shape
carat
color
clarity

How Does Your Garden Grow?

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I have a row of endless summer hydrangeas under my bedroom window. Half are pink and the other half are blue. Go figure. I don''t give them anything but some cow manure in the spring.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 1:13:53 PM
Author: packrat
23.gif
OMG what zone are those for Gailey? My parents have the orangish reddish ones and pink ones but I''ve never seen blue!!
Aren''t they amazing!

Here are some Meconopsis links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meconopsis
http://www.meconopsis.org/
http://www.meconopsis.ca/

As to what zone they are suitable for, I have seen them growing here in Calgary (3b) for people who go to extraordinary lengths to acidify their soil. I think depending on the species you opt for, a high elevation will also work well. That said, I have seen great swathes of them growing in British Columbia at sea level.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dang, I''ve got to check those out-they are goooorgeous! We''re zone 4. I didn''t know it was broken down to letters too, so I''m not sure what letter we are.

Hey, I put up a thread in Hangout of yard pictures, Gailey-will you check it out pretty please oh great gardening One?

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 7:06:44 PM
Author: gardengloves

Thanks so much Gailey. I''m going to try the bone meal this weekend.

I love blue hygrangeas too, don''t get me wrong, and have Nikko blues, and love them, but these guys are are royal purple something or other.

They are three years old, planted from a 3 '' pots, super healthy, grow like gangbusters, never wilt and are now- drum roll ---- ( just measured ) 4 feet tall---- the blue is deepening. But you may be right the area was ''top dressed'' with something, the dust from cutting marble. When we did the bathroom reno from Oct - Feb, the driveway outside this bed was the staging area for cutting the marble tile. The dust ran off into the bed when it rained or we hosed off, really bleached the driveway, and this run off completely saturated this bed.. i think that may have contributed to the change in color. Thanks again, Gailey, I''m going to see if the bone meal helps bring back the purple tones.

Man, those blue flowers you posted are gorgeous.
I don''t think the marble would be responsible. If anything it would make the soil more alkaline, not acidic. Have you put any mulch of any description down?

My advice would be to get a soil test first before you start amending the soil. See what you are up against.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 11:17:13 PM
Dang, I''ve got to check those out-they are goooorgeous! We''re zone 4. I didn''t know it was broken down to letters too, so I''m not sure what letter we are.

Hey, I put up a thread in Hangout of yard pictures, Gailey-will you check it out pretty please oh great gardening One?
Can''t wait! Off for a look-see now.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2010 11:27:28 PM
Author: Gailey

Date: 6/14/2010 11:17:13 PM

Can''t wait! Off for a look-see now.
Packrat, honestly, you have done such an awesome job and for newbs, I think it is incredible work. I''m not sure if I believe you.

I long to create Berberis hedges. It''s too much of a risk to do it for clients here in Calgary because we get too much winter-kill, but once I move to Ontario, I am going to have a formal kitchen garden edged with low Berberis hedges. Great design idea - well done!

Your hosta beds are sublime too. Not a bit of slug damage in sight. I do have one note of caution though. When raised beds are built around the base of trees and the soil level raised up around the base of the trunk, over time it can rot the outer bark (See Root Collar Disorders). The outer bark of a tree protects the layer immediately beneath it called the Cambian Layer. The cambian layer gives life to the tree. If this is damaged extensively, the tree will evenutally die.

This is not to say that you cannot have raised beds around the bases of your trees, but you need to slope the soil upwards away from the root collar. If you did mound soil around the base of the trees, then gently move it away from the base. Try not to disturb the bark. If you are in any doubt about any damage you may have done consult a Certified Arborist.

You have both done such a wonderful job, I hate to make a negative comment, but I would also hate to see you lose your trees.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
7.gif
I don''t want to lose our trees either! The first link didn''t work but the last one showed a few certified arborists about 30 minutes to 1 hour away, tho none were listed as for hire.

I''ll go look and see how far up the dirt goes around the trees..I know it''s deeper in the middle towards the outside b/c that''s where we planted. Most of what''s up against the tree is wood chip mulch we do when mom and dad prune their windbreak.

The one tree doesn''t have anything around it other than the bed, so as long as the dirt isn''t too high on the trunk, maybe it will be ok? The other one tho, has bricks around 3/4 of it. Shoot..well, I guess that''s a good way to tell we''re amateurs!

I''ll have to check stuff out..I hate to think we did something that will kill off one or both of my trees!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Packrat, try Googling Root Collar Disorders and you will find information. The original link is below. Mulch will cause the problem almost as much as soil will. Good thing about mulch is that it is easier to remove. Basically, anything moist up against the trunk will add to the problem. Mulch is better than soil because it is less dense and will allow a certain amount of air to penetrate, although it does pack down over time.

The thing people rarely realise about trees (and the trunk in particular) is that the tree breathes through pores in the bark called Lenticels. Prevent this exchange of gasses from occuring and in time the tree will suffocate.

http://www.onlinegardener.com/care/Root%20collar%20disorders.pdf

The good news is that if your trees appear to be healthy in all other respects, then chances are you have not caused permenant damage and will be ok if you take remedial action now. Maybe Mr Packy could build an inner wood frame to sit around the trunk to prevent material from your raised bed hitting the trunk. Also, watch while you are watering not to get water on the base of the trunk. A soaker hose around the base of the hostas would be a good idea.

I am just out of the door now. Today is peony staking day! And I have to do it in the rain!! When I get in I will post a picture of what I did with my own fence.

I do just want to reinforce what I said earlier though, I honestly think you have done a magnificent job and I think it important to emphasise that amongst all this talk of potential root collar problems.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

If you feel comfortable posting the state you live in, tonight I can try and find some further education classes in your area that might interest you. I can also try and find someone that you can ask specific advice from.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
We''re in NW Iowa. I *think*, based on what JD and I remember (I drug him outside today to ask him about the trees) that the trees should be ok, but I do still want to check to make sure. Even if it''s something that say, 5, 10 years down the road, the tree is going to start suffering, I''d rather take steps to prevent that now than put it off and then we have to cut one/both down.

The beds are only about 6 inches off the ground (so hopefully that''s not too high!), and most of the dirt is on the outside/middle where we planted, and then the landscape timbers on top hold the mulch in. I''m the culprit w/the mulch-I pile it on b/c it hides the dirt at the base of the tree, and the parts of the roots that come up out of the ground. (tho now, the hostas are gigantic and their leaves hide that stuff mostly anyway) Guess I''ll be quitting that habit!

Thursday I''ll go out if it''s not raining and dig the mulch/dirt away from the base of the trees in a few spots and see what it looks like. I''m glad you said something about it Gailey-I thought I was helping protect the tree w/all the mulch and had no clue they breathed thru their bark.

Gardening w/Gailey 101 haha!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Packrat
If it interests you and you have the time, you could train to become a Master Gardener. The other advantage to this organisation is you can also approach them for advice. Master Gardeners volunteer. Ours can be found at the zoo in the summer for instance. If they cannot help you directly, they may well be able to point you in the direction of a reputable certified arborist for advice. BTW, the certified bit is important. Certified arborists know far more about tree health than just arborists. Anyone can buy a saw and call themselves an arborist. Beware.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Fences? Gailey''s answer to what to do with fences is to cover them. In fact, I don''t think I ever met a fence I didn''t smother with something.

Mind you I guess you might feel differently if you personally built the fence.

There are fences under there somewhere!

How to dress a fence.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love this thread! It is so cool to see stuff from all over. Those blue poppies are amazing, wish I could grow them. I have a few pics to share and some advice needed from you awesome gardeners but I will get to that. First pic is our side garden we have had for years, just last year I moved and divided a bunch of stuff, the cone flower volunteers and the varigated grass were attempting to take over the world and the william baffin rose that I planted under a 4 foot tall over hang decided it should be 11 feet tall so you get the picture, haircut time!

rsz_img_1288.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
These next 2 pics are of our new gardens, we used to have a above ground pool and that is now gone, we had a border along one edge of the vedgie garden and we just added the 2 beds with a walkway between them , the pics are from each corner and the vedgie garden is through the arbor, it looks fairly pathetic cause everything is small, I have to work very hard to not cram everything together and leave room for growth, I always buy the smallest plants so they are cheaper. I feel like the gardens lack scale or height maybe? I know all the plants will get larger but I think it needs something and am thinking about some kind of hedge? extending the beds on each side and bordering it with? The vedgie garden has a lilac hedge along one side (a smaller variety) I would like something different, I like evergreens but am not sure what kind to use, I had tried a privet in another area of the yard and they froze out so any thoughts? We are zone 3/4. Thanks!

rsz_1img_1177.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
from the other corner

rsz_img_1178.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Last one, don''t want to be a thread hog! This is just my husbands planter next to his pole shed door, (thats right, he gets a planter I get the rest) for some reason he thinks marigolds are the worlds best flower and plants them every year, this year he added a guard gargoyle.

Gailey, you make me think I need fences!!!

rsz_img_1174.jpg

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Great pics Icom. PR- the best thing about being a master gardener is access to tons of advice and lots of free plants. I also really enjoy the volunteer work, but I''m retired.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Icom, I would love to help you. I am rained off today and housebound because the painter is starting to paint the inside of my house today.

What a wonderful space you have.

I have a few questions:
Do you have any prevailing wind patterns that are an issue?

I''m guessing the space you have shown is at the back of the house, can you post a picture taken from inside the house at view you most look out on?

I''d like to get a sense of where these new beds are in relation to the house and how you approach them.

Do you get a lot of snow cover in the winter?

Do you have children who play in the garden?

From the pictures, it suggests to me that you like a semi-formal style of garden, would that be correct?

You have the space to be able to build dedicated spaces and beds, such as a veg garden that you already have, a rose garden perhaps, a winter garden etc. etc. Let me know if that sort of thing interests you.

Do you have other trees than the ones shown in the background?

I think Mr Icom''s marigolds are precious. I love them and if the slugs didn''t, I''d put more in. I have one garden that I do who has a combination of orange marigolds and brown leafed red begonias every year and I think it''s a fabulous combo.

marigold combo.jpg

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 10:46:53 AM
Author: lulu
Great pics Icom. PR- the best thing about being a master gardener is access to tons of advice and lots of free plants. I also really enjoy the volunteer work, but I''m retired.
Good for you Lulu.

When I decided to turn professional, I took the Master Gardener course. Frankly I did it to get a bit of local credibility. But my goodness did I learn a lot. Specifically stuff that related to gardening in my own locality, which in many respects is always different. I made some really good life-long friends.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gailey, you are awesome! I should be painting my house instead of sitting on the computer! I showed my husband your marigold pic, I love the colors and he thought it was great! Makes me see them in a whole new light.

Our house faces west and the garden is behind the house but to the north side, we have almost 6 acres, the back 4 are solid woods and the front has scattered trees, the garden has a willow to the east of it towards the woods, it does not overhang the garden yet but is close, the pic I am posting is of the house from under the willow, (you can see my kayaks under the deck) we look down on the garden from the upper deck off the back of the house and then straight back from the lower deck is the gazebo you can see in the other pics past the garden.

We are in minnesota so yes we get snow cover, no wind issues to speak of and kids do play in the back, I love formal english gardens, I struggle so to grow lavender here! (I am not winning the struggle)

I do have other gardens but I did not want to be a thread hog, a shade garden that needs serious weeding, a rose hedge, a front sun garden that is new and then a hedged in patio in front.

rsz_img_1161.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a pic from standing under the arbor, straight to the left of me is the willow I was standing under for the last pic and then you can see we have a large willow straight down from me in the yard to the left of that is the gazebo then on the right you can see the decks. Where the green space is at the end of the garden below the deck is where the pool was, what a eyesore but the kids loved it and I have to say I will miss it now that it is getting warm and I miss looking down at the blue water, mmmm maybe a pond.

rsz_img_1292.jpg

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Icom-it's already beautiful! Is that catmint?

Gailey- the other MG's are some of my best friends too. Gardeners are nurturing by nature.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ladies,

I don't know where to reply first. amazing photos. thank you all.

Gailey, girl you do know what to do with a fence. Gorgeous....

Icom, we can never have enough photos, thank you for sharing. I love your garden and as Gailey says it does look semi formal, reminds me of wandering English gardens. I love those rectangular beds and the topiaries you put in for height. Don't worry about looking full, it looks great now, if it really bugs you put in some annuals, but let the major pieces grow.

Lulu, we must have pictures of your gardens!!

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 4:45:30 PM
Author: lcom
Here is a pic from standing under the arbor, straight to the left of me is the willow I was standing under for the last pic and then you can see we have a large willow straight down from me in the yard to the left of that is the gazebo then on the right you can see the decks. Where the green space is at the end of the garden below the deck is where the pool was, what a eyesore but the kids loved it and I have to say I will miss it now that it is getting warm and I miss looking down at the blue water, mmmm maybe a pond.

Yep, right here with ya! a little wading reflecting pond would be gorgeous!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 4:10:36 PM
Gailey, you are awesome! I should be painting my house instead of sitting on the computer! I showed my husband your marigold pic, I love the colors and he thought it was great! Makes me see them in a whole new light.

Our house faces west and the garden is behind the house but to the north side, we have almost 6 acres, the back 4 are solid woods and the front has scattered trees, the garden has a willow to the east of it towards the woods, it does not overhang the garden yet but is close, the pic I am posting is of the house from under the willow, (you can see my kayaks under the deck) we look down on the garden from the upper deck off the back of the house and then straight back from the lower deck is the gazebo you can see in the other pics past the garden.

We are in minnesota so yes we get snow cover, no wind issues to speak of and kids do play in the back, I love formal english gardens, I struggle so to grow lavender here! (I am not winning the struggle)

I do have other gardens but I did not want to be a thread hog, a shade garden that needs serious weeding, a rose hedge, a front sun garden that is new and then a hedged in patio in front.
You certainly won''t be a thread hog, I am sure we would all love to see the garden spaces you have created.

You are correct about the scale issue. Your beds are either too small or too few. You have the perfect space too build a Parterre. I''ve searched for some images to show you, but can''t find any that wouldn''t scare you to death! I''m not on top of my game tonight though.

If the concept interests you, I could do a rough sketch (I''m hopeless at drawing, but I''ll give it a go).

The other thing that occurs to me is that you could have a large rectangular formal pond, with herbaceous borders around it. Hope Mr Icom doesn''t want to string me up for suggesting he dig out the pool area somewhat to put a pond in.

Third idea would be sort of a combination of the two. Smaller formal pond in the middle of essentially a square divided into four quadrants. If you were really adventurous for it, you could incorporate a Rill

If you would prefer to expand on what you already have, I can help you with that too. I just need to know the direction you would like to go in.

I can certainly help you with planting ideas. you and I share the same zone, almost.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 9:28:19 PM
Hi Ladies,

I don''t know where to reply first. amazing photos. thank you all.

Icom, we can never have enough photos, thank you for sharing. I love your garden and as Gailey says it does look semi formal, reminds me of wandering English gardens. I love those rectangular beds and the topiaries you put in for height. Don''t worry about looking full, it looks great now, if it really bugs you put in some annuals, but let the major pieces grow.

Thanks GG. Not sure Icom should think about building fences just to gain a third dimension and grow climbers though. Fences are functional structures erectecd to divide areas. I think they would look out of place.

However, take a look at Agriframes. Their structures would be the perfect way to introduce height and to define areas. I know they have a distributor in the US somewhere.

I agree with GG about filling out bare spots with annuals while things grow into their spaces.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 9:31:21 PM

Date: 6/16/2010 4:45:30 PM

Yep, right here with ya! a little wading reflecting pond would be gorgeous!
Nope! Go bigger or go home as they say here in Alberta. Nothing too small, it will get lost in all that space.

And GG, I heartily agree with your comment to Lulu. Please post pictures Lulu.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 10:00:38 PM
Date: 6/16/2010 4:10:36 PM

You certainly won''t be a thread hog, I am sure we would all love to see the garden spaces you have created.

You are correct about the scale issue. Your beds are either too small or too few. You have the perfect space too build a Parterre. I''ve searched for some images to show you, but can''t find any that wouldn''t scare you to death! I''m not on top of my game tonight though.

If the concept interests you, I could do a rough sketch (I''m hopeless at drawing, but I''ll give it a go).

The other thing that occurs to me is that you could have a large rectangular formal pond, with herbaceous borders around it. Hope Mr Icom doesn''t want to string me up for suggesting he dig out the pool area somewhat to put a pond in.

Third idea would be sort of a combination of the two. Smaller formal pond in the middle of essentially a square divided into four quadrants. If you were really adventurous for it, you could incorporate a Rill

If you would prefer to expand on what you already have, I can help you with that too. I just need to know the direction you would like to go in.

I can certainly help you with planting ideas. you and I share the same zone, almost.

a parterre,, how fantastic.

A rill, very good, but I was thinking a classic round or rectangular reflecting pool at the end of the arbor walk.

gardengloves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 10:08:26 PM
Date: 6/16/2010 9:28:19 PM

Hi Ladies,

I don't know where to reply first. amazing photos. thank you all.

Icom, we can never have enough photos, thank you for sharing. I love your garden and as Gailey says it does look semi formal, reminds me of wandering English gardens. I love those rectangular beds and the topiaries you put in for height. Don't worry about looking full, it looks great now, if it really bugs you put in some annuals, but let the major pieces grow.

Thanks GG. Not sure Icom should think about building fences just to gain a third dimension and grow climbers though. Fences are functional structures erectecd to divide areas. I think they would look out of place.

However, take a look at Agriframes. Their structures would be the perfect way to introduce height and to define areas. I know they have a distributor in the US somewhere.

I agree with GG about filling out bare spots with annuals while things grow into their spaces.

Hey Gailey,

I meant your fences are fantastic, sorry about the confusion. Ageed, Icom doesn't need any,

Gailey, your gardening skills are amazing, I love all your input.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2010 10:16:32 PM

a parterre,, how fantastic.

A rill, very good, but I was thinking a classic round or rectangular reflecting pool at the end of the arbor walk.
Actually I do like that idea and the walkway is wide enough between the two beds to incorporate a Rill as well as the pond at the end. I think though that the overall space is big enough and could see those two beds become 4 with a further two on the other side of the reflecting pond. Maybe another arbor at the far end as well.

Thank you for your kind comments GG. Lulu hit the nail on the head, gardeners like to share what they do and what they have learned.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! I got called in to work the night shift and look what happens! These ideas are fantastic, first off Thank you Lulu, there is catmint in there, and ditto the request to please post pics of your garden.

Gailey and Gardengloves, Thank you so much for your very kind words and input! After I read this then I had to go google a rill and partere, yes a little overwhelming! I then spent about an hour on a website about East Leach House in Glocestershire, beautiful!

I like the idea of a pond, I had been thinking about a small circle knot garden at the end of the path or maybe something with a fountain in it, I have a few issues with shape and couldn''t decide if it should be round to encourage flow of traffic around it or square to continue the square edged theme, but now I am liking the suggestion of a pond within a rectangle bed. My husband bought a bobcat a few years ago "to clear snow you know" well it has mostly taken up space, he has spread some dirt for me on occasion but I think he would love to dig a hole! Would you make the space the equal width as the bed at the other end? making the paths a capital I?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results