carat
color
clarity

How does moissanite compare to diamond?

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
hi guys

Quick question - how does a moissanite compare looks-wise to a diamond? Was thinking of getting a rose cut or emerald cut moissanite but what I worry is that you won’t get the same fire and lustre you get with a diamond.

Anyone have personal experience with one?

Thanks

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forum rules on this board don't allow us to discuss moissanite - strictly natural diamonds. Just to clarify your statement, moissanite have more fire than a natural diamond (its their "tell"). If you search on google for "moissy emerald cut" you'll find links on other boards that you can read.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
p.s. Its still all about the quality of the cut...and there is some bad stuff out there. Good luck!

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Forum rules on this board don't allow us to discuss moissanite - strictly natural diamonds. Just to clarify your statement, moissanite have more fire than a natural diamond (its their "tell"). If you search on google for "moissy emerald cut" you'll find links on other boards that you can read.

Thanks. Didn’t know that it wasn’t allowed.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moissanite has more fire / sparkle than a diamond (due to the refractive index). Some moissanite are cut beautifully and in a way that minimizes the sparkle a bit (so that it has a more diamond like appearance). They are a very popular diamond simulant because most people won't know a moissy from a diamond.

Amora gem is one brand known for their beautiful moissanite (though I believe they said it is different from other moissanite, it is still of the silicon carbide family). I've seen some good reviews for ENV moissanite from JYB jewels on etsy. @mochiko42 has a stunning ring with ENV moissanite in it. It looks very diamond like to me. August Vintage Inc also just started selling some gorgeous moissanite too.

greenteabiscuit

Rough_Rock
I bought and returned some h&a round and oec moissanites sold by a popular vendor. The ones I bought did not have enough contrast in daylight that they looked milky/blurry and appeared to lack depth. These are attributes I do not see in my diamonds which are all ideal cut. Whether or not a lot of “maul” stones have this appearance, I do not know. A lot of people Who bought and were happy with moissanites said the stones looked better than real diamonds but I found the statement did not apply in my case. I read that Amoras have more diamond like depth and lusted but have not had a chance to see one in person. I would not be surprised if many emerald cut moissanites also lacked contrast in daylight (Btw, many ec moissanites are not cut like ec diamonds. The windmills would be a giveaway to me). But I have great hopes for avc moissanites because it is designed by someone who has expertise in diamonds. Hence the reason why I lurk on this part of pricescope.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a Charles and Colvard RB Moissanite and I really like it. Its a bit like a disco ball in sunlight (A bit OTT) and also have some cheap and cheerful greenish blue ones from eBay (they are produced in India). I actually prefer the blue/ green ones. They are interesting stones, I don’t compare them to diamonds because they aren’t. They have good durability, slightly higher on Mohos than sapphire. Moissanite now comes in different qualities, the “whiter” the more expensive. There’s a type called Amora which are supposed to be most diamond like, but I prefer the cheaper more “yellowish” ones because I’m not spending thousands on a man made stone!
46F0C497-CF58-4BDC-88BC-D1FF7683A74B.jpeg B005251A-5107-40FA-933B-721EEE6E5DD7.jpeg

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I bought and returned some h&a round and oec moissanites sold by a popular vendor. The ones I bought did not have enough contrast in daylight that they looked milky/blurry and appeared to lack depth. These are attributes I do not see in my diamonds which are all ideal cut. Whether or not a lot of “maul” stones have this appearance, I do not know. A lot of people Who bought and were happy with moissanites said the stones looked better than real diamonds but I found the statement did not apply in my case. I read that Amoras have more diamond like depth and lusted but have not had a chance to see one in person. I would not be surprised if many emerald cut moissanites also lacked contrast in daylight (Btw, many ec moissanites are not cut like ec diamonds. The windmills would be a giveaway to me). But I have great hopes for avc moissanites because it is designed by someone who has expertise in diamonds. Hence the reason why I lurk on this part of pricescope.

I think I would actually have to see a diamond and moissanite side by side to see the differences that you describe. I suppose it is difficult to find something that’s ever going to be as good.

kevnick80

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a Charles and Colvard RB Moissanite and I really like it. Its a bit like a disco ball in sunlight (A bit OTT) and also have some cheap and cheerful greenish blue ones from eBay (they are produced in India). I actually prefer the blue/ green ones. They are interesting stones, I don’t compare them to diamonds because they aren’t. They have good durability, slightly higher on Mohos than sapphire. Moissanite now comes in different qualities, the “whiter” the more expensive. There’s a type called Amora which are supposed to be most diamond like, but I prefer the cheaper more “yellowish” ones because I’m not spending thousands on a man made stone!
46F0C497-CF58-4BDC-88BC-D1FF7683A74B.jpeg B005251A-5107-40FA-933B-721EEE6E5DD7.jpeg

I see what you mean about the green/blue tint. It’s quite apparent from the photo, especially side by side.

Why are the moissanite produced in India like that?

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you mean about the green/blue tint. It’s quite apparent from the photo, especially side by side.

Why are the moissanite produced in India like that?

I believe the OP was saying that these are both moissanites. The left one being the standard white moissy and the one on the right being a blue green moissy.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would actually have to see a diamond and moissanite side by side to see the differences that you describe. I suppose it is difficult to find something that’s ever going to be as good.
The natural colour of Moissanite is green / yellow. White colours are produced by what was a patented process owned by Charles and Colvard. That patent has expired so now any country can make them. I presume, price wise, that white ones are more expensive to make. Moissanite is a real natural crystal, found in meteorites, but tiny tiny. It’s Silcon Carbide. It had actually been in production for many years (before use as a gem) as an industrial abrasive (for grit wheels) as its nearly as hard as diamond but much much cheaper.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Not all moissanites are created equal - I had to kiss a lot of frogs to find a line that I'm happy putting my name on, so to speak, both in cut quality and color consistency (colorless). A beautifully cut colorless moissanite will be very diamond-like, though I can only speak to the antique cuts, not the H&As. The amount of fire and sparkle will rival any diamond - I adore them, both as gorgeous gems in their own right, as well as diamond alternatives.

Q

Queenie60

Johnathan has some moissanites on his website - Augustvintageinc.com. He is showing h&a, ideal cut round brilliant ones. Tempting!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Johnathan has some moissanites on his website - Augustvintageinc.com. He is showing h&a, ideal cut round brilliant ones. Tempting!!

I'll second that! :love:
I ordered an elongated cushion cut, during his prototype sale. I can't wait to see how it looks in person.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's an ENV moissanite ring.

received_695011254038819.jpeg received_695011257372152.jpeg 20171016_105302.jpg 20171016_110004.jpg
Mochiko, where did you get the ENV moissanite from? it's fabulously diamond-like.

Also does anyone know what sort of moissanite JuliaB uses? Is it ENV? I'm looking to get some rose cuts for a toi et moi ring and after seeing LoveAffairDiamonds' IG of rose cut moissy, I am in love!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochiko, where did you get the ENV moissanite from? it's fabulously diamond-like.

Also does anyone know what sort of moissanite JuliaB uses? Is it ENV? I'm looking to get some rose cuts for a toi et moi ring and after seeing LoveAffairDiamonds' IG of rose cut moissy, I am in love!

If I'm not mistaken, ENV moissanite is sold by JYB jewels on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/JYBJewels?section_id=20685057

https://www.instagram.com/jybjewels/?max_id=1519181894846964380

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mochiko42! I've got a quote from JYB for rose cuts as well as JuliaB... Just have to work out the details (exchange rate makes everything so expensive in NZD$!!)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have moissy and diamonds. I lose earrings so I’m prefer the moissy in a size 1 ct or smaller. cant tell the difference and I’m not going to beat it up. I also have a 1 cttw eternity band but nothing beats a real diamond for me.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
@ericad - would you mind sharing what moissanite ended up being your prince and why? I am trying to sort through all the options and it's so hard to compare online... Would love to hear from someone who's been through it and found an old cut she likes (I am deciding between an OEC and an Antique Cushion). Thanks!!!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Erica has her own shop, so I assume, she was talking about the stones, she sells. They are beautiful, and Erica is very easy to work with. I can only recommend her!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@ericad - would you mind sharing what moissanite ended up being your prince and why? I am trying to sort through all the options and it's so hard to compare online... Would love to hear from someone who's been through it and found an old cut she likes (I am deciding between an OEC and an Antique Cushion). Thanks!!!

I wish I could, but as a vendor I'm prohibited from posting anything that resembles self-promotion lol. :kiss2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could, but as a vendor I'm prohibited from posting anything that resembles self-promotion lol. :kiss2:

Wink once got permission to share jewels in his (and his wife’s) personal collection... would you be able to do that, maybe?

Q

Queenie60

You can see Erica's stones on her IG. Wouldn't that work?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I do t know if you're still investigating this but I have a C&C H&A and the main difference I notice is the fire in the moissy seems to be inside the stone whereas with a diamond it jumps out into the air. Not sure if that's the case for other types of moissy.

It's very pretty though, especially under halogens. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results