shape
carat
color
clarity

How high should a cushion halo be set?

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
I'm in the process of deciding all the finer details of how I want my ring to look. I'm going with a 1.6-1.7 mm pave shank and similar halo around the stone. There will be curved stems holding up the stone, and the stems and gallery will be pave. I'm just not sure how high the stem should go, and how high the diamond itself should sit. I want a relatively low profile, but I would also like a little bit of height off my finger.

Any thoughts? I really like the height on the video of the JBEG Kylie halo on jewelsbyericagrace.com. I've already called and left a message, but in the meantime, does anyone know how high that is? Or the height of the Harry Winston cushion halo?

Thanks!

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
personally I think I would want it almost flush because... I'm not sure why lol I think having it hit just under the girdle up to half way between culet and girdle... but not more than that.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Initially a higher top looks more "in your face' and shows off the center stone, but over the long run a ring that is set closer to the finger will be less cumbersome for daily wear and not get caught on things or on the edge of tight pockets in coats and jeans. With tiny diamonds set into a halo, one needs to avoid banging the ring up against objects and a low top helps to prevent small diamond loss from bending of the halo and related wires. Just a bit higher than the minimum is probably the best compromise for daily use.

If you are a performer or very well taken care of by a staff so that you have other folks doing your manual tasks, then a showier, higher setting is definitely more noticeable and theatrical. That's okay, too........ The final thought is that it must be practical for your individual lifestyle.

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
Thanks guys! My diamond is an old mine brilliant. The depth is 63%, and the actual measurement is 4.39mm. I would like to ask for the halo to be set around the girdle so that the crown and table puff up over it. I'm thinking of asking for 7 mm distance between the top of the diamond and my finger, so that's only adding 2.61 mm- how does that sound? Is that still very low?

I don't want a really high setting, because of the reasons you stated, but I want it a little higher than "as low as possible" mostly because I'd like to see a bit more of the curved, paved stems when I look at it in profile.

Thanks,

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
hey ! perhaps this might help ...

my very first setting for the 1.72 ct stone (4.70mm depth) - this is at 6.8mm height (sorry for some reason this photo doesn't show the bottom of the donut), this will leave a 2.1mm space from culet to finger :

ering_1-3small.jpg

my 2nd setting for the 1.72ct stone (4.70mm depth) - this is at 7mm height, leaving 2.3mm space:

IMG_0156aa.jpg

my 3rd setting for the upgraded 2.32ct stone (5.22mm depth) - this is at 8.25mm height (this is super tall so i don't think it's appropriate unless there are cathedral shoulders to securely hold the basket as such), leaving 3.03mm space :

IMG_2969a.jpg

in your case i would recommend somewhere between 6.5mm to 6.8mm for your stone to achieve that "7mm" look on my 2nd setting, if this is the height vision you are looking for...

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
wanted to show you another photo of my 2nd setting when worn with a shared prong eternity band :

IMG_4006a.jpg

i like the height on my 2nd setting the best because i am still seeing a full "V" shape coming up from the band, i also like seeing the culet right above the wedding band and not "chopped off" at the bottom (if you know what i mean)... but at the same time the diamond culet isn't so high that makes it look like it's floating in mid air ...

one more thing to consider is that you don't want the curved stems to be way too long, hence i think a 6.5mm-6.8mm would be a sweet spot for you ...

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
one last one photo to help out ... Charmypoo's gorgeous maytal halo ring... i believe her cushion is at 4.66mm in depth :

Charmypoo should be able to give light to how high her diamond is set at !

haloring19.jpg

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
frankiextah|1291067653|2782058 said:
one last one photo to help out ... Charmypoo's gorgeous maytal halo ring... i believe her cushion is at 4.66mm in depth :

Charmypoo should be able to give light to how high her diamond is set at !

haloring19.jpg

Wow thanks so much for these pictures! Very very helpful! So it sounds like I was on the right track, with 7 mm, but I was counting it wrong, because I was thinking 7mm from top of diamond to my finger, so it would actually be a little more than 9 mm if I look at it that way, right?

Thanks again!

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
No, I think she means total height. Just hold a ruler against your finger and mark off 9mm with your eye -- that would be too high for practical wear.

frankiextah

Brilliant_Rock
hellokitty, 6.8mm / 7mm / 8.25mm would be the TOTAL height including the space between the culet to the finger ...

so if you set your stone at 7mm height, you will leave about 2.66mm space between your finger and the culet of your diamond. this would "look" higher than my 2nd ring setting. IF you like the look of my 2nd ring setting, i would suggest you to set your stone at 6.5mm - 6.8mm so that you have about the same space between finger and culet of the diamond like mine... does this make sense?

glad these photos help ! good luck and keep us posted !!! :appl:

hellokitty6782

Shiny_Rock
Ok, I finally got it. I'm gonna go for it! E-mailing him soon...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results