shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is "out of round"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jferrara75

Rough_Rock
If a stone is 8.60-8.35x6.33 (which "out of round"). How does it effect 1) Brillance 2) Overall asthetics (beyond brilliance) 3) cost.

Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/16/2003 7:26:56 PM jferrara75 wrote:

If a stone is 8.60-8.35x6.33 (which 'out of round'). How does it effect 1) Brillance 2) Overall asthetics (beyond brilliance) 3) cost.

Thanks----------------

I don't expect a stone with poor symmetry to have great light return: if it happens this should really be the respective needle in a haystack.
'Aestetics' should be a matter of taste (yours). In colored gems a "roval" ( roundish oval, or off-round, as you put it) is not a detraction and I (but this is not about me) like it. Among diamonds, where the precision of the cut is much more a factor of value, rovals are a no-go zone for most buyers and sellers.

Price: this stone should definitely not cary a premium for the cut and I would expect a low price (not really a discount) since round brilliants are usually more expensive than other non branded, traditional fancy cuts (take marquises, for example, or worse, trillions).

If the lab report on this stone reads "fair symmetry" than is should definitely cary a discount based on it's below average make. i don't see these every day, and exactly how much this price cut should be also depends on the other specs of the diamond. The more you tell us, the more precise the answer will be... I guess.

jferrara75

Rough_Rock
Here is the rest of the information, what do you think? They are asking $10,100

Carat Weight : 1.82
Color Grade : I
Clarity : SI1
Cut : COMMERCIAL
Depth % : 59.7 %
Table % : 61 %
Girdle : MEDIUM - SLIGHTLY THICK, FACETED
Culet : VERY SMALL
Polish : VERY GOOD
Symmetry : GOOD
Fluorescence : NONE
Measurements : 8.65-8.38x6.33
Cert. Type : GIA

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/16/2003 7:48:29 PM jferrara75 wrote:

Here is the rest of the information, what do you think? They are asking $10,100

Carat Weight : 1.82
Color Grade : I
Clarity : SI1
Cut : COMMERCIAL
Depth % : 59.7 %
Table % : 61 %
Girdle : MEDIUM - SLIGHTLY THICK, FACETED
Culet : VERY SMALL
Polish : VERY GOOD
Symmetry : GOOD
Fluorescence : NONE
Measurements : 8.65-8.38x6.33
Cert. Type : GIA
----------------

There are a few strange things here: GIA does not use this label "commercial cut" and there is no such thing as "GIA TYPE"
sad.gif
diamond "cert". GIA's are "reports" by the name. Does this stone even have a GIA "cert" or not? If not, run: there is no excuse for a seller not to provide a report from a reputable lab (AGS, GIA, EGL, this is all the list).

jferrara75

Rough_Rock
This is info from a website of an NYC dealer that I am working with, they have the GIA cert, but it is in PDF format (to view). I just copied and pasted the summary.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can do a lot better for the money.
There looks to be some real nice diamonds in that size range on the pricescope search engine for the same or less money.
Not h&a but with a little work getting the angles and checking the hca and having one of the vendors get it in for you You could find a real winner.

edit to add>

www.pricescope.com

Kay

Ideal_Rock
You can find a better cut H or I & VS2-SI1 stone online in a similar size for the same price range. Keep looking.

There do seem to be a few odd items with that cert info. Is is just me, or is 8.38 x 8.65 a rather large diameter for a 1.82 carat stone with a 59.7 depth%? The other stones I'm pulling up in that size are closer to 8 mm.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kay....it's because of the table being larger most likely, this is one of those more shallow stones where the spread is greater...like mine. It would definitely look bigger.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is possible to have mediocre symmetry and good light return. BOTH symmetry & light return contribute to the beauty of the diamond though. A diamond with good proportions and so so optical symmetry will be a fiery stone in direct lighting but in softer light conditions may have reduced brilliance and chaotic symmetry.

So while we have an idea of how chaotic the symmetry may be on this stone due to it's out of roundness (not to mention how wild the variances may be facet by facet) there is no way to assess, with the limited information you've provided, how fiery (or the reflective/refractive properties) of the stone to determine light return/leakage. Get us some crown/pavilion angles and we can give you a more educated opinion.

Regards,

Rhino

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
How did a stone with those mm (being so out of round) get a good on symmetry? I would definitely pass & run from this one. "Commercial Grade"????????? Something isn't right. Not to even mention the price is not a bargain for what should be a bargain stone.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Something isn't working here!! 8.35 x 8.60 x 6.33 gives 74.7% depth and an estimated weight of about 2.8ct, give or take a few points!! So some data is absolutely wrong...
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Is this a round brilliant cut stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results