shape
carat
color
clarity

how does white vs rose gold look unpolished?

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I have been hunting for a comparison but haven't had much luck except for seeing ArjunaJane's gorgeous OEC in the process. So, I just want to know what a standard ER looks like after casting but before polishing for both white gold, and rose gold.

Thanks

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
thanks Yssie, can (or anyone else) tell me whether this looks like unfinished white gold or is it unfinished rose gold? I think it looks like white but then there is a bronze kind of undertone, so perhaps it's rose ... interested in your thoughts. I am waiting on confirmation from the but in the meantime am just being impatient and intrigued!! PS the prongs are Platinum

Thanks

Unfinished white or rose.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is finished. Are you by chance meaning unplated? Because the ring you are showing is finished and was probably rhodium plated. It is most likely a white gold ring where the rhodium is wearing off. White gold unplated is a light yellow gold. The head is appears to be white metal so it could be platinum or white gold where the rhodium has not worn off. Or else the shank part is unplated white gold and was not rhodium plated. It clearly has been polished, though, so I don't think it appears unfinished.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like white gold to me but dont know where the pinkish cast is coming from?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I reread and saw that you said the head is platinum. The rest is white gold. They wouldn't have plated rose gold, I don't think.

Jim Summa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Loveit
I am guessing that it was Rhodium plated over yellow gold. It appears to have been done years ago and then not worn for awhile because it has an almost "oxidized" look around the setting, almost as if it was in storage for awhile.
Sooo, be interested in what you find out!

loveloveloveit

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, thanks for all your help guys. The one thing I now know is that it is an 18k white gold setting, not finished completely and not yet rhodium plated. It is still a work in progress but I will keep you posted with how it looks when finished.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, that makes sense. It is clearly polished some but it just doesn't have the rhodium yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results