shape
carat
color
clarity

How have people reacted to your new diamond?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While mine is round he choose to go with Princess cut because when he first met her she was wearing a tiara (not sure why LOL) and told him she was a princess.
I'm not quite sure about that logic... :???: lol

At least he knows WF has a good returns policy if she wants to swap it for one that actually sparkles like your ACA! ;-) :lol:

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I actually think bling is pretty much like everything else in life, in that how people react to it (assuming they even notice, because a lot of people just won’t unless it’s a flashing neon light), tells you more about them than about you. Secure people are able to be happy for others. Insecure or jealous people judge, make snide comments, or criticize.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
I actually think bling is pretty much like everything else in life, in that how people react to it (assuming they even notice, because a lot of people just won’t unless it’s a flashing neon light), tells you more about them than about you. Secure people are able to be happy for others. Insecure or jealous people judge, make snide comments, or criticize.

Apologies if this came off sounding elitist and snobby. I was trying to type while answering five billion questions from kids on summer break and I don’t think this came out at all the way I intended. I feel very fortunate to have any bling at all and am mindful of that, and also aware that others do not have the same resources. My words above were really directed at people with similar resource levels who choose to be snarky (I’ve had that happen recently).

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Over a decade ago I was shopping and wearing my large ( for the area I live in ) cluster ring that I had custom made. I had a complete stranger interrupt me grab my hand. She was holding my hand and rather loudly said “ Is that thing real? “ I responded yes and then offered the name of my jeweler who made it for me. I was very uncomfortable at the attention and just wanted to shop in peace.

That was well over a decade ago and nothing like that has happened since then. It is rare to have people notice my rings. I like it that way. I am a shy person and do not like unrequested attention. I don’t mind a random, you have a pretty ring comment but anything more than that would be annoying unless they were a diamond lover and wanted to ACTUALLY talk about diamonds and settings. I usually have to be in a jewelry store to find a person who is even marginally educated about them. Even then it is hit and miss lol.

Thankfully, most people do not notice what I wear whether it is a new hair style, clothing, jewelry or a purse and are busy with their own lives. I would probably change to one of my modest rings or a plain band if people were more than occasionally interrupting me in public to comment on my jewelry. Same goes with my purses, hair or clothes.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t had too many occasions of ppl commenting, but they do seem to be when my hands/wrist are thrust out there:
Cashier
Customer service counter
Pharmacist (just this week)
One of those in-store wine sampling ppl

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well if your ring makes you a d-bag then I am def in the club!

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
I'm not quite sure about that logic... :???: lol

At least he knows WF has a good returns policy if she wants to swap it for one that actually sparkles like your ACA! ;-) :lol:

Because he's always called her Princess LOL. WF sells ACA Princess cut as well. Not sure if they sparkle as much as the rounds but I'm sure BETTER than any mall Princess diamond.

Rubybrick

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In general I notice people’s jewelry, I only feel compelled to comment if the setting is unique. I almost never comment on large solitaire diamond/or very blingy eternity/3/5 stones, I don’t want it to be awkward for the person wearing it, but mostly I feel self conscious about it. Now unique beautiful color gem/ semi precious jewelry I try to compliment whenever the situation is appropriate.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When I had my 2ct stone, I had quite a few strangers tell me how much they love my ring. Since upgrading to 3ct, only a SA at Cartier, who really wanted to sell me something. I guess 3ct must be "douche-bag" territory. :lol::lol::lol:

pinklemonadegurl

Shiny_Rock
My ACA is a fireball-I stare at it at my son's baseball games. It is by far the most amazing diamond I have owned. I also have a 3/4 eternity band with exceptional scintillation. I play with my hands and STARE and watch the lightshow. I also notice other's rings and jewelry-I guess if you had a purse 'thing', you'd notice others' handbags. Enjoy it yourself! I LOVE my very costly ring-no one else except another diamond connoisseur would appreciate its' specs, imo.....

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I frequently receive compliments on my rings from strangers/colleagues/friends, however, I wear them solely for my own enjoyment and I would never get offended if someone doesn’t notice them. Not all people act the same way, notice the same things or feel compelled to share their feelings. I, on the other hand, frequently give compliments to other people and/or stalk their jewelry silently :lol: and some people are happy to receive compliments while other feel embarrassed in a way, so I can see why many wouldn’t provide a compliment or even comment.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah. So my tally is two comments about the manicure and one warning about upsizing to a douche-bag, timeframe approx. 2.5 months. What about you?

:lol-2::lol-2::lol-2: i think most people don't notice or don't feel comfortable commenting on others' jewelry & wouldn't take it to mean anything about your ring.

diamondnewbieny

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I see other people’s ring all the time, sometimes I stare! I do feel uncomfortable commenting. My children’s dentist grabbed my hand and commented on my ring and that made me felt uncomfortable.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am wondering how people will react if I (a male of the species) ever manage to get the 2ct+ asscher I really want for a RHR! :???:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get compliments often....averages once a day to 3-4 days a week.
However, most ppl are not savvy concerning diamonds & jewelry, and anything outside the “normal” round or 3 stone princess (past, present future) is going to draw attention. I have an EC. I work with my hands, with the public (front desk receptionist in doctor’s office). My rings are easily noticeable.
However, to prove the above point, 2 of my coworkers work at the exit desk, and both of them wear 3 stone princess cut rings. Another, a 1+ct Pear. I get more compliments on my rings than anyone else.
I’M THE PS’er in my office. I’M THE JEWELRY PERSON, and everyone knows it...lol!! MY diamonds are ALWAYS clean, and they are polished & maintained, EVERY DAY. So, MINE STAND OUT! :lol-2:
It’s no surprise people notice my rings among all of the others.
That being said, I’m shocked people do not gawk & stare at your ring; it’s an ACA. You’re a PS’er; you maintain your ring well.
I’ll chalk it up to envy & closet admiration. I’ll promise that no one who asks to look at your nails is ONLY looking at your nails! Most likely, they ask to see your manicure so they can get a better look at your ring, without being conspicuous.
Jewelry isn’t just worn as a symbol of love & affection. It’s a STATEMENT. It’s worn as an expression of the person wearing it. It’s MEANT to be seen, and admired. I understand why the lack of admiration by others would be bothersome. Please try not to take it personally, @kmoro. The average human has never seen an ACA in photos (at least, they wouldn’t know it), let alone, IRL. There’s no doubt in my mind your ring has sparked interest....even if no one says it, out loud.
Your ring is gorgeous, and you deserve to enjoy it!! :kiss2:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Secure people are able to be happy for others. Insecure or jealous people judge, make snide comments, or criticize.

Hey Tonks, nice to see you. For some reason, reading your post reminds me of when my wife and I were MUCH younger and she was a member of the Jr. League here in Boise.

She was wearing a couple of beautiful pieces I had made for her, one was an eleven carat pear shaped aquamarine that was a rich dark blue, and something else that escapes my memory at the moment, as well as a nice strand of baroque cultured pearls that is about two yards long. A lady came up to her and commented that she had a lot of very nice jewelry for such a young lady. (She did NOT say it with a smile, it was pure snark!)

Resa just looked at her and said, "I sleep with my jeweler."

THAT was the end of that conversation.

Wink

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lady came up to her and commented that she had a lot of very nice jewelry for such a young lady. (She did NOT say it with a smile, it was pure snark!)

Wink

tenor.gif

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I think also that some people really don't approve of expensive jewelry, as opposed to being jealous of it.

Haven't we all heard people who believe nice jewelry is wasteful, useless, self-indulgent etc. And in that case, it's much better that they do keep their pie hole shut, right? LOL.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
In general I notice people’s jewelry, I only feel compelled to comment if the setting is unique. I almost never comment on large solitaire diamond/or very blingy eternity/3/5 stones, I don’t want it to be awkward for the person wearing it, but mostly I feel self conscious about it. Now unique beautiful color gem/ semi precious jewelry I try to compliment whenever the situation is appropriate.

Sorry if this has been said, I skimmed. I think you may have touched on a big reason why. It is a lot easier and more socially acceptable to compliment someone's style rather than their wealth. A more intricate, cluster, unique, etc., ring invites that possibility. Whereas a "basic" solitaire or three stone (my current ring has been both) would have to be more focused on the quality/size of the stone, which would mean complimenting $$$ to most people. The fact that I've read those wedding forums where someone posts a more modest stone size and people make comments about the elegance or design of the setting kind of reinforce this in my mind. Or I'm trying to make myself feel better.:)

People complimented me constantly on my previous .9 WF ES pave ring. I almost feel bad for my new husband because I wore that ring on my right hand for a while when we were dating and he remembers how much people took note of it everywhere we went. My undoubtedly more amazing 3+ tcw ACA 3 stone...crickets. No one says a word. Maybe once this year. My money is on the above since the other setting was just flashier. I am a super casual person (think diamonds and old yoga pants/flip flops) and I also wonder if people don't know if it's real and don't want to offend me. Most of our diamonds on PS DO look better/different than the general population and different may equal "fake" in some people's minds. (I hope that doesn't sound snotty.:/) But I do know I don't look the part at all, whatever that is.

I used to think about this a lot for curiosity sake more than anything, but like Missy said, my ring is for me. I love it and what it means and that really is all that matters. Well, that and that my young daughter always fawns over it and it will be hers one day. I'm happy she likes it!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have a new one but my old ones get a lot of reactions from scared teenage boy cashiers. They're very cute and earnest when they give me a horrified look and ask "Did your husband have to pay for that?"

Everyone else thinks the yellow DBL ring is a fake! First comment is "That's a gorgeous ring" followed by "Is it real?"

The rest of the CS rings don't get many comments even though I find them more impressive than the white diamond personally. I'm assuming people think they are fakes.

Jade also gets many comments because it's so hard to buy jade in Australia so people get really excited when they see it and want to know if it's A grade.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Tonks, nice to see you. For some reason, reading your post reminds me of when my wife and I were MUCH younger and she was a member of the Jr. League here in Boise.

She was wearing a couple of beautiful pieces I had made for her, one was an eleven carat pear shaped aquamarine that was a rich dark blue, and something else that escapes my memory at the moment, as well as a nice strand of baroque cultured pearls that is about two yards long. A lady came up to her and commented that she had a lot of very nice jewelry for such a young lady. (She did NOT say it with a smile, it was pure snark!)

THAT was the end of that conversation.

Wink

Omg, @Wink , that seriously had me spitting out my margarita!!!!

I’m a Junior League dropout. Largely because I would have said things like that. Your wife sounds awesome.

Swirl68

Shiny_Rock
I’m a stay at home mom, so don’t have a large social circle. I was disappointed the first week when no one at church noticed my new rings. But what I didn’t know was that several DID notice them and were speculating whether or not they were real and should they say something. One of the ladies asked my son in children’s church if by chance his mom got a new wedding ring? He proceeded to tell them all about the new rings that daddy decided to get mommy instead of the new bass boat we had been shopping for the last few months (which my son wanted badly). At that point they figured they were real. :oops:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't remember receiving any compliments when I was sporting a 2.30ct Octavia nor my current 2.60ct CBI. I guess people just don't like to compliment a dude.
Idunno1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelry isn’t just worn as a symbol of love & affection. It’s a STATEMENT. It’s worn as an expression of the person wearing it. It’s MEANT to be seen, and admired. I understand why the lack of admiration by others would be bothersome.
Yup, you must FLAUNT IT!...:wink2:

giphy.webp

giphy.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have received lots of comments on my pear, especially on cruises.

Very few on my CBI diamonds from people. They do notice that they sparkle a lot, but no comments as to the size.

However, have received compliments from other jewelers on my CBI diamonds. A HoF dealer thought that my original CBI was a HoF diamond, lol.

So I think most people are impressed by size, not performance.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results