shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this diamond / setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bmlmo

Rough_Rock
The setting is one my gf picked out at a local jewelry store and really wants. I was able to find the setting and wedding band on http://www.diamondsvip.com/item.asp?itemid=88 The matching wedding band is on that same site pictured below. She wants 2 bands to have one on each side of the ring. While I may still purchase the rings localy, I don't feel they are being very competetive for a diamond. Im still in college so I can't afford a lot but I want to make sure I get the most for my money. I am looking at this diamond http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?b=16&a=12&c=77&cid=131&item=945311 The HCA score for this diamond is 1.2 and from research I have done, it looks like a decent buy for $2720 If I buy this diamond online and the setting localy, the local store should still set the stone for me right? Also, the setting is made by Gabriel & Co. Jewelry. Does it look alright? I know there might better companies but this is the ring she hasn't stopped talking about for the last 3 months! I appreciate any advice!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
The stone you linked looks nice, beautiful cut parameters. I would ask Jim schultz if it''s eye-clean before purchase. If you want to go a little bigger or save some $$, you could go lower in color to an I and still have a diamond that is quite white in appearance.

As far as the setting goes, you would have to ask the jeweler if he would set it. Sometimes local B&M''s will set your stone and sometimes they won''t.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond looks great, as long as it''s eyeclean. As k said, you could get a bit bigger if you went down in color a little, but if an E is what you''re looking for, you may well have found it!

And if that setting is all your girl has talked about for 3 months, I''d think that''s the one to get.
2.gif

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

After looking at the diamond under the 22x image viewer. I would pass. I am no expert, but any means, but I see a feather, possible black carbon, it is chipped or poorly cut on the crown. Spend a few hundred dollars more and get a better cut, it will be worth it. Also, the arrows do not line up very well and are not very well defined.

Just my opinion and I could be wrong,
MWG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 9:08:56 AM
Author: MWG
Hi,

After looking at the diamond under the 22x image viewer. I would pass. I am no expert, but any means, but I see a feather, possible black carbon, it is chipped or poorly cut on the crown. Spend a few hundred dollars more and get a better cut, it will be worth it. Also, the arrows do not line up very well and are not very well defined.

MWG
I''m no expert either, but it''s an AGS000, which means it got the highest grade there is in Light Performance, Proportion, Polish and Symmetry. It doesn''t get any better than that.
2.gif

Granted, it''s definitely got some inclusions, but it''s not poorly cut, nor chipped. That''s why the vendor needs to have a look.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 9:08:56 AM
Hi,

MWG
With respect, this diamond has an excellent cut and great proportions, also with those magnified pics you can''t really assess inclusions with any accuracy, or with the arrows etc - also the Idealscope looks fine.

Also as Ellen says this diamond has the AGS000 grade, so it has a very fine cut, regarding the inclusions also as Ellen suggests, get Jim to pull the diamond and talk you through it, he will be honest about the inclusions and it''s suitability for your purposes.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
I see a crown facet line that is not even close to being straight at the top of the diamond, am I just seeing things? Use the magnified image (22x).

Or basically, put it this way, I would not buy it, but of course I not buying......LOL

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
With respect, diamonds should sell themselves, no one should have to talk you through it, to buy it.

When you see it, you know it is the right one and it is "confirmed" when the price is right!!!

Just my 2 cents and you know how much 2 cents will buy you.......LOL

MWG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 12:21:51 PM
With respect, diamonds should sell themselves, no one should have to talk you through it, to buy it.

When you see you know it is the right one and it is 'confirmed' when the price is right!!!

MWG
By saying Jim could talk the OP through the diamond, I meant Jim as an expert and vendor could point out the nature of the inclusions and their location, visibility, colour of them etc etc, how well the diamond faces up, body colour or lack of, for the diamond in general, NOT to talk the client into buying it, but to describe the diamond accurately as good vendors should do. I think you misunderstood my meaning.

This is in fact standard practice of diamond vendors to do this and one of the advantages of buying an in house diamond compared to a virtual listing. If a vendor is unwilling to do this, I would recommend finding another vendor.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock

When you see you know it is the right one and it is ''confirmed'' when the price is right!!!

MWG

That''s kind of hard when you are purchasing online. I would want the opinion of the vendor as well (as long as they were reputable).

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 12:24:45 PM
Author: ImpatientOne

When you see you know it is the right one and it is 'confirmed' when the price is right!!!

MWG

That's kind of hard when you are purchasing online. I would want the opinion of the vendor as well (as long as they were reputable).

I don't agree that having someone to 'talk you through it' is wrong. Some people don't have the experience or the knowledge to buy an excellent diamond. The majority of diamonds look fabulous in the store - it doesn't mean that it will be as beautiful once you get it outside or in your house or office.......

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Lorelei,

Am I seeing things when I look at this diamond. Are you facet lines at the top of the diamond not straight. It''s like they were cutting it and pulled the blade away and then decided, "What the heck, some college kid will buy it!!"

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 12:58:48 PM
Lorelei,

Am I seeing things when I look at this diamond. Are you facet lines at the top of the diamond not straight. It's like they were cutting it and pulled the blade away and then decided, 'What the heck, some college kid will buy it!!'

MWG,
I do see what you are talking about . . . I wonder if it is an artifact of the picture . . . it is so hard to be able to tell anything from the pictures alone.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ellen,

Looking at Whiteflash pictures of diamonds, I am not seeing these bad lines. Should James Allen get a new camera? Or are do these diamonds have bad lines?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 1:20:17 PM
Hi Ellen,

Looking at Whiteflash pictures of diamonds, I am not seeing these bad lines. Should James Allen get a new camera? Or are do these diamonds have bad lines?
I''m not going to guess on whether it''s the camera, the lighting, both or neither.

But again, it''s not "bad lines". This is an AGS000, do you understand what that means? I''m asking sincerely.

And, Jim doesn''t seem to have any problems selling diamonds.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2007 12:58:48 PM
Lorelei,

Am I seeing things when I look at this diamond. Are you facet lines at the top of the diamond not straight. It's like they were cutting it and pulled the blade away and then decided, 'What the heck, some college kid will buy it!!'
I see what you mean on the diamond, I think it is possible it is the set up with the way Jim does his pictures of the diamonds as I have seen this type of effect before, but I could be wrong. As this diamond is an AGS000, it will be cut to very high standards and the facet lines will be exact
1.gif

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ellen,

Yes, I know what AGS000 stands for, but this picture of this particular diamond does not represent AGS000 quality. I just listened to James Allen interview and they do drop shipping, so maybe it is not even his picture, but his supplier. Who knows!!!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results