shape
carat
color
clarity

How does one define Rubies under the subset of the corundum family?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
I know technically a Ruby comes under the same subset as Sapphires (Corundum).

How does one draw the boundaries and define the subset ruby?
What kind of hue or saturation does a Red Sapphire needs to have before its defined as a Ruby?

There are some sapphires out there labeled "ruby or "red pink sapphire" etc etc..
Its rather confusing for a newbie.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It's confusing to those with experience also. Maybe reading THIS article will give you some pointers. But when buying, it's all down to personal preference, while certificates can certainly help. To me, ruby has to be red and I'm very sensitive to the amount of pink in a ruby.

Oh no, I think I've just initiated another technical thread on color definition...
20.gif

9.gif

EDIT: And while I was writing and copying LD posted the same link, sorry.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 4:34:31 AM
Author: ma re
It''s confusing to those with experience also. Maybe reading THIS article will give you some pointers. But when buying, it''s all down to personal preference, while certificates can certainly help. To me, ruby has to be red and I''m very sensitive to the amount of pink in a ruby.

Oh no, I think I''ve just initiated another technical thread on color definition...
20.gif

9.gif

EDIT: And while I was writing and copying LD posted the same link, sorry.
Ma re - I think haagen_dazs is guilty of initiaing this thread on color definition, so you are off the hook.
2.gif

Another interesting article to read is Ed Bristol''s "Gemstones on Photo". The ruby section begins about half-way down the article, and he has photos of rubies, and how different colors look to the camera. Link

ma re

Ideal_Rock
^ Fly Girl, no problem, I was just kidding. I know who started the thread, I just thought that my babbling might spark one of those 5 page/100 post soap operas we tend to have when such topics are brought up
1.gif

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock
There is an old saying, " to the seller, it is a ruby, to the buyer, it is a pink sapphire". In Asia, even a medium pink corundum would be called a ruby. American and Europe have the strictest definition of what is called a ruby.

With more than two decades of experience in Tucson Gem shows, I have a good idea of where to draw the line. I think this is very difficult to classify: 0.96 ct red-pink corundum. How would you classify it?

redpkcor5363.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a difficult one. One person''s definition of ruby is another''s definition of pink sapphire. To me, ruby is something with a medium to medium dark toned red stone. However, some may have a blue undertone, giving it a slightly purplish colour. Also, it can be difficult to distinguish where pink ends and red begins.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
It''s red enough for me, particularly if you want to sell it to me as a pink sapphire.
9.gif

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I think I would classify that as a sapphire as to me it is quite pink- at least on my monitor.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
^ Yup, it''s tricky to judge via computer screens, but looks like a ruby to me.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 4:11:48 PM
Author: Chrono
This is a difficult one. One person''s definition of ruby is another''s definition of pink sapphire. To me, ruby is something with a medium to medium dark toned red stone. However, some may have a blue undertone, giving it a slightly purplish colour. Also, it can be difficult to distinguish where pink ends and red begins.

is there an official lab grading method to determine where pink ends and red begins?

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/25/2009 11:55:47 PM
Author: Sarahbear621
I think I would classify that as a sapphire as to me it is quite pink- at least on my monitor.

what do you mean you would classify it as a sapphire??
TECHNICALLY they are ALL sapphires
red or pink

What is the history behind the terminology RUBY?
Who came up with that word and its messing things up =p
Pink Yellow Blue Sapphires do not have their own special names.......

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/26/2009 10:32:44 PM
Author: haagen_dazs

Date: 10/25/2009 11:55:47 PM
Author: Sarahbear621

what do you mean you would classify it as a sapphire??
TECHNICALLY they are ALL sapphires
red or pink

What is the history behind the terminology RUBY?
Who came up with that word and its messing things up =p
Pink Yellow Blue Sapphires do not have their own special names.......
I think you''re confusing the use of the term "sapphire" with the term "corundum".

The terminology is historical and thus conventional. Don''t try to insist on sense where there is none.

Red corundum is referred to as ruby. Long ago many red gemstones were referred to as ruby, including Balas ruby (spinel).

In the gem trade, the term "sapphire" is often used to refer to blue sapphire. All the other colors are called "fancy sapphire". The pink orange sapphire is often given its own name (padparadscha).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2009 10:31:26 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
is there an official lab grading method to determine where pink ends and red begins?
I am very sure the labs do. What I don''t know is if the cut off mark is the same for all the labs (AGL, GIA, AIGS and the now closed AGTA, and others).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results