shape
carat
color
clarity

How durable are black ceramic bands/rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbraves17

Rough_Rock
Anyone have any info or links to info on ceramic bands? Was told by a mall jewler that these are more durable and scratch resistant than tungsten bands. He stated they rank about 9 on a scale of 1-10, where tungsten rates at about a 7.

I have been unable to find any info on the net that really gives any detailed information about ceramic.

Would love to know more about it. Really liked the look and feel of it.

Thanks

JB

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ceramic is extremely hard. just don''t drop it.

snuggles1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 7:42:08 PM
Author:jbraves17
Anyone have any info or links to info on ceramic bands? Was told by a mall jewler that these are more durable and scratch resistant than tungsten bands. He stated they rank about 9 on a scale of 1-10, where tungsten rates at about a 7.

I have been unable to find any info on the net that really gives any detailed information about ceramic.

Would love to know more about it. Really liked the look and feel of it.

Thanks

JB

It actually depends on the clay and firing temperature. Porcelain and stonewear are the most durable clay bodies. Then there are earthenwares that are fired at lower temperatures and more brittle (you can't usually put these types of dishes in the dishwasher or microwave).

Honestly, I've never heard of clay rings before. Beads and pendants, yes. Rings, no.

I personally wouldn't do it as think about your porcelain dish hitting the ground and all the shards flying out. I figure that if you break it, it'll break into your hand. What jeweler was this? I'd actually like to take a look at them myself being a clay person and all.

kboggs315

Shiny_Rock
My husband has two wedding bands.. and one is a black ceramic. He loved the feel and comfort of it. To our understanding, it is made with the same material used in machines... and therefore extremely strong. I did a little research and found this...

What is Black Ceramic?

If you think “ceramic” means small clay figurines sculpted in high school art classes that become fragile items of questionable beauty, then you need to hear about Hi-Tech Ceramic.

Well known for toughness, durability and scratch resistance, Hi-Tech Ceramic is created by combining the newest technologies with exotic alternative materials like zirconium and yittra, along with specialized bonding agents. The result is a superior structural ceramic material with almost unlimited potential that stays polished forever! It has long been the material of choice for the aerospace, medical and dental industries. Recent engineering applications include tiles for the space shuttle program, gas burner nozzles, kiln-linings, bio-medical implants, jet-engine turbine blades, and ballistic protection.

Frequently compared to tungsten carbide because of its extreme hardness, Hi-Tech Ceramic doesn’t scratch, craze, discolor, or fade. It is hypoallergenic, contains no cobalt, and is greatly resistant to chipping and breakage. Wedding bands made from Hi-Tech Ceramic are lighter in weight than tungsten, providing a more comfortable fit for the wearer, and can be produced in many high-gloss colors. Black Ceramic wedding bands are a sophisticated choice for a durable wedding band or fashionable accessory.

Why choose Black Ceramic over Black Tungsten?

Tungesten carbide is only produced in one color range: steel grey. Black tungsten wedding bands are really just grey tungsten wedding bands painted with a black industrial coating. This coating is only on the surface and doesn’t change the natural grey color of the tungsten--it just covers it up. Although these industrial coatings are very durable, they don’t match the strength or scratch resistance of tungsten, so they eventually scratch and chip, exposing the grey tungsten underneath. Black Ceramic wedding bands are black all the way through. In the unlikely event that a Black Ceramic ring would ever scratch or chip, it would only expose more of the colorfast material underneath.

btw... i like this pic but its my old setting, my new setting is prettier. lol. And, he is wearing a much nicer band too...a black titanium engraved with the infinity symbol. but.. it shows his black ceramic so i posted it.

wedding_199selectivecolorsmall.JPG

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i purchased three ceramic rings from a company named bernardaud a year or so ago. they are women''s fashion rings highlighted with 24 karat gold. one is cobalt blue with a gold line around both sides of the shank. the others are bittersweet colored with gold stripes across the body of the ring. all three are dome shaped.

i have worn them a few times. they are extremely comfortable and i did not feel worried about breakage wearing them. i did not pay a lot for them but do think they are a nice alternative to what i usually wear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results