shape
carat
color
clarity

How high does your ring sit off your finger? Pls post pics

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
I'm doing my research and am think I might want a cathedral but now I think I want something that sits a little lower so the diamond isn't too "isolated" from the finger/ring. Does this make sense? There was a drawing that showed the viewing angle of the diamond in a high setting vs a low setting and it stated the lower one made the diamond look beter.

Please post side shots that show how high the ring sits (looking down on the finger)
Can you also say what size the stone is so I can get a feeling of how different sizes look please, as well as finger size :loopy:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: How high does your ring sit off your finger? Pls post p

Where did you see about lower stones look bigger? Do you have a link?
I always thought the opposite. I have a picture around here that show
The difference but I need to get on the computer to find it (I'm on my
Kindle right now). And the picture is of two 5 stones so its not exactly what
You are looking for. I'll post the link in a while.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the OP says lower looks "better" not lower looks "bigger," altho I have heard some say that. As with most things it's all in the eye of the beholder. Likewise, some folks think a thinner band makes the diamond look bigger, but unless we're talking about super-wide, I almost feel the opposite. Sorry to not have pictures - I'm sure others will chime in; but, I have my ER which is 1.02 and set high and my mom's which is 2.22 and set low. I'm sitting here trying to say which looks "better" and I'm hard-pressed to make a definitive response.

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

Hope these help. Its not the type of setting you are interested in, but here's mine. Its about 6.2mm from finger to table (maybe a fraction more). Sorry about the quality. I was fixing lunch for the kids and stepped away and took some with my IPhone.

ringprofile.jpg

ring profile-2.jpg

photo-3.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ah, I see it does say "beter ". I think most people do like their
Settings lower but it does depend on the individual.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have always found that it looks bigger when it's higher set. I have only had one "low" setting and I hated how low it was. I am not really thrilled with how low my current setting is either, but whenever that's redone, Ill rectify that.

file.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think it's a matter of personal preference whether you think a higher or lower set stone will look better.

You can have a lower set stone that has a cathedral setting, by the way.

Here are some shots of mine. It's set pretty low, I believe. I love it. These aren't the best pictures, sorry.
IMG_1388.jpg
IMG_1602_0.jpg
IMG_1783_1.jpg

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

I have a cathedral setting! 18k white gold, .80 carat (6.03-6.01mm) round diamond, size 5.75 finger but my rings are 6's and are a tad loose. My ring is FILTHY so please excuse the lotion on the diamond! :)) I just took these real quick with my iphone. From finger to crown, the setting/diamond sits 7mm off my finger. I asked for it to be set medium and the benchman nailed it.

cathedralring1.jpg

cathedralsetting3.jpg

cathedralsetting2.jpg

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the pics and opinions. Keep them coming.
Here is a pic of my stone so you can see how low it is. I was looking at a possible new setting, but think that one will
hide the beauty of my stone. Maybe a trellis setting?

IMG_5877_2.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

When you posted a thread back in January, 75% of people in the poll said they did NOT think your stone needed to be reset higher. Your setting is beautiful and my opinion is the same as it was back then!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks ! I think I posted an extra post on this instead of reply! :twirl:

I just don't know if this setting is doing the stone justice. It's 90yrs old and has probably seen bettr days :bigsmile:

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Here's one I was seriously considering..... what do u think? diamond size very close.
see 2 rings side by side

IMG_5894_2.JPG

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock

I love the setting and height. I do think the comparison setting just has more presence in general (thickness of shank, prongs, etc). Yours is very delicate and gorgeous in its own right though. Is it a height thing or metal? I really don't have too much to contribute on cathedral settings, so I will just sit back and :read: Good luck with the decision!

Also, I came on too b/c I realized you were asking to show side views of cathedral settings! So sorry! Lol. Kinda felt like I did when I walked into the wrong classroom once in HS and just sat myself right down. Took me a minute to figure it out :wink2:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock

iluvdiamonds2|1340157611|3219834 said:
Here's one I was seriously considering..... what do u think? diamond size very close.
see 2 rings side by side

Well, I like your current setting but I LOVE the one you are considering!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the one you're considering is really pretty! It's actually similar to your current setting in certain ways.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock

I like the new ring option but am partial to antique settings (my diamond e ring is Edwardian). This is a pic of my high sitting spinel ring. It looks nice above my antique wedding band but does get banged up more. The stone is loose and I have to have it tightened. I have grown accustomed to it and receive compliments on the look. DSC01291.jpg Sorry picture is blurry but I hope you get a sense of the height.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

iluvdiamonds2|1340148192|3219701 said:
Thanks for the pics and opinions. Keep them coming.
Here is a pic of my stone so you can see how low it is. I was looking at a possible new setting, but think that one will
hide the beauty of my stone. Maybe a trellis setting?
The current ring is on your pinky? It looks FANTASTIC as it is.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for the pics of everyone's rings. It is very interesting to see the varying heights.

I am pen to any pics of settings you suggestion (don't want a halo though, maybe something w/ smaller stones beneath it or something to emphasize the cushion-like facets? :rolleyes: I really need help! I want to put this behind me and enjoy my ring once and for all!!! :roll:

Glad you guys like the new setting and some like the old one. Gee you can really see how old mine is, I mean, it is so flat looking and the new WG one is shiny and bright. Definitely feels more substantial on the finger. :cheeky: But, is it the best for my stone? :confused: I checked out BK, but nothing jumped out at me. These diamonds on the side (possible new ring) are G color VS2. Do they look TOO big? .50ct total i think. It's supposed to be a lucida setting or something/trellis profile, but there is a circular bar around it that I don't like because from the top view u see the circle, and I want to de-emphasize the roundness. I don't think my stone is perfectly round because as you can see from 1st picture, it looks more like a cushiony round or something. :twirl:

luvthatRing

Rough_Rock

Haven, where did you get that setting?? I absolutely love it! Do you mind me asking the specks of the diamond as well?

luvthatRing

Rough_Rock

As for the reset, your original setting is beautiful! I wouldn't change a thing!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Yes, Haven - gorgeous ring and diamond!! Congrats!

Thanks for liking my current ring. Do you guys think it's too old/metal/darkish thin; diamond plopped on top/too low / at all ....

I can get that ring custom made with changes I'm sure. How can I modify it? Do you guys have any suggestions?? (Help! :o ).

What do you think of this (please give me any ideas - all are welcome!)

The new setting, but smaller side stones (?)
A slight curvature toward the top / side shank meets the stone
The shank will be tapered wider toward the center stone and thinner (not as thin as my old one) toward the base

Prongs?? Same as what I have (tab?) or how can they shape them to accentuate the cushiony shape of the OEC facets on the edges??

I appreciate everyone's time and can't wait to come to a conclusion so I can get it once and for all...

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your pinky ring has me drooling. I wouldn't change it!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Derby. :wavey: :wavey: Do you think it would look even better though in a setting that had wider tapering up toward center stone (not so disconnected) and an x-prong profile? :naughty: :naughty:

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

bump :wavey: anybody have more pics of your ring off finger? :love:

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock

Here's mine. I think I would probably prefer it a bit lower, although I'm certainly not unhappy the way it is!
IMG_0060_3.jpg
Curled%20Fingers.jpg

I must say I love the setting on your pinky.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

:love: what a ring!!!!!!! gorgeous!!!

thx for the compliment. thx for your vote. I am so undecided!! :confused:

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock

I agree with vinjewels, the possible new setting has more oomph overall. If that's what you're looking for in your ering, then I would choose the new setting. I have a beautiful old vintage cluster RHR with gorgeous diamonds, but it just seems a little lost on my hand (my finger is a 9). I'm always thinking of ways to add some oomph to it. Also, in the new setting, I like that the band is wider and doesn't taper so sharply.

Just my two cents. Good luck deciding what to do!

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock

Thx periwinkle! I appreciate your 2cents, it's priceless to me because I really need objective opinions. I guess the reason why I'm hesitant to not just try it (but probably will) is because
1. I am not sure if I wanted it put back in the original ring if the diamond will be set just as it is now (it's not perfectly round) and if the prongs will look the same as now (tabs) - if it had to go back and it didn't look the same, i would possibly regret doing it. :twirl:

2. An antique jewelry store owner went crazy over my ring. I went to his store to look at settings and he advised me to leave it alone because I'll ruin it's integrity. I have heard this before too. :read:

3. Will this new setting satisfy me or will it be my last diamond in my lifetime? I love other shapes too. Will I ever sell it ? Don't know 100% in the future. If so, will the person want an old diamond in a new setting? or would they feel like in #2...?

4. Will I enjoy wearing it more w/ a new setting or will I miss this one? :confused:

5. Will the diamond perform differently in new setting w/ new prong/setting conditions? It might not be as open on the sides, etc.

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi iluvdiamonds,

I gotta say I sympathize with your setting dilemma, because I'm going through a similar thought process myself. I don't have a setting nearly as pretty as yours, but I'm also not sure whether to change the current one, what to change it to, will I regret it, etc etc etc.

Most of the questions you ask are actually ones you will only be able to answer yourself, but perhaps talking through the process here will help you make up your mind.

Some thoughts:

- You seem to suggest that you may regret changing settings and want to go back to the original setting, but then you're not sure whether the stone can be put back in place the right way. I'm guessing this could be a problem, but if you go with a highly respected CS vendor who deals with antique stones, perhaps this can be avoided? I've heard Single Stone mentioned a lot, perhaps more experienced people can direct you towards such a vendor. It will cost you more, but will give you peace of mind.

- What are the issues exactly with your current setting? You asked wither it looks "too old/metal/darkish thin." Perhaps you discussed these in another thread I didn't see. In my opinion, the whole point of an antique setting is that it's "old"! :)) And yours doesn't seem to look outdated or too old-fashioned, so to speak. It looks like a pretty vintage setting. What do you mean about "metal/darkish," is it not the color you'd like it to be? Are you sure a new setting will be, after some wear? Lastly, about it being thin. If it's so thin that you are afraid it might break, that's a problem. If it's a question of how it looks on your hand... then it's your decision. But I think many people commented that it looks lovely, and I'd have to agree.

- Lastly, you mentioned keeping the integrity of the vintage ring by not removing the stone. In connection with this, you mentioned possibly selling the stone. Again, this is something you'll have to figure out for yourself, but if you do want to sell it one day, perhaps it'd be best to keep it in the current setting. Instead of spending money on a new setting, put it aside toward a new stone. On the other hand... if you won't be getting a new stone for years but feel like you'd enjoy this stone better in a different setting, then it's back to point 1 -- find a vendor experienced in antiques, carefully remove the stone, save the original setting, and enjoy wearing your stone in whatever setting pleases you!

To finish up this rambling entry, I'll say that I personally love your current setting and prefer lower-set stones. But in the end, that doesn't really matter, cause it's your ring and you need to figure out what pleases YOU best! Maybe go to some stores and try on rings with higher-set stones?

Good luck!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

iluvdiamonds2|1340584753|3223021 said:
bump :wavey: anybody have more pics of your ring off finger? :love:
I have pictures of my ring off my finger. Here you go:
IMG_1370.jpg
IMG_1369.jpg
IMG_1361.jpg

Have you come any closer to making a decision? I love your current setting, and I like your new potential setting, too. They aren't different enough for me to think it would be worth changing the setting, but that is just me. I think the most important thing is that YOU love your ring so much that you swoon every time you see it.

ETA: Ugh. SO sorry for the ultra closeup of my nasty fingers and nails! Man, macro mode does not do anything for my hands.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results