shape
carat
color
clarity

How important - Symmetry and Polish with Ideal Cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esp102

Rough_Rock

Hello,

How important is the Symmetry and Polish of a diamond come into play when the diamond is an ideal cut diamond. Does it still sparkle as much as an Ideal or Excellent grade?

Lets say the diamond is: AGS - Excellent and Very Good vs GIA - Very Good in both Sym and Pol.

Would it make any different in the sparkle of the diamond if it''s cut to ideal standards?

My thinking is that most people have a set budget for a diamond.

If I could get more diamond size and drop down in symmetry and Polish and be in my budget - everybody is happy, since most people look at the size and sparkle of the diamond.

However, if Very Good Symmetry and Polish will effect the diamonds look - I would rather go with the Ideal range.

I know the AGA-A1 and A2 cuts fall in the Excellent and Very good range to be an A1 or A2 and states: Not a primary determining factor.

Thanks!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i hope you are not confusing the polish/symmetry grade with the overall cut grade. to get good performance (sparkle) from a diamond, you need to make sure it is well cut as determined by several things including, the relationship of the crown/pavilion angles, minor facet configuration and even optical symmetry. the polish/symmetry is one of those fine details. no, your eyes may not notice the difference between ideal polish/symmetry and excellent, but it is an indication of the craftmanship. a well cut diamond will have these details attended to.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There may be some less than "excellent" polish and symmetry diamonds within the top category of Ideal, but when a cutter is really into the process of making "the best", then symmetry and polish fall right into place near the top quality possible. It makes economic sense to make the little things as well as the big things all come together for top grade stones.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
esp102,

For AGS Lab to issue a cut grade of ''ideal'', both the symmetry and polish must also be graded ''ideal''. Other labs have differing rules on this.

GIA Gem Trade Lab doesn''t use the term ideal. Their top grade of ''excellent'' is available for stones with either ''excellent'' or ''very good'' polish and symmetry as long as the get sufficient grades on the other paramteters.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/13/2006 10:34:23 AM
Author:esp102

Hello,

How important is the Symmetry and Polish of a diamond come into play when the diamond is an ideal cut diamond. Does it still sparkle as much as an Ideal or Excellent grade?

Lets say the diamond is: AGS - Excellent and Very Good vs GIA - Very Good in both Sym and Pol.

Would it make any different in the sparkle of the diamond if it''s cut to ideal standards?

My thinking is that most people have a set budget for a diamond.

If I could get more diamond size and drop down in symmetry and Polish and be in my budget - everybody is happy, since most people look at the size and sparkle of the diamond.

However, if Very Good Symmetry and Polish will effect the diamonds look - I would rather go with the Ideal range.

I know the AGA-A1 and A2 cuts fall in the Excellent and Very good range to be an A1 or A2 and states: Not a primary determining factor.

Thanks!

Symmetry and Polish are minor factors for purposes of sparkle or performance. You will not be able to tell the difference between a diamond graded AGS-0 and a diamond graded AGS-1 solely because of "Excellent" rather than "Ideal" Polish and/or Symmetry. Even when Light Performance is graded "Excellent" (or AGS-1) it''s all but impossible to discern a difference from an AGS-0. So, yes, you get a bit more value by purchasing an AGS-1. But because of the scarcity of AGS-1''s, it''s more a matter of being able to locate an AGS-1 that''s within your preferences for carat weight, color and clarity.

I''m unable to confidently make such a blanket statement about diamonds accompanied by current GIA grading reports. The highest category of cut within the GIA cut grade system ("Excellent") covers a much broader range than its relatively narrower AGS cousin.

Best of luck,
Bill Scherlag

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very nicely put, Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results