shape
carat
color
clarity

How have people reacted to your new diamond?

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All!

I’ve had my new diamond (ring) for about two and a half months now. I’m mostly housebound but have ventured out a couple of times.

Outside of my close friends where I said “look at what I got!” and knew they were happy for me:

So far, I’ve had two comments about my manicure. Now, it’s impossible to notice my manicure and not my diamond. But no comments about the diamond. In fact, I didn’t even catch anyone trying to steal a look.

And, when out for dinner with two of my closest friends, I mentioned that I have lately been considering a two carat. My friend responded with “Don’t get a two carat ... you don’t want to look like a douche-bag.” (My diamond is 7.69 mm, 1.71 carat). When I mentioned that the two carat is only .5 mm larger, she was surprised and said “Only two mm larger?,” which I confirmed but she said nothing else. This friend is very happy for me however, she loves diamonds (but not the single extraordinary diamond for herself, she prefers elaborate eternity rings), knows my ridiculous diamond journey and how much I have always dreamt of owning a beautiful diamond.

I’m not sure what reaction I was expecting, but thought maybe one person would say “wow, what a pretty diamond.” At the same time, I used to feel awkward commenting on a stranger’s bling ... do you think that people deem it impolite to comment on someone else’s diamond? Do you think no one has noticed my diamond (I really don’t “see” (haha) how this is possible). Do you think I already look like a “douche-bag” and so no one wants to say anything? (is this a stupid question to ask PSers, lol?). I have not been turning red and hiding my diamond, but I have not been flaunting it either.

Yeah. So my tally is two comments about the manicure and one warning about upsizing to a douche-bag, timeframe approx. 2.5 months. What about you?

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the lack of comments by people, some don't care as much as we do on here about diamonds. I've had family members rip me over the coals for too many jewelry pics on Pinterest. (I made all my ring pics private now). So there is judgement for caring about pretty things "too much". I never wear my jewelry around those family members anymore. It's their loss. And you are NOT a douche bag!!!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think I already look like a “douche-bag” and so no one wants to say anything? (is this a stupid question to ask PSers, lol?). I have not been turning red and hiding my diamond, but I have not been flaunting it either.

Yeah. So my tally is two comments about the manicure and one warning about upsizing to a douche-bag, timeframe approx. 2.5 months. What about you?

:lol: I doubt you look like a douche bag, and it's possible people have been admiring your diamond but don't want to weird you out by saying something. I like to look at people's engagement rings during my commute and I've never paid any compliments.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before PS I rarely noticed anyone’s bling...but since PS I notice everyone’s bling and sometimes I can’t un see them so I can focus on other things. My eyes start to wonder over to the ears or ring fingers sometimes down the neck:eek-2: for bling there... I think majority of people don’t notice.... unless it’s ostentatious perhaps? I don’t find 2 carats that huge unrealistic enough for me to notice anymore. I do tend to notice and comment more when it’s a colored something else other than diamonds.

Girl505

Rough_Rock
I’ll add to what others have said. The few times I have noticed rings that I think are beautiful, I haven’t said anything because I feel uncomfortable saying it to a stranger. It would even be difficult with someone I know unless they are family. I think it also feels even more uncomfortable to comment knowing the value of such an item and what the person might think. A diamond is something that is not as obvious unless you are looking for it. Therefore, it is uncomfortable to comment on it, despite how beautiful it might be.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would also echo that a) a vast majority of people just don't notice jewelry. And 2nd the people that do may not say anything for fear of weirding you out or asking an inappropriate question. Because of where I am, my friends (very non-diamond people) I had the opposite issue. I had a .70 carat ring made for an anniversary when I was still married, and my MIL when she saw it said doubtfully, in not quite approving tone "that looks big". Fast forward 3 years later when I wore my 3 stone (the center stone is a 1/2 carat, I had 2 different coworkers comment, with one asking if I was engaged, and when I said no warning me, people are going to think that's an engagement ring (I was wearing it on my right hand). So now I feel weird wearing diamond rings. I wish I didn't care but I do (plus I don't want single guys thinking I'm taken : ). What is ironic is I could probably wear a sapphire ring that costs more than the diamond ring and no one would notice.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also as for the friend that made the douche comment to me seems a bit shallow and jealous. People have different levels of disposable income and for me I worked hard to get to where I’m at and Im going to spend my money how I want. I think of the reverse when others may think us diamond lovers are shallow and would rather spend money elsewhere. I think of them as shallow and rude for not understanding the science and Mother Nature producing such amazing baubles for our enjoyment. To each their own.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure they notice your beautiful ring! I too think they are just not always inclined to say so.

Don't let your friends douchebag comments bother you - I too think that speaks a bit of jealously. I have had people tell me that someone might cut my arm off to get my diamond. Makes you scratch your head as to why someone would even suggest that!

While compliments are always nice to hear, I think you are probably like the rest of us in that you wear it more for your own enjoyment than anyone else's. Don't let their lack of comments get you down - if they are noticing your manicure you can be sure they are noticing your ring. If you want to go for two carats, do it! While it might seem large to the rest of the world, I think most people can rock that size stone with no problem. You are correct though - the weight is distributed throughout the stone so while it may sound so much larger, it really isn't. It is just one of the size points that can be fun to reach!

Rubymal

Shiny_Rock
I've had many people ooh and ahh over my diamond when I had a super cloudy GIA in my engagement ring setting. After I got it replaced with a blinding, sparkly ACA, I've had only a fraction of people comment on it. It made me think, what?! How could a subpar diamond get more attention than a super sparkly and well performing one? And then I realized that it's probably due to the fascination of it being new, rather than pretty. Aside from people I knew, the only "strangers" that would comment were vendors or something of that nature, so it's a bit less weird for them to compliment your bling.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Do what makes you happy and gives you endless pleasure. Life is too short to deny yourself the added bonuses (diamonds) we all love so much.

Go for the 2ct. I am doing just that, no qualms at all.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
I think a lot of times people notice your engagement ring it is because you just got engaged and they are specifically looking for it. After that people probably don’t notice any change.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
The people who typically commented on my ring were cashiers! They would notice as I was opening my wallet to pay. But that was only a handful of times. Mostly, no one says anything. *shrug*

Reactions: D&T

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My wife is a school teacher, she says no one notices her jewelry or handbags.
I am a watch enthusiast, I look at peoples wrists, I don't think many do the same. LOL

L

lydial

I get a lot of compliments (more for my cluster which is dang pretty I must say - even if it was a bunch of plastic it is a pretty shape) and the compliments make me a little bit embarrassed but I express gratitude and move on with my day. I got my upgrades as a treat for myself not to garner attention personally (not saying anyone here wants it), but if I only wore them alone they would still make me happy :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been wearing an upgraded diamond at work for seven years now. Only in the past couple of years have people commented. But what surprised me was that people have always noticed but were too embarrassed to say anything to me. How funny.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I usually only get compliments from young people. It seems to me "older" people find it awkward to comment on someone else's jewelry, if it seems expensive. Maybe it seems too much like commenting on their level of wealth.

About the "douchebag" comment, that sounds nasty, judgey and jealous so if anyone's a douchebag, it's her.

Last edited:

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Evidently some people feel it is rude to comment. I am always complementing people about their jewelry, no matter if it is costume or genuine. If the design is pretty and catches my eye, I say something. When Resa is with me, she has been known to tell the stranger that I just complimented, "Please forgive my husband, he is a jeweler and cannot help himself."

Wink

AmethystHope

Rough_Rock
Evidently some people feel it is rude to comment. I am always complementing people about their jewelry, no matter if it is costume or genuine. If the design is pretty and catches my eye, I say something. When Resa is with me, she has been known to tell the stranger that I just complimented, "Please forgive my husband, he is a jeweler and cannot help himself."

Wink

One post thread jack to say it’s so cool to see the name Resa. It’s my grandma’s name and I think it’s uncommon and very beautiful. :kiss2: Cheers!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently I’m surrounded by people who love to compliment my ring. Lol. This is a recent phenomenon, although the only change in my life is younger colleagues and nieces who are getting older. Lol. Sometimes I do get embarrassed, especially when they go on and on, like grab my hand and wave it around, but I laugh it off.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you think I already look like a “douche-bag” and so no one wants to say anything? (is this a stupid question to ask PSers, lol?). I have not been turning red and hiding my diamond, but I have not been flaunting it either.
Pics please..:bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My wife is a school teacher, she says no one notices her jewelry or handbags.
I am a watch enthusiast, I look at peoples wrists, I don't think many do the same. LOL
I do..:P2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My sister (we aren’t close, she’s blunt and she lives overseas) waited over 2 years to comment on my engagement ring re set.
“I hate you, I’ll never have a ring that nice”.
:-o
Perhaps if she had a more positive state of mind, she might be able to identify opportunities to achieve the things she wants? lol

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro Interesting and I am sorry others have made you question the gorgeousness of your diamond. Most people don't really care about bling.

When I first got engaged a long time ago my ring was oohed and aahhed (not a word lol) over but that's because people expect to do that when one first gets engaged. Now we are all old married ladies :lol: and no one notices the ring.

Yes occasionally I get comments but honestly I prefer not having my ring noticed. It's for me to enjoy and I don't like the attention others might show it. I want it all for myself. Yup I am that selfish lol. No seriously it embarrasses me when people notice and compliment it. I am flattered but simultaneously embarrassed. I feel perhaps guilty that I own such a gorgeous ring when others have so little. No matter the reason I would rather people not notice my ring.

Having said that I love it when other PSers comment and appreciate it as I do their beautiful bling. But that is because we are kindred bling spirits and get it. We are bling sisters. That is the difference between us and everyone else who isn't a bling lover and PSer.

There is no right or wrong though and whatever works for you. Just know that your ring is beautiful. It really is.:love:

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
I've been wanting to post this very same thing for months now. I got engaged three months ago. I thought when I got my ring I would hear the oh's and ah's. Nothing. My mother and brother did but that's it. Co-workers would say let me see your ring and then nothing. I must say prior to ring shopping myself, I really don't think I paid attention to rings and probably never commented either. So I'm going to chalk it up to that.

I had ONE person did I clean my ring that day. Of course I had, (side note I clean it every morning ) but when I asked why, she said she had never seen a diamond "shine" like mine. I'm almost inclined to believe she was implying it wasn't real..

I also had ONE guy (co-worker/friend) who liked my ring so much that he told me he was about to propose to his girlfriend (co-worker/friend as well) and was headed to the mall to get a ring. He thought my ring costs $3k and he could go buy something along the same lines. I persuaded him to go talk to WF (he lives in Houston), give them his budget and what he wanted. I really didn't think he would do it. Well, I got an email from my WF representative thanking me for the referral. He ended up spending more than 3K but he got a beautiful ring and will be proposing this weekend on a cruise.

All this to say, I believe only PS enthusiasts and people about to get engage or upgrade their ring really even pays attention to rings (jewelry period). So now I'm no longer offended. My ring is for my enjoyment and for the commitment it stands for. Who cares if anyone else oh's and ah's...

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All this to say, I believe only PS enthusiasts and people about to get engage or upgrade their ring really even pays attention to rings (jewelry period). So now I'm no longer offended. My ring is for my enjoyment and for the commitment it stands for. Who cares if anyone else oh's and ah's...
I think this hits the nail on the head - most people just don't even notice unless you're wearing a doorknob that's blinding them with sparkles, lol, and perhaps they would think such a ring is costume jewellery so wouldn't say anything about it??

Or maybe they are somewhat jealous and refuse to acknowledge your ring or compliment you on it?

Either way, ultimately we have no idea what others think and have no control over what they think, so let them crack on with it and we can spend our limited energy living our lives in the best way possible ;-) :))

Great news that your colleague got down to WF and picked up an awesome stone, though, that is cool! Hopefully his other half will thank you if you ever meet them :) lol

Dcrafty1

Shiny_Rock
Great news that your colleague got down to WF and picked up an awesome stone, though, that is cool! Hopefully his other half will thank you if you ever meet them :) lol

Fortunately, I'm friends/colleagues with both of them. I've known her much longer than him. I'm not sure if he will tell her or not. She was also one that never said oh or ah'd over my ring. I'm thinking she must of said something to him privately for him to tell me he was about to buy a ring like mine from the mall. While mine is round he choose to go with Princess cut because when he first met her she was wearing a tiara (not sure why LOL) and told him she was a princess.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do notice people eyeballing Bella, then they quickly look away, embarrassed that they’ve been caught :lol:

None of my friends have said anything, they know I like jewellery, and here in the UK, Bella is quite a rarity.

I have had 2 women (similar age to me) saying , “wow, can I see your gorgeous ring” and ask me about it. On Monday, I took jewellery to get up to date valuations, and the valuer was really impressed with Bella and commented how rarely she gets to see such beautiful old cuts.

Honestly, I don’t care what people think and whether they comment, I’m just happy to have such a lovely ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results