stone without magnification, no matter how experienced the grader is. In fact, I believe VS2s should be the same as well (without magnification). The diamond I got for my sweetie is a VS1 (cloud, needles under the table), and it took a while for me to find any inclusions with a loupe, and even then I could only spot the needles. As far as I know, the cloud could just as easily be the figment of some GIA grader's imagination as I've still yet to actually see it with the loupe (nor during a cursory inspection with a jeweler's microscope, for that matter). VS1 diamonds are very clean, indeed. In other words, I agree with the consensus here that a cloud in a VS1 stone will be "invisible" to the naked eye regardless of who is looking at it or where it's located, so other factors should determine which stone to purchase.

Then again, maybe I'm just blind...
1.gif

-Tim

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ha Ha I feel like a kid with a bike and training wheels!
2.gif

I just modified my post as I realized in the first sentence I said 'cannot see the stones without a 10x loupe'...when I meant you can't see the inclusions in a VS1 stone without a 10x loupe.

I agree with you for the most part, Tim...maybe I was confusing originally, but I think that around 99% of the general population could not see inclusions in a VS1 with a naked eye. However, there could be some GG's whose eyes are so practiced that they could spot something in a VS1 stone. Or maybe I'm completely off my rocker!
2.gif

I guess the point for our original poster is...no you can't see anything in a VS1 unless you are Superman. You are fine. Buy your stone. Love it.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
VS 1 should be 100% eye clean, even to a trained eye. However, a few month ago, I saw a F VVS 2 emerald cut that had two pinpints in the middle of the table... I don't know how, but I saw them with the naked eye!!! It was a GIA cert.
Usually clouds in VS 1 stones are very faint and very difficult to find under 10x magnification.

Hope that helps

Giangi
1.gif

Noy

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I suspected I should trust my instincts (VS inclusions are basically unseen to 99% of the human population without a 10x).

I think I'm close to finding the right rock!!
appl.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results