shape
carat
color
clarity

How fatal is a fracture on the table

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dzop

Shiny_Rock
Spinel I'm looking at. It's otherwise exactly what I want. Has a major fracture on the table. Is this a killer? The stone is priced at approximately 20% of what it would cost if it were clean. The fracture is oriented almost perfectly perpendicular to the table.

Is this a no go? It's not a particularly big stone. Worried about durability of the stone, ability to clean, etc. Also would like to know how much a bad fracture like this should alter the value of the stone.

EDIT: Note, this is a -fracture-, not an inclusion.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Can you post a photo of the stone? There are many types of fractures. If it''s a surface reaching fracture I would avoid the stone at any price (even free) since it would not be worth the cost of setting it in jewelry.

The concept of "inclusion" and "fracture" are not entirely separate. Some internal fractures create feather-like inclusions. Some fractures are stress fractures around included crystals. All internal fractures tend to reduce the strength of the stone and usually affect the transmission of light as well.

dzop

Shiny_Rock
It is a surface reaching fracture. I thought the difference b/w an inclusion and a fracture was that a fracture reached the surface...

Picture below. The video on the store''s website shows that it reaches the surface, because you can see the line on the surface when the table catches the light.

1071A002A.jpg

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
With photos (and videos) of transparent stones, it''s not always possible to tell if a fracture reaches the surface, since cracks inside the stone can appear to be at the surface.

The best thing is to ask the dealer if this is really a surface-reaching fracture. It is actually quite unusual for spinel with surface-reaching fractures to be offered for sale, since they are regarded as seriously defective.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the vendor states that the it is a surface reaching fracture, it doesn''t have much value because it will most likely affect the structural integrity of the stone.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
The stone is gorgeous- i love the vibrant color. For me if it reaches the surface it is a no go deal. I would really question the durability of the gemstone as well with any surface fracture. I know it is hard to pass on something you really love but i would hold out for something else. Hopefully you will find something else soon.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me if it reaches the surface of the gem it is a deal breaker. Check with the vendor and then be prepared to walk away. Structural integrity is at stake. HTH

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results