shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this diamond setting possible?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alicat

Rough_Rock
Wow! I found this setting and am mesmerized by it. Does anyone know how the diamond is held in place? It not exactly my taste but i LOVE the way the entire diamond is able to be seen, it really shows off the diamond well. It seems like the diamond could easily fall out though. what do you think?

weird ring.jpg

Tali

Rough_Rock
This is a not-too-uncommon setting called a "tension setting." Search for that phrase and you'll get all kinds of info. Gelin-Abaci is one manufacturer of this type of ring.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 6/23/2003 7:38:38 PM alicat wrote:

Wow! I found this setting and am mesmerized by it. Does anyone know how the diamond is held in place? It not exactly my taste but i LOVE the way the entire diamond is able to be seen, it really shows off the diamond well. It seems like the diamond could easily fall out though. what do you think?

----------------
Alicat:

As far as the diamond falling out: Tension mountings can actually cover more of the girdle than other types of settings, thus resulting in a little better protection than some prong settings.The precious metals are especially hardened by what is referred to as 'work-hardening'. This work hardening is accomplished by pressure or by thermal treatment. This special treatment to the precious metal results in the precious metal having a certain springiness which will grip the diamond without the necessity of a bezel or claws. The diamond is basically (PRESSURE SET) pressed by the girdle on each side by the ends of the ring. Each metal end has a small groove called the 'seat' into which a small section of the girdle fits. These settings are very secure.

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Adrienne

Shiny_Rock
Hey - that's the Gelin-Abaci TR145.... it's what I will be ordering for my wedding ring.

Gelin-Abaci is very well known for their quality products - check out MickeyRoof.com for more info - they have the whole line (or almost the entire line) on their website, as well as the recommended center stone sizes for each setting, and the requirements of the quality of stone.

1.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On 6/23/2003 7:38:38 PM alicat wrote:

"Wow! I found this setting and am mesmerized by it. Does anyone know how the diamond is held in place? It not exactly my taste but i LOVE the way the entire diamond is able to be seen, it really shows off the diamond well. It seems like the diamond could easily fall out though. what do you think?"

I love the open look of a tension setting, but find that the rings with tension settings are usually quite heavy looking. (The *metal* used is heavy!) I prefer a lighter look.

What I use to draw attention to my stone is a band so thin that one doesn't see it from a distance and small, tapering prongs to cover little of the diamond's face.

I have been posting pictures of my solitaire elsewhere on Pricescope but have been unable to get a photo onto RockyTalky. I will try again!

read.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ma bague! La voila!!

invisible%20solitaire.jpeg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Also, you can't set just any diamond in a tension setting. The set maker will have to examine your diamond and determine if it is an appropriate candidate.

Most folks that consider tension sets choose the setting first and have the diamond shipped to the set maker for review during the return/refund period. If the setter finds the diamond won't work, they have to continue their diamond search or look for a different style setting.

Check out this PS post. Nick purchased his diamond first and was considering tension set. He decided to go with a custom design instead. Not sure if the diamond wouldn't work in tension set or not.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-my-whiteflash-diamond-on-a-custom-setting.7185/

1.gif

Paul Varjak

Rough_Rock
I wonder why this is called a tension setting. The diamond is held in place by compression, not tension. It should really be called a compression setting...

damo

Rough_Rock
The diamond is putting the shank under tension.

slmulkey

Shiny_Rock
The requirements for diamonds that will be tension set is not that restrictive. When I emailed the guy from Gelin and Abaci, he told me that the diamond just had to be SI or better with no inclusions that break the surface of the stone. I went with a VS stone just to be safe. I think that the setting is very secure...I've had mine for 6 months now with no problems. One thing to be aware of is that there are size restrictions for different tension settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results