shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this an AGS 000?

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
F6400F60-17E2-4484-BD36-073BF146EE0B.jpeg
Wouldn’t this be considered a steep deep? Isn’t AGS stricter on their cuts so would this perform well?

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Is there an ASET picture?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
By the grey bars, I’m thinking platinum. Which means a computer generated ASET should be on the report.

This is one of those weird AGS000’s which scores poorly on HCA (it’s a 3). Obviously there is sufficient light being reflected back when the ray tracing is done.

OP, could we know what the AGS report number is?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Grey bars: Agreed. AGSL extends the option to suppress the ASET imprint, but I'm also interested in seeing it if it's there.

By the AGS cut guidelines the averages are on a ledge where performance can meet requirements for 0 or fall quickly away, depending on cut-particulars. For the record, the 57T guides just fall to 1 rather than 2 @ 41.2/35.0
ps-58-411-350-agscg.jpg

I'm actually inclined to agree with HCA after seeing diamonds with these basic numbers IRL. The DC simulation would also seem to lean that way.

ps-dc-58-411-350-aset-sim.jpg

This is one of those weird AGS000’s which scores poorly on HCA (it’s a 3). Obviously there is sufficient light being reflected back when the ray tracing is done.
Sufficient. Perfect word. As-in, the number of jalapenos my favorite Mexican restaurant puts in their burritos is sufficient for most customers. However...

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sufficient. Perfect word. As-in, the number of jalapenos my favorite Mexican restaurant puts in their burritos is sufficient for most customers. However...

I know the feeling. Jalapeno’s?!?! What travesty is that: habanero’s all the way baby!!!

I’m like that with chilli in curries or wasabi with cheap, nasty sushi.

As for DC, man I love that program. I’d love to get a copy for myself!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
The crown is a bit high for the pavilion for an ideal light performance, but I'd not consider it a typical steep/deep diamond at the depth of 61.8.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I know the feeling. Jalapeno’s?!?! What travesty is that: habanero’s all the way baby!!!

I’m like that with chilli in curries or wasabi with cheap, nasty sushi.

As for DC, man I love that program. I’d love to get a copy for myself!

I like em both for their different flavors depending on the dish. Habaneros for the more sunny exotic flavor and extra heat, and Jalapenos for the clean green peppery flavors. I always order extras on the side!

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at the DC predicted ASET, it’s not that bad. Overall depth is ok, just the angle combo is a bit out. At least under the table we see green rather than white.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
A0220DB4-72C7-419E-B2CC-4116E2005369.jpeg
Here’s the Cert for it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am not a fan of these fringe ags0, scanner error/accuracy means they could be anything from an ags0 to ags2.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
  1. AGS 0 is not as strict as people think
  2. AGS 0 is still stircter than GIA X
  3. This AGS 0 is not an error or mistake IMHO. It happens too often.

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Still, I’d rather an AGS 000 stone over a GIA XXX generally speaking.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
So in other words, AGS 000 isn’t always safe, and we shouldn’t consider a stone like this?

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Still, I’d rather an AGS 000 stone over a GIA XXX generally speaking.
BUT let's not forget that there are plenty better GIAXXX than this particular AGS000

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So in other words, AGS 000 isn’t always safe, and we shouldn’t consider a stone like this?
If your looking for high end diamond this isn't one of them.
That's not to say it can't be a pretty diamond.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
We were just initially attracted to the price but now we realize the price was for the cut and the fact it’s an SI2.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
We were just initially attracted to the price but now we realize the price was for the cut and the fact it’s an SI2.

Before you regret, do you like the performance of the diamond in person? I've seen some diamonds similar to this proportions offered by Tiffany's and they can be very lovely stones. It all depends on taste, but not everyone prefer super-ideal cut H&A diamonds over something like this. Go to a local Hearts On Fire store and compare the stone, and you may be surprised to find what you actually prefer. Judge by your eyes, not by the stats & paper.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
Trying to keep it under 24,000. Around 2.25 f color or better. Not too worried about the clarity (although higher is always better) or flourescense as long as it’s eye clean, structurally sound, and not hazy. Cut is very important, but we probably can’t do super ideal with our price range. We understand that’s a tight budget for what we’re looking for, but we are just trying to see what’s out there. Also not in a hurry. We are looking at March.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will take a look at other options.
In general, I would not consider a stone with these proportions. However, it changes when you go over the 2.0 carat mark. There are not many options, especially with a limited budget.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
I like em both for their different flavors depending on the dish. Habaneros for the more sunny exotic flavor and extra heat, and Jalapenos for the clean green peppery flavors. I always order extras on the side![/QUOT
Jalapeños are good but in a dish I prefer Serrano’s they have a cleaner flavor to add

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
BUT let's not forget that there are plenty better GIAXXX than this particular AGS000

Exactly. Which is why the saying "Buy the diamond, not the certificate" always takes precedence.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took a look. There is nothing that I can confidently recommend to anyone. I say keep shopping.

Regarding the cert you posted, I found the listing. I would consider the stone at that price (significanly less than 20k) only if the stone is completely eye clean. But this is highly unlikely.

Igotarock

Rough_Rock
I took a look. There is nothing that I can confidently recommend to anyone. I say keep shopping.

Regarding the cert you posted, I found the listing. I would consider the stone at that price (significanly less than 20k) only if the stone is completely eye clean. But this is highly unlikely.
Ok thank you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have seen a very very beautiful AGS 000 and the hca was 3. A super ideal was not an option but we chose it over a Gia 3x. We choose it viewing it irl. So for me I have learned that I would give an AGS 000 a chance. I would be willing to examine it irl. My 2c.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Generally speaking, I think we'd all prefer to have an AGS000 over a GIA XXX. Just as we'd prefer to have a super ideal over an AGS000. However, IMO, it's a mistake to be that short sighted. You have to analyze the proportions and advanced imagery (ASET, idealscope, H&A) to fully understand the quality of the stone you are purchasing.

Additionally, as you are learning, diamonds are a zero sum game. What this means is that when there is a fixed budget (or cost) then you have to adjust your other C's up or down so that everything balances out.

While my socks weren't blown off by the proportions of the particular stone you asked about, I didn't see anything better in a quick virtual inventory search. Looking at WF, it appears about $26-27k would get you into a super ideal that is eye clean and G+ color. This isn't too far away, but I'm not sure if your budget is firm or not.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/compare.aspx?idnos=3979464,4018650,3999632,4059369

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As others have said, I think you're either going to need to adjust your budget or adjust your size expectations if you want to get a decent stone in the F+ color range. 2.25+ carats and F+ color is going to be very difficult at $24k in anything remotely well cut. You said that you're not too worried about clarity, but you want it to be eye-clean and not hazy. Well, I hate to break it to you, but finding a truly eye-clean SI clarity diamond is a tall order in a 2+ carat stone.

Out of the SI1s posted by @sledge, I would say the 2.16 F/SI1 is probably the most likely to be reasonably eye-clean judging by the videos, as all of the noticeable inclusions are white crystals:
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4059369.htm

The other 2 SI1s have some black carbon specks. In general, white crystals are usually hidden fairly well by the brilliance of an MRB, but black carbon is much more noticeable. The G/VS2 is also nice, but it's smaller than the SI1s.

I'm not having any luck on the open market either finding a well cut, truly eye-clean stone at 2.25+ carats and F+ color that is anywhere close to $24K. This is the closest I could find. It's a G/VS1 2.12 carat at $25.5k bank wire price:
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2.12-ct-G-VS1-Excellent-Cut-Round-Diamond/D42622924?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Additionally, as you are learning, diamonds are a zero sum game. What this means is that when there is a fixed budget (or cost) then you have to adjust your other C's up or down so that everything balances out.

Exactly this. Diamonds are a zero sum game. Obviously, if cost weren't an issue whatsoever, most people would be choosing D/IF-VVS perfectly cut diamonds. In today's society, most of the general public wants an eye-clean stone that is as close to colorless as possible. Since high clarity and colorlessness is desirable, diamonds with these traits will demand a premium. Often, if people want to maximize the size of the stone for their budget, they'll make compromises in either the colorlessness or eye-cleanliness of the diamond to achieve that. There's nothing wrong with that, but you need to understand where you're willing to compromise to achieve that goal. If you want 2.25+ carats at $24k, then it is certainly possible to achieve that. But you're going to have to make compromises in either the cut, color, or clarity to get there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results