shape
carat
color
clarity

How Does One Identify Real Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
So, all of this reading and learning about diamonds and colored stones has got me wondering.

When appraising some jewelry, how does one determine the type of metal used on a ring? I mean, if you look at the rings that I have, they''re all stamped with ??K or "750", "333", etc., but how can one tell that this is *real* gold, and that the purity is actually the same as what is stated on the peice?

What about with silver, platinum, etc?

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
You can always tell real gold because when you lick it it tastes like strawberries. So next time you're in a jewelry store try it. You'll be glad you did!
twirl.gif

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Well, I don't know about licking gold jewelry and having them taste like strawberries. I just licked my 24K, 18K, and 14K jewelry and I hate to say that I picked the wrong flavor since they all don't taste like strawberry.
naughty.gif
No seriously, I think all real gold jewelry has to be marked with a label of gold authenticity of 10K or 417 (10 parts gold + 14 parts of other metal), 14K or 585 (14 parts gold + 10 parts of other metal), 18K or 750 (18 parts gold + 6 parts other metals), and 24K (99% pure gold + 1% or less of other metals); just like platinum can show 950, 900, PT, PLAT. On some 24K jewelry which is deemed most valuable by some or most Asian cultures, they may have the stamp 99.999 purity number and maybe some Chinese character for gold. If you are doubtful then you can take that jewelry you bought from one place and have it verified or appraised at another jewelry store or independent appraiser to get a second opinion. Hope this information helps. Also you may want to check out this website.
http://daysjewelers.com/gold.cfm
P.S. I am not pushing for this jewelry store since I don't know them. I just thought they had an excellent gold description for you to view.
Good Luck!
wavey.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 1/16/2004 2:38:13 AM TooMuchInformation wrote:

So, all of this reading and learning about diamonds and colored stones has got me wondering.

When appraising some jewelry, how does one determine the type of metal used on a ring? I mean, if you look at the rings that I have, they're all stamped with ??K or '750', '333', etc., but how can one tell that this is *real* gold, and that the purity is actually the same as what is stated on the peice?

What about with silver, platinum, etc?
----------------

You can't really do it without some specialized testing that no jeweler will permit you to perform on his or her stock until you've bought it. There are electronic gold testers, but unfortunately they can't generally distinguish between plated and solid gold. One of the appraisers can elaborate on exactly what you do--I know what I've read but I've never done it myself.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Well, it originally meant that there was way too much information available for my consuption when I was purchasing an engagement ring, but now, yeah, it probably means that I ask too many questions.
1.gif

People always tease me, because I can never take things for face value, and people say I think into things WAY too much and make things way too complicated. I think they're just simplifying things. :D

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Jaded Gem and LawGem, thanks muchly for your informative responses! Much appreciated.

Jaded Gem

Shiny_Rock
Hey you're welcome.
wavey.gif
Remember, you never ask too many questions. I was recently frauded out of putting together an engagement ring that my husband had wanted me to put together so that I would be happy with the finished product. I was not happy with the finished product, posted my experience on this Pricescope forum, and got all the help that I needed to follow through with a refund.
appl.gif
Trust me, I asked a ton of questions, I thought I was a well informed consumer, and I still got frauded because I didn't know a lot about certain settings or reputable setters. Did you know that some of the "jewelery experts" will unfortunately lie or they will not fully disclose all the information about their product and the problems associated with an inappropiate setting. It is unfortunate but it happens! It happened to me.
angryfire.gif
You can never be too careful.
eek.gif

Remember you are your own best friend, and besides you are paying them! Engagement rings can be thousands and thousands of dollars. You should ask as many questions as you like. If the jeweler is not a good one (which I had the unfortunate experience of dealing with) and does not answer any of your questions then run as fast as you can. Good luck, and if it comes to buying a diamond. Buy it lose, go to an independent appraiser who does not sell jewelry, and get it verified. Best Wishes! I hope you find what you want. Most of the people on this forum are very helpful, and they will offer you advice.
2.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 1/16/2004 1:15:17 PM TooMuchInformation wrote:

Well, it originally meant that there was way too much information available for my consuption when I was purchasing an engagement ring, but now, yeah, it probably means that I ask too many questions.
1.gif

People always tease me, because I can never take things for face value, and people say I think into things WAY too much and make things way too complicated. I think they're just simplifying things. :D
----------------

Actually, it was a legitmate question. "Underkarating" of gold (e.g. selling gold that's less pure than it's marked) is a bigger problem than most consumers realize. There have been some big scandals in recent years:

http://www.jvclegal.org/t_r_florida.html

If you have any doubt about a valuable piece, you should ask an appraiser to test it.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
Jaded Gem,

Yeah, my diamond engagement ring purchase went VERY well, all thanks to Pricescope. Ended up going with a 0.98ct F Princess Cut VS2, which I got set by Absolute Titanium Design in a tension set band. My fiancee *loves* it (but I look at the diamond way more than she does, and pull the loupe out ALL the time. It took me days to find the inclusion, but I learnt a lot while doing it).

Now, I find everything about jewelry to be fascination. I'm trying to learn as much as I can, and maybe, one day, I'll retire and become an appraiser / jeweler / gemologist / etc.
1.gif

LawGem,

That was going to be my next question, as I would have been shocked if no one did over-stamp gold as something more than it really is. I'll have to hunt down an appraiser and find out HOW they can measure this.

I would assume that it would deal with density / specific gravity, but we'll have to wait and see!

Thanks again everyone.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, TooMuchInformation! I did not intent malice... Did you try the link under "have fun?" Actually, it is a jewelry supply store with all 5 or so devices I've ever known of for metal testing all lined up on one page. I was looking for a place which would explain the use of chemical tests vs. electronic devices, but could not find any. Plating and variation of alloy composition throughout the piece of jewelry are also issues you may find discussed occasionally.

Did you try Ganoskin?

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
Well, I'm allergic to fake stuff, so all I have to do is wear it and I will find out if it is real or not
1.gif

Griffin

Shiny_Rock
Lawgem - I don't have much experience with anything other than the standard acid testing, but the one electronic tester I own actually does detect plate accurately. Gold-filled confuses the hell out of it, though.
It did surprise me how well it has worked against known good items, but have no idea if there are ways to fool them...

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
valeria101,

Yeah, after digging a bit on your post, I found the following page you're referring to:

http://www.jewelrysupply.net/noframes/goldtester.htm

Interesting stuff! This is some of the things that I was looking for!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results