shape
carat
color
clarity

How is this 2.6? Please help, esp. Mara!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 10:58:56 AM
Author: 3hearts
yaayyy!!! you got the stone!!! its gonna look amazing in that setting. for me picking the setting is the hardest part, cuz I change my mind by the minute. can''t wait to see pictures.

WF is going to bezel set my stone, similar to Etienne Perret (sp?) my husband is disappointed that I''m not going with the 4 or 6 prong setting, he thinks bezeling will not show the stone as much, but prongs just don''t fit my lifestyle - i''m hard on my hands.
A bezel would be great for hiding some of the color from the side. It probably won''t even look like a K. Can''t wait to see yours - when are you getting it?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe 3 hearts, i''m a little sad that is going in a bezel too...i wanna see the stone!! but i''m sure it will be beautiful regardless!!

teagreen, well the setting IS piecemealed, you can stress to WF that you want it to look as integrated as possible, but for what it sounds like you are paying...this is the cheapest route to go with a basic setting....the head should look very good as i love mine. but it''s pretty basic! it may turn out better than you are expecting. and this way you don''t feel bad if in a year or two you want a more elaborate setting or something like that.

honestly with a stone that size and doing a solitaire, there is only one setting i would be considering. okay well two. one is the ritani solitaire and the 2nd is the vatche royal crown. i''d probably do royal crown. precious jewels setting and stone just are my ultimate. but it''s not as affordable as what you are doing in the least!!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 12:44:09 PM
Author: Mara

teagreen, well the setting IS piecemealed, you can stress to WF that you want it to look as integrated as possible, but for what it sounds like you are paying...this is the cheapest route to go with a basic setting....the head should look very good as i love mine. but it''s pretty basic! it may turn out better than you are expecting. and this way you don''t feel bad if in a year or two you want a more elaborate setting or something like that.

honestly with a stone that size and doing a solitaire, there is only one setting i would be considering. okay well two. one is the ritani solitaire and the 2nd is the vatche royal crown. i''d probably do royal crown. precious jewels setting and stone just are my ultimate. but it''s not as affordable as what you are doing in the least!!
I''m glad you love your head. I''m sure it looks even better in real life.

I know a designer setting would cost a lot more, but with platinum prices what they are, I don''t consider it "cheap," so I would feel bad changing it anytime soon! Eh, that''s just my personality though.

So do you actually prefer the royal crown where there is more space between the pavilion and the prongs - the "floating" stone look in the cupped prong head, rather than the prongs aligned with the pavilion? I actually prefer the prongs to be as close as possible to the pavilion, like the real Tiffany setting, but I know it can''t be that close in mine becuase the head isn''t custom made.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my prongs are pretty close to the pavilion, if i recall correctly they got a stuller head that was like one or two sizes smaller than they would typically get and this ensures that the stone sits deeper into the setting. it''s like when i kept squeezing larger stones into my original 1.20c setting. the stone fills more of the setting which i prefer since then the stone tends to sit lower.

the royal crown i just plain flat out LOVE. it''s not about the stone in the setting or anything specific, i just love that whole setting. period. hehe.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
teagreen, I''m so happy for you! This is what pricescope is all about. I can''t wait to see the finished product!

So are you already engaged or married? I lost track.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 1:09:31 PM
Author: wallermama
teagreen, I''m so happy for you! This is what pricescope is all about. I can''t wait to see the finished product!

So are you already engaged or married? I lost track.
Thanks! I''ve been engaged for 7 mo.s but won''t be married for another year. I know it''s nuts to change my ring before we even get married, but I''m happy that there are kindred spirits here on PS!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Funny story: my mom knows 2 people in the business; one who is her own client and she has never purchased from him; one who she has purchased smaller items from. Both are very suspicious about the integrity of purchasing on the internet.

One is older and convinced that I am going to get either a completely synthetic diamond that can''t be detected, or a clarity-enhanced diamond that also can''t be detected. The other doesn''t believe that not all online companies drop ship and doesn''t think it could possibly be a better deal than what he has to offer, though his prices are pretty good. He''s the one with the 2.6 I originally posted about, so when I get the WF one, I may be able to compare them side by side if he still has that one. He doesn''t think the crown angles I was concerned about would make a difference, but we''ll see.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
OK, so I finally got pictures of the head. It looks VERY different from Mara''s, and I''m not sure if that''s because the stone hasn''t actually been set into the head yet. Mara, did you get interim pics of your head before the completed one, and if so, did they look like this?

I emailed them with my specifications and reemphasized the pictures of Mara''s head. I don''t see how mine could be considered to resemble Mara''s at all. I guess it''s possible that the head is on it''s way to looking like Mara''s, but then I don''t know why this image, before it''s ready for the stone to be set in it, would be sent to me since it looks completely different. Hopefully I will hear back soon.

wfhead1.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
teagreen,

I think the head will look more spready once the stone is actually set. You emailed WF which is good, but i wouldn''t be too concerned about it. They did the head of Mara''s ring so they should be able to do the same thing to your''s without any problems.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, that stone is just propped on top there. It''ll be set down some and look a lot different then. I can''t really tell if they have trimmed the prongs yet. It doesn''t look like it, but Mara can tell you better when she sees this.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was wondering how your project was going teagreen!! hopefully the ring will be done soon!

my head which we saw when we got to texas...was still pretty stiff looking. i thought oh it's really not how i want. but john told me they'd shave down the prongs more, they'd settle the diamond into the head, they still have to curve the prongs over the top, trim them down etc. it looks like that head has been modified from the basic stuller head already so there seems to be work done to it.

i'd just re-emphasize you want the prongs thinned out, tips very tiny, you want those V's as tiny as possible (it looks like they did trim those down a bit) and you want the prongs thinner. more of a 'squatty, spready' look. but yeah when i saw the head with the diamond i was like ummm that doesn't look right. however the next day when it was done, it looked perfect!

so there is still work to be done in finishing, i'd just re-confirm the details with them, and remember they will send you pictures of the finished product before shipping so you still have one more chance to make changes if that does not look right to you.

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the responses! WF has confirmed that the head will llook like Mara''s when it''s done...hopefully soon!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
OMG I am getting the ring tomorrow and I cannot wait!!! eeeeeek!
Here are pictures! Unfortunately WF did not take one of a straight-on side view, and they had to ship it out by a certain time, so I don''t know what that looks like. Brian said he thinned out the head/prongs and shank as much as possible though.

2.575.JPG

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
second pic

2.575(2).JPG

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sure looks pretty to me.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOD GIRL!!!!!!!!

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!! AND HUGE! what size is your finger ?!?!?!? that ring looks tiny!!!!!!!

GOSH I am so excited for you (and us!!)....tomorrow...woo hoo!!!!! get the camera ready!

the head looks FAB esp from those slanted side views, the prong tips definitely look like mine does...those small clawish prongs...just like mine! YUM!!!!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/13/2006 8:41:36 PM
OH MY GOD GIRL!!!!!!!!

IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!! AND HUGE! what size is your finger ?!?!?!? that ring looks tiny!!!!!!!

GOSH I am so excited for you (and us!!)....tomorrow...woo hoo!!!!! get the camera ready!

the head looks FAB esp from those slanted side views, the prong tips definitely look like mine does...those small clawish prongs...just like mine! amazing!!! YUM!!!!
I KNOW, I am SO EXCITED!!! I can''t wait!!! aaaaah!!!!

I"m so glad the prong tips look like yours; I"ll have to wait until tomorrow to see what the rest of the prongs look like!

My finger is 4.25.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.gif
23.gif
30.gif
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY for tomorrow. IT looks fabulous in the WF pics and HUGE. I cannot wait for hand and real life shots..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! How beautiful! I''ll be watching Show Me The Ring tomorrow!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
well?!?!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 12:59:24 PM
well?!?!
Haha, you just can''t wait, can you? Well, neither could I. I JUST picked it up - WF shipped to the wrong FedEx so I drove cross town, skipping work for an hour, oops. Unfortunately I can''t spend hours and hours scrutinizing it right now, but so far, it looks fabulous!!! The stone looks so white from the top (I never really believed people when they said that about Js); some color from the side, but I don''t mind.

The head turned out beautifully! Prongs very tapered and graceful; prong tips nice and tiny. It doesn''t look too much like the head was just plunked on; I suppose it''s as integrated looking as 2 pieces can be made to look. Oh, and the stone looks BIG!!! Actually, it looks huge to me. I hope DSS doesn''t set in!

Unfortunately no pictures until around 6pm western or so...I have to pretend to work all day!!!

Thank you for all your advice!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yay teagreen..so glad it made it safe and sound. can''t wait until later tonight..

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY teagreen I can''t wait for pics later tonight!!!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 1:09:00 PM
Author: teagreen

Unfortunately no pictures until around 6pm western or so...I have to pretend to work all day!!!

Oooh it''s gonna be torture
9.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooh, I can''t wait to see...it looks huge (and beautiful!)!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ummmm girlfriend it''s 6:45?!?!?! where''s them shots?!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/14/2006 9:46:12 PM
ummmm girlfriend it''s 6:45?!?!?! where''s them shots?!
I''m a''workin'' on it! Don''t get your hopes up though bc my camera AND my skills are horrible...
Give me 2 min''s!

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I need help again!!!

I went and compared the original 2.60 with the 2.575 from WF, and the 2.60 (I color) is noticeably whiter, especially from the side, but also from the top.
Also, I had noticed that the center of my stone often looks "dark" because the arrows are pretty wide. The arrows of the 2.6 are very narrow, so it looks less dark in the center.
Regarding the cut, and the initial hesitation about the 35.5 crown angle, I really couldn''t see a difference in cut quality - they are equally sparkly, and the 2.60 maybe even brighter because of the narrower arrows.

What do you think? Should I return the WF one?

leeenie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2006 12:44:09 PM

I just read over this, about the cost of my setting, and saw elsewhere that you said the royal crown is $1100...mine cost 1350, so it wasn''t a cheaper option at all! You must have gotten a much lower price just for your head?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results