shape
carat
color
clarity

How does this cut look? ( moissanite )

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was reading on a different website ( not sure it is against the rules to name the site ) and they said that moissianite company is making a new moissanite brand/cut that is supposed to look better.

someone posted an example of it but I don't know any more than what is there. they said it was coming out this summer? has anyone heard of a new moissanite coming out that isn't supposed to be cut like most moissanite ( which is very poorly )
here is the video they linked but of course no stats .
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rwt4ervc195s1u/video.mp4?dl=0

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert but it looks beautiful to me!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Am I crazy or does the cut really show off the fact it is double refractive. It almost looks at certain angles like there are white railroad tracks or something?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think it is pretty enough too. Lots of colors all over.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you link where you found this info? I'm interested in reading more!

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, it looks terrific and crisp when viewed straight-on to the face, but once it rotates to where the view is at an angle, the double-refraction becomes screamingly obvious - it's so blurry I almost got dizzy looking at it! There's nothing new about cuts that minimize the double refraction face-on - the Amora Gem, Rhino's AV moissy, and Schubach's Radiance moissy are all cut to minimize, if not eliminate, seeing the double refraction face-on, and Erica at LAD says she sees no double refraction face-on in the antique cut moissy she sells. When the stone is angled a bit, though, is when it becomes visible and can look hazy/milky. In my experience with the moissy I have, this is more obvious in larger stones and fancy cuts, and less so in rounds, antique cuts, and smaller stones. That said, though, the hearts and arrows look really nice in the video. Maybe they chose to emphasize accuracy of cutting for the face-on view and less on the double refraction. It's certainly possible also that some of the blurriness was due to video quality, etc. I probably shouldn't jump to too many conclusions yet based on one video.

I'm also interested to read more! :))

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm starting to think that double refraction doesn't bother me, a good example is my moissy can look very disco queen but I love it.

So @tkyasx78, you should probably listen to these other posters if you are looking for a moissy that doesn't look like it went to a rave :lol-2:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
F2D71423-5F2E-4C07-B0FF-8969163EC58F.jpeg This is what was mentioned on the “other site” I dont know if I am allowed to mention competing sites.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Face-on it looks great. Not so much from the side. Bezeled earrings would be great.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed moissaniteco.com
They replied!

49C9CE1B-3B10-49D3-8C92-6CFB3A39F4F2.jpeg

Thanks for the info! I was trying to figure out who was doing this---moissyCo vs. C&C vs. someone else. I like moissyCo from my historical interactions with them, and Chris is usually quick to respond. I'm excited to see what they do!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do all moissanites look hazy from some angles? Is it the video being out of focus? To buy one I would want them to look sharp in all lights and angles otherwise Id have to name it jeckyll and hyde.

Rpb

Shiny_Rock
It looks very crisp to me. I wonder how these would compare to say Amora gems?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wrote back asking about certification and pricing

D4C4EB53-1CB2-4268-AF53-2AD4E5087360.jpeg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed moissaniteco.com
They replied!

49C9CE1B-3B10-49D3-8C92-6CFB3A39F4F2.jpeg
Somewhat amusingly, ultra-tight cutting tolerances (like on the Octavia cut) have to be done by eye, because the machines don't go to that level of accuracy needed :lol:

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do all moissanites look hazy from some angles? Is it the video being out of focus? To buy one I would want them to look sharp in all lights and angles otherwise Id have to name it jeckyll and hyde.

From my experience, yes, all of the ones I've seen have at least a little haziness from some angles - some more than others, depending upon the brand, size, and shape. I haven't seen all the brands in person, though. I have, however, pored over videos of every brand that I know of, and have been able to see it to some extent at some angles in all of them. I keep hoping one will come to market that doesn't have it at all and matches the level of depth and crispness we see in a well-cut diamond, but I'm not sure that's possible - it may just be a limitation of the SiC material. That's not to say that some, like the AV moissy, don't come really close. I'm probably just being ridiculously picky/compulsive/perfectionist! :think:

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My diamonds are always crisp and sharp , regardless of the angle or lighting... I would hope a well cut moissanite would be free of the issue finally.
I have only seen one moissanite in person before and it. Literally had almost no girdle at all!
The video of the new cut coming looks like there is a girdle though so maybe!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve got 5 moissanites - 1 C&C OEC, 2 Schubach OECs and most recently 2 high dome rose cuts from JuliaB. The rose cuts are the new type of moissy (4H?) and the OECs are the older type. I can see the double refraction in the OECs but have only once seen it in the rose cuts - at my jewellers when I picked up my toi et moi (which was a mildly upsetting moment cos I really didn’t love that!). I haven’t seen it since tho. The double refraction in the OECs is just a bit of blurriness sometimes from the side but they’re in earrings and a bezelled necklace so it doesn’t bother me since they’re bright, sparkly and fiery which is all I need them to be.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@foxinsox ... I'm so tempted by the juliab rosecuts ( for earrings). I once bought rosecut cz that looked great in pics but meh in real life. Do you like the rosecuts?

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox ... I'm so tempted by the juliab rosecuts ( for earrings). I once bought rosecut cz that looked great in pics but meh in real life. Do you like the rosecuts?
I love them! They’re high dome, sculptural and full of rainbows. I love big flashes so these are totally in my wheelhouse as they’ve got huge triangular facets. I’d never seen a rose cut before these so didn’t realise that as well as the triangular facets, there are star-shaped ones, and inverted triangles. I get a lot of enjoyment out of looking at them.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
FYI: Getting moissanite custom cut through JuliaB has been a nail-biting experience as I am a first time moissanite buyer. She quoted me one month for how long it would take to get them cut.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@foxinsox Thanks for the info! Sounds right up my alley too! Prismatic! Saw your photos in another post. Yum!
@molecule I bought an OEC from JB before, took 5 weeks or so. Her OEC is beautiful, but more of transitional, my opinion.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@foxinsox Thanks for the info! Sounds right up my alley too! Prismatic! Saw your photos in another post. Yum!
@molecule I bought an OEC from JB before, took 5 weeks or so. Her OEC is beautiful, but more of transitional, my opinion.
yes prismatic! That’s the right word. My rosies were ~6 weeks if I recall as it was over the new year holidays. I love her jubilee cut and was also super tempted by her double-sided rose cuts for some dangle earrings but you’re right about her OECs, they definitely look more tranny.
Currently thinking v hard about a Golden Bird OEC moissy. Don’t really need it. But want it!!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@foxinsox oh, yes, to the jubilee too! That would go in a pendant-- hung on a long enough chain that I could just sit and play with it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results