shape
carat
color
clarity

How good does cut have to be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mike

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I'm new to diamonds but I have spent a lot of time doing research in my quest for a princess cut diamond. I've determined my minimum color, clarity, and size that I'll settle for, and I've realized that cut quality is very important. So I have found different dealers that have sections on their web site for their elite high quality cut princess cut diamonds, and some other dealers that are looking for me.

All things being equal(size, color, clarity) my question is:

Would the average person with his naked eye be able to tell the difference between one high quality cut diamond and another?

I was told there comes a point when you can't tell the difference. If so then I don't have to worry so much about getting the highest quality cut diamond just one that's in the premium cut catagory, granted the dealer is honest.

I'm on a budget, and I only care about beauty to the naked eye not so much the actual value or rarity.

Thanks for your input,
Mike

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Good question Mike. I hope an expert will answer you.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You ask too much of us.
We can not hold your hand and make your decisions that easy, especially with fancy cuts.
read all the info here and take a chance. There is nothing much to say to your questions.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
The best situation would be if you could see many different stones in different environment, compare them to each other and decide which one is the best for you. It is very much matter of personal taste.

You won't be able to see a difference between D and E in everyday life but the difference in price will be substantial. Same with IF, VVS and VS. Some people don't care about clarity once they cannot see inclusions with the naked eye, i.e. happy with eye-clean SI. Other won't go for less than VVS.

Unlike color and clarity, there is no generally accepted cut grading system especially for fancy shapes. However, one day such a system will be developed by GIA, or AGS, or other gemological organization. Then diamonds with highest grades will be priced high on the market.

On the other hand, today you might find a fancy diamond of AGA grade 2 for less then grade 3. Hence you have an opportunity to get nicer stone for less.

for the expert analysis.[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results