shape
carat
color
clarity

How important is designer/brand to you?

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
@diamondseeker2006 your perspective really resonated with me. I am not really into brands at all and I’ve been trying to figure out what’s got me so interested in the Cartier love ring/bracelet. I think because I just love classic, sophisticated, gold jewelry in general and I feel those pieces tick the boxes, regardless of brand (many other popular Cartier items do nothing for me).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@diamondseeker2006 your perspective really resonated with me. I am not really into brands at all and I’ve been trying to figure out what’s got me so interested in the Cartier love ring/bracelet. I think because I just love classic, sophisticated, gold jewelry in general and I feel those pieces tick the boxes, regardless of brand (many other popular Cartier items do nothing for me).

It's worth buying a few classic branded pieces that you truly love! No one I know locally would recognize my branded pieces. As always, we should buy to please ourselves!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not into brands other than as an interesting consideration along with other things I am comparing against. A good example of my shopping for anything is my 2nd e-ring. We were looking to replace the chunky (not large stone, just clunky setting from mall store) original one. I saw a few that I mostly liked from Tacori, but they weren't quite right and were way outside of the budget. The wonderful lady kept showing me options around the store (local jeweler) and I saw just exactly what I had in mind. It was a no-name piece at a fraction of the price. Another time, I was looking for a pendant and stumbled across something from one of the big name pearl jewelry makers (with focus on heirloom quality) that was beautiful and in budget but wasn't quite right as I looked at it again a few days later. I had the local jeweler work with me to design a piece instead.

Purses are fun. I buy all of mine through online auctions for an animal rescue group. I scroll through just the photos and have pretty much decided what I will bid on before ever seeing what the brand is. See of my favorite purses are no-name things I got for $5-10 each. I do have a few brand purses from the auction too, but that was based on shape/size/color with minimal consideration to the brand.

Performance, looks, etc are far more important to me in every category you would want to mention. There are a few things I would like to have that are big brand, but that is because I like the look and quality is said to be good. I won't copy anyone's design (and my jeweler would refuse if I asked -- he clarified that when I had one piece made based on a brand piece as starting point not that it was an issue as I had so many changes I wanted it was nowhere near the inspiration piece when done) so if I want to have the piece, I need to buy the brand piece.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Aren't they beautiful!? Those are a couple of the pieces I had in mind in my response I just posted. I love the look and would happily buy them despite them having a brand.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thinking about this I am more into
"Sally" from scorperation made this for me from a diamond from "Jane" at xcompany cut by "Joe" at ycompany.
The diamond or the setting could be branded or not doesn't matter.
People are more important than brands.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I want to clarify that I don't buy anything just because it's by brand x. I have to love the piece or bag first- whether it's branded or not.

It Sounds like I have endless branded pieces, I do not actually. I have my branded ring & a few purses & boots/shoes.

And yes I do have mall & small mom/pop jewelry pieces too that are beautiful and I love and wear with joy.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in with @kenny and @PreRaphaelite. I shop almost exclusively pre-loved, high quality, long lasting pieces but avoid obviously branded items. I don’t wear visible logos. I will buy/use brands if they are not obvious and they fit the other criteria. I have a few nice handbags and a vintage Coach collection. I don’t care one bit that Coach was a bigger deal then....I like the styles and the leather can’t be beat. If I can, I remove the brand identifying hang tags and store them inside the bags to keep them safe but out of sight. I have a Balenciaga and a buttery soft bag by Botega Veneta that most people in my town would not recognize. I just picked up a Gucci bag and I’ve used it once...carrying it so the logo faces me, not outward. I don’t think I will keep it though.
All the same applies to jewelry as well. Even if I liked it, if it was a recognizable branded piece it would lose some value in my eyes.

But that is not to say I am against branding...some people value and appreciate brands enough to pay a premium. That’s just not me. For most of my adult life I’ve lived a lifestyle well below my income level and I don’t like the attention/perception that some high end brand names carry. I also do not wish to be a walking advertisement for any brand. But I do like nice things and can usually find them without brands/logos plastered al over them.

I have asked DH more than once if we can repaint the giant silver badge across the tailgate of our truck. I hate it....but as long as the truck is under first warranty he will not.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't care about brands at all although some brands carry very pretty things that I love.

I tend to be attracted to cute things like fruit, flowers, cute animals so jewellery made into those shapes really call out to me.

Not jewellery related but I kinda freaked out when I bought my house because it had these weird European appliances which my friend raved over. I'm a Westinghouse girl who paid $500 roughly for for each appliance and these served me well for decades so I was completely suspicious of my branded oven that apparently costs a fortune to fix. It works though so no funny business for now!

I saw this earlier today and loved it. Sounds like you're someone else who probably would too!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(The only high end purses that I truly love for the designs are Chanel, and they are just out of my price range.)
My wife's one and only handbag. She's not into purses. I bought her 3 handbags after all these yrs together. The first one was a Gucci (her favorite) which I bought her in 1985. She carried for 15 yrs, then I bought her a Chanel which she hates it just stays in the closet, then when we were in Paris last yr I bought her a classic style med size Chanel.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero branded names of anything on me now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have zero branded names of anything on me now.

Really?
You took the crystals off your watches and scratched the name brands off of the dials?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While there are contemporary jewelry brands that I admire, I find myself drawn to vintage and antique pieces. It’s not about brands but more about finding stellar examples of common styles of the past, such as star brooches and Georgian 3-stone rings. I like the fact that there’s history behind them, and they’re not contributing to modern-day environmental degradation, human rights abuses, etc.

Of contemporary brands, I like Kataoka, Gabriela Kiss, Sofia Zakia, Melanie Casey, and Sofia Kaman. Some of them use recycled metals and gems.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
I am a CS lady so I won't even look at any brand names in jewelry. Simply don't know how it is possible to find identical oval 8X6mm royal blue sapphires to make identical rings in large quantities. To me it is absolutely important who cut the stone and who makes the piece. Of course, there are absolutely favorite names among CS persons! But I would like to buy a preloved brand something with tiny CS's and diamonds only if I really love it. I have Tiffany sterling silver necklace my son and DIL got in 2012 for finishing half marathon, but I don't know how to IMG_2111 (2).JPG wear it :mrgreen:(my daughter reluctantly accepted the second one). I also have 2 fashion pieces by Mark Jacobs, a keychain and a necklace.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really?
You took the crystals off your watches and scratched the name brands off of the dials?
I sold my Rolex so I don't own any name brand products now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really?
Your Avatar watch has no name brand?

:D

33.png
IMO, it is not a name brand. IOW, if I show my watch to 100 people on the street 99.99% of the people will say they never heard of the brand, so no, IMO it is not a name brand.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, it is not a name brand. IOW, if I show my watch to 100 people on the street 99.99% of the people will say they never heard of the brand, so no, IMO it is not a name brand.

It is a very desirable brand. Not being common or recognizable does not negate it from branding. KWIM? Does this make sense?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife's one and only handbag. She's not into purses. I bought her 3 handbags after all these yrs together. The first one was a Gucci (her favorite) which I bought her in 1985. She carried for 15 yrs, then I bought her a Chanel which she hates it just stays in the closet, then when we were in Paris last yr I bought her a classic style med size Chanel.

Send the Chanels to ME, DF! You are a good hubby in terms of gifts for your wife!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A watch over $30,000 (more likely 40 or 50) doesn't even qualify as a name brand? :wall:

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 5.11.53 PM.png

Last edited:

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Count me in with @kenny and @PreRaphaelite. I shop almost exclusively pre-loved, high quality, long lasting pieces but avoid obviously branded items. I don’t wear visible logos. I will buy/use brands if they are not obvious and they fit the other criteria. I have a few nice handbags and a vintage Coach collection. I don’t care one bit that Coach was a bigger deal then....I like the styles and the leather can’t be beat. If I can, I remove the brand identifying hang tags and store them inside the bags to keep them safe but out of sight. I have a Balenciaga and a buttery soft bag by Botega Veneta that most people in my town would not recognize. I just picked up a Gucci bag and I’ve used it once...carrying it so the logo faces me, not outward. I don’t think I will keep it though.
All the same applies to jewelry as well. Even if I liked it, if it was a recognizable branded piece it would lose some value in my eyes.

But that is not to say I am against branding...some people value and appreciate brands enough to pay a premium. That’s just not me. For most of my adult life I’ve lived a lifestyle well below my income level and I don’t like the attention/perception that some high end brand names carry. I also do not wish to be a walking advertisement for any brand. But I do like nice things and can usually find them without brands/logos plastered al over them.

I have asked DH more than once if we can repaint the giant silver badge across the tailgate of our truck. I hate it....but as long as the truck is under first warranty he will not.

This is me. I won’t wear logos on clothing or handbags, and no recognizable (VCA, Carter, Hermes) jewelry.
I do like Bottega Veneta because I like the classic style and lack of logo. Also like Tod’s for same reason

So those of you who like recognizable items—ie. hermes belt with H buckle, VCA jewelry, LV bags, Christian Loubouton shoes with red soles—-why do you love them? Is it strictly style? Are there expectations in your work/social circle?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking of watches for my 21st i got two
a Casio and a Saiko
The Casio was worn every single day 24 7 - most days it didn't even get taken off in the shower
i replaced its leather band and its battery when needed and it kept perfect time for almost 20 years, it went to work, it went on overseas travel, it went swiming in the sea, it came with me to the army, it did everything with me

i understand there are more luxurious brands than Saiko - but hay ! It was a gift
because i had a job that required getting a bit wet and dirty i never wore it to work, it sat in its case and went flat till its battry leaked acid and it cost $350 for a new part

going on this past experience no matter what my income or work enviroment i just don't think i could justify an exspensive watch

But that Casio set a presidence in that my next watch had better last 20 years of continuous rough and tumble and never skip a beat

voce

Ideal_Rock
I don't buy brands, just styles. The only time designer/brand means a lot to me is when *I* get to be the designer with something custom/bespoke.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh what labels do you like/have?

@Dancing Fire I am with your wife- I don't like Chanel. I find the purses dated & old ladyish.
She didn't like the first one I bought her. She likes the 2nd one I bought her.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A watch over $30,000 (more likely 40 or 50) doesn't even qualify as a name brand? :wall:
No, not IMO, b/c is NOT recognizable by the public. A Rolex yes!. A Lange no!.

Ooops, I lie...I'd own a couple of name branded items which I bought in Paris last yr. My matching belt & wallet.

IMG_0246.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results