shape
carat
color
clarity

How does moissanite register on a diamond tester?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a F1 moissanite pre-loved ring recently and brought it in to have it sized. I asked them to test it just to make sure it's not a CZ and when they tested it they said it registered just slightly above a CZ but not as a diamond.

This is a reputable jewelry store so im sure they know what they're doing but I always understood that moissanite will register as a diamond. Not looking to pass it off as a diamond but I want to make sure I didn't pay for moissanite and get a CZ.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought moissanite would not test as a diamond...o_O

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to look this up. You're right, moissanite can read as diamond on a tester. A standard diamond tester will show a moissy as a diamond. A multi-tester can differentiate between the two. Maybe that's what your jeweler had.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to look this up. You're right, moissanite can read as diamond on a tester. A standard diamond tester will show a moissy as a diamond. A multi-tester can differentiate between the two. Maybe that's what your jeweler had.

I'm thinking they have the multi tester. After I thought about it he told me it didn't read as a cz but didn't read as a diamond. Since there is no moissanite option maybe no need to worry.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a Presidum gem tester, a Moissanite should test as “diamond”. This is because their thermal conductivity is similiar. A CZ will always “test” as glass on a Presidium. If your Moissanite is clean and still registering other than “diamond” on a Presidum it isn’t a Moissanite. 40564C1B-040C-4812-A9CE-4E054E51FC6A.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@elle_71125 and @Bron357 thank you so much for your replies, I don't have a gem tester yet, been trying to decide on the best one to get but I did make friends today with a super down to earth woman who owns a pawn shop so maybe I'll have her test it next week. These jewelers that are sizing the ring do great work but they are a little on the uppity side. When I asked the guy if her ever sees moissanite the answer was a definite no lol! Maybe if diamonds paid my bills I would feel the same about moissanite.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In the early days of Mossanite all gem testers showed it as diamond. People caught on pretty quickly and testers improved. Although Mossanite is more heat-conductive than other stones, the conductivity is not identical to diamond.

Oddly enough, there's been a proliferation of cheap testers sold on the net that do not differentiate Moissanite from diamond. Add that to the fact that the tester has to be calibrated properly to catch the slight difference in conductivity, and you've got a lot of people being fooled.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My local jeweler has a tester that has moissanite on the meter so when they check it the pointer will go to moissanite. I have had a moissy test as diamond elsewhere as well.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A little off the topic but I read online that all Charles and Collard moissanites are laser inscribed on the girdle if they are forever brilliant or forever one so since the ring it at the shop getting worked on, I'm going to have the jeweler check it out.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results